·
Registered
18,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Reactions: Blind Dog

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
I would have a hard time paying 1,000 for a no name guitar , no matter what it was made of ...the other thing that stands out is the two piece African Mahogany body. The experience I have had with this mahogany, it’s very very heavy, nothing like Honduras Mahogany.

·
Premium Member
2,461 Posts
And it’s USD, so you’re looking at more like $1300, plus shipping, duties and taxes. So we’re probably looking at, what, $1500? One could get a PRS SE or one of the higher end Epiphones for way less and play it first to make sure it plays and feels right. The high end Epis and the SEs are both very good.

Or, as @Scotty said, a nice MIJ, if you can find one.

·
Registered
18,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I would have a hard time paying 1,000 for a no name guitar , no matter what it was made of ...the other thing that stands out is the two piece African Mahogany body. The experience I have had with this mahogany, it’s very very heavy, nothing like Honduras Mahogany.
I have never needed a brand name on a guitar. I wonder what a brand name guitar with those specs would cost.

·
Registered
401 Posts
it looks great...I'd love to hear an objective take on this from an owner.....I really don't care about the label....but I'd have to play it first.....which really is a great way to not buy guitars I don't need ! lol

·
Premium Member
435 Posts
That's a nice looking guitar. I also like to play before I buy but I took a chance recently on a MIJ Burny L.P. Custom copy and after a proper setup it plays beautiful. I also have a cheap Squier Mustang that's a great player once it got a good setup. I play that one a lot because it's not so expensive that I have to baby it or have a panic attack if a drunk friend asks to play it. I used to be a big Gibson fanboy but I like my Burny more than any of the Gibson's I've owned in recent years. It cost me thousands less than a real deal 82 Les Paul custom in good condition. I don't think I'd be able to tell the difference with a blindfold on. At this point I like playability on the cheap over a big name on the headstock. I don't like owning guitars that would cost thousands to replace if it had a bad spill or got stolen. I can take my Burny out and not have to worry about the 4000 or more replacement cost if someone walked away with it.

·
Registered
18,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That's a nice looking guitar. I also like to play before I buy but I took a chance recently on a MIJ Burny L.P. Custom copy and after a proper setup it plays beautiful. I also have a cheap Squier Mustang that's a great player once it got a good setup. I play that one a lot because it's not so expensive that I have to baby it or have a panic attack if a drunk friend asks to play it. I used to be a big Gibson fanboy but I like my Burny more than any of the Gibson's I've owned in recent years. It cost me thousands less than a real deal 82 Les Paul custom in good condition. I don't think I'd be able to tell the difference with a blindfold on. At this point I like playability on the cheap over a big name on the headstock. I don't like owning guitars that would cost thousands to replace if it had a bad spill or got stolen. I can take my Burny out and not have to worry about the 4000 or more replacement cost if someone walked away with it.
I feel the same way about guitars as you do. You post shows you don't need to spend thousands or have a certain name on the headstock to have a great guitar.

Reactions: Scotty

·
Premium Member
16,805 Posts
I feel the same way about guitars as you do. You post shows you don't need to spend thousands or have a certain name on the headstock to have a great guitar.
But we've proved that you can spend around a grand and get that name on the guitar, which is some level of assurance that you're getting a well built piece of equipment. Many companies offer guitars that can be had for sub-$1000 that you could play around the globe without more than a setup.

·
Premium Member
435 Posts
But we've proved that you can spend around a grand and get that name on the guitar, which is some level of assurance that you're getting a well built piece of equipment. Many companies offer guitars that can be had for sub-$1000 that you could play around the globe without more than a setup.
For sure. My only problem there is at that price point you can't get some the cosmetics you can get when going away from the major brands. I was a big Randy Rhodes fan when I was a kid so I always wanted a white L.P. Custom. I really like the way they look right down to the open book headstock with the binding. The Burny got me real close (pretty much exact other than the name) looks wise without a huge price tag. I could have got a brand new Epiphone for the same money but the headstock doesn't really do it for me. My L.P. studio is a great player and sounds great but it just doesn't look all that awesome.

·
Registered
18,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I don't think so. Do they come with a 1/2" maple top and is it a new guitar or used with at least some fret wear? Does it have SS fret? Glow in the dark inlays?

·
Premium Member
16,805 Posts
I don't think so. Do they come with a 1/2" maple top and is it a new guitar or used with at least some fret wear? Does it have SS fret? Glow in the dark inlays?
Glow inlays dont stay glowing, so there's that. SS frets arent everyones preference. You think that maple top doesnt have a photo top veneer on it? Define "some fret wear" - you would need to measure with calipers. I have had my current guitar for over a year of steady playing, and dont notice fret wear.

And to anwer all your questions, people have and do gig epi LP standards across continents. So...

L

·
0 Posts
it just doesn't look all that awesome.
It also eliminates the temptation of theft by someone that also likes that fancy headstock. o_O

It's what's under the hood that counts.
Most of my guitars are offshore MIK/MIJ's.
Not everyone would want them, however, friends that have played mine cant get over the sound and feel.
I set them up right and gut them for better stuff when necessary.
ie; rare 1/200(?) MIK Morgan Monroe ES 335 ish - gold Gibson '57 classics, gold grover lockers, Gibson pots/Sprague orange caps/Switchcraft switch & jack, all in a new Yorkville archtop case.
The only reason it's on kijiji now is that I already have a 335 which I prefer more.

·
Premium Member
16,805 Posts
I definitely think so too. Some people crap on them and other MIJ stuff just cause it's not an actual Gibson though.
We call them "purists" (regardless of product) and I dont think they realize it's not always meant in kind.

1 - 20 of 108 Posts