The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am starting the build process on another partscaster. Looking for some suggestions on where to acquire aged nickel Tele hardware. Standard stuff for the most parts, bridge will be a half ashtray sorta deal.

·
Registered
11,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am a huge fan of Rutters Guitars. The owner Marc is a great guy to deal with and ships quickly

Rutters Guitars - Vintage
I just put a Rutters bridge on one of my Tele's, the one he machines out of steel, its nice. I'd like to try something different if possible but he does have some nice half and chopped bridge options, which is what I'm after.

·
Premium Member
1,063 Posts
There’s not much of a selection out there in nickle.

Are you looking for aged stuff or to age it yourself?

Nickle ages pretty quickly with sweaty hands.

When I was selling aged parts I was buying them off eBay piece by piece.
If you’re wanting to buy a whole guitars worth in 1 go that’s not the way to do it.

I think allparts sells nickle, check with an allparts dealer.

Stewmac sells aged parts as well.

Nathan

·
Premium Member
1,063 Posts
The raw steel from rutters might age nicely on its own or with a salt water/vinegar treatment.

I age Chrome parts with muriatic acid but it’s nasty stuff.
Like super nasty toxic fumes.
Do not try to do that in a basement or attached garage.

It’s not predictable, I have had it eat right through the Chrome and expose the metal underneath.... not really a good look lol

Nathan

·
Premium Member
4,486 Posts
be careful with the muriatic, its nasty stuff. Also stuff in the stores is around 30%, i would dilute to 10% with water. Also have a bottle of windex or a bucket of baking soda close by to neutralize.

·
Registered
11,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
be careful with the muriatic, its nasty stuff. Also stuff in the stores is around 30%, i would dilute to 10% with water. Also have a bottle of windex or a bucket of baking soda close by to neutralize.
I was offered a little help from some of the local forum members who have done it and had good results, I'll take them up on it. I've been shopping around with the sales and making lists, finally placed four orders last night so all the hardware should be coming in nickel.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts