The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 168 Posts

·
Registered
9,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I met someone a little while ago who I am interested in, and the interest is clearly mutual. In fact, she kind of initiated things in the first place. Nothing has happened yet, but it is pretty clear where this situation seems to be going. We both have rather busy and hectic lives (me with work, my puppy, and my elderly mother to deal with and her with two jobs which sometimes entail 12 hour work days multiple days each week) so neither of us has much time to spend with someone else. If things progressed it would have to be on a somewhat casual basis, at least until life's circumstances changed for one, or both, of us thus affording us more spare time. Despite how hectic our lives are we manage to talk every day, even if it just quick text messages as she rushes from one job to the other, and we get along extremely well. As I said, it is pretty clear where this situation seems to be going.

That all sounds pretty good right? Well there is a problem - she is younger than me. And when I say younger, I mean much younger. Like 30 years younger. She is mature and responsible for her age (due to family circumstances she has been on her own since she was 18), so is far from your typical 19 year old (she'll be 20 in a few weeks).

So I'm not sure what to do about this. Do I continue interacting with her to see how things progress? If so, should I let the age issue factor in or should I just put it out of my mind? Or should I just walk away since there is such a large age difference? In many countries nobody would give a crap about the age difference but here in North America it is a larger issue and an age difference like that is less acceptable. Should I let that influence me, or should I say screw it and not let the rest of society determine who I date?

I guess, in a nutshell, I am just trying to get other people's opinions on how much of an issue the age difference is, or if it should be an issue at all.

So what do the rest of you think - how big of an age difference is acceptable?

·
Registered
9,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
man, I hope you’re dating one of your students. don’t end up on the news. good luck

We're not dating at the moment, and I would never risk my job by getting involved with a student. This individual has nothing to do with work whatsoever.

That being said, a girl in my class tonight stopped me in my tracks because she looks exactly like an ex-girlfriend of mine - and I mean exactly like her 9well what the ex looked like at that age).

But again, I would never mess around with a student.

·
Premium Member
2,174 Posts
One thing to think about is children. She will most likely want children. Doing the math you must be 49. If you have children over the next few years you will have teenagers while you are in your 60’s. I am a very healthy, active 64 year old. I would be hard pressed to keep up with a couple of teenage kids. I have one teenage grandson and one tween granddaughter. I love them dearly and spend as much time as I can with them but my lord I am worn out after a day with them. If you are serious about this and you both want children you need to get started on that soon. Other than that I say what does age matter? My wife is ten years younger than me. My only worry about the age difference is that I may end up frail and she’ll end up as my caregiver. I wouldn’t want her to suffer through that.

L

·
0 Posts
Whilst looking at a sunshine girl ..
'Oh man, that's a sweet looking young thing'
'You know, she could be your daughter'
'Yeah .. but she's not'

·
Premium Member
17,161 Posts
How long do you see this relationship lasting?

·
Registered
9,652 Posts
Tough one. My 2nd wife was 13 years younger than me and it was kinda "Penthouse Letters" at first and then the age difference started creeping in. Having said that, the perfect "Girl age" for me has always been 19 - when I was 11 I wanted 19 year old girls. When I was 20 I wanted 19 year old girls. To this day 19 year old girls are still perfect. Problem is that there was only a brief period of time when I could actually have one and have it make sense. Not any longer.

So, on one hand I'm jealous of your situation and say "have at it". But we also know how this one will end - the first time you play a blues lick, talk about Jimmy Page, or the Moon landing you'll see the look on her face. The first time she gushes for Beiber, Drake, or Bro Country or uses an app to put kitten features on your picture you'll be wanting to kill yourself.

But the heck with rationalization .......................... she's 19!!!!!!! :)

·
Registered
9,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
How long do you see this relationship lasting?

Like any new relationship, I would have no idea. As I said, circumstances would dictate that it be something rather casual for the time being, and then we'd see where we were once circumstances changed (if they changed).

·
Registered
9,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
One thing to think about is children. She will most likely want children. Doing the math you must be 49. If you have children over the next few years you will have teenagers while you are in your 60’s. I am a very healthy, active 64 year old. I would be hard pressed to keep up with a couple of teenage kids. I have one teenage grandson and one tween granddaughter. I love them dearly and spend as much time as I can with them but my lord I am worn out after a day with them. If you are serious about this and you both want children you need to get started on that soon. Other than that I say what does age matter? My wife is ten years younger than me. My only worry about the age difference is that I may end up frail and she’ll end up as my caregiver. I wouldn’t want her to suffer through that.

While kids are certainly something to think about, we are about a hundred miles away from having to consider anything like that.

1 - 20 of 168 Posts