The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1. bridge pickup: either an articulate and relatively bright-sounding (especially on the low strings) dual-rail humbucker, or a *beefy noiseless single coil (which would mean switching back to a 250k volume pot).

2. neck pickup: if i keep the 500k volume pot, i'll have to replace that overly bright fender p90 with a darker sounding p90, or a relatively bright mini-humbucker.

* at this point, having done a bit of research, i am thinking that going back to a 250k pot and putting a beefy noiseless single coil in the bridge is the way to go. from what i have been reading, humbuckers are just too dark and muddy, and contrast too starkly with my other single coil instruments.

any suggestions?

-dh

·
Registered
585 Posts
My suggestion is to install independant pots/controls for each pickup so then not only do you get to combine your two most wanted pickups, you get to independantly set them to your liking :). That is of course if you want to drill a few small holes. But the possitives outweigh the negatives on that so long as you do it right.

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
SinCron said:
My suggestion is to install independant pots/controls for each pickup so then not only do you get to combine your two most wanted pickups, you get to independantly set them to your liking :). That is of course if you want to drill a few small holes. But the possitives outweigh the negatives on that so long as you do it right.
...i'm strictly a one volume control guy, which is (one reason, at least) why you don't see me playing gibsons.

-dh

·
Premium Member
13,044 Posts
I've heard that there are a lot of good P90s out there. Original Gibson, Kent Armstrong, Harmonic Design,... list goes on.

·
Registered
666 Posts
I was like you Dave, and thought all buckers were too dark, and compared to real SC`s, they are, but I recently put a Duncan`59 in the bridge of my Gdin, and was pleasantly surprised. The Custom Custom that I removed, not only was twice as hot, which I hate, but way dark sounding. Plus, when you rolled off the volume, it lost almost all the top end. The `59 was way better. Shop a bit.

CT.

·
Premium Member
161 Posts
FWI, I had a lollar P90 in the neck of a tele not so long ago w/ 250K pots and it sounded great... definitely not bright.

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
CocoTone said:
I was like you Dave, and thought all buckers were too dark, and compared to real SC`s, they are, but I recently put a Duncan`59 in the bridge of my Gdin, and was pleasantly surprised. The Custom Custom that I removed, not only was twice as hot, which I hate, but way dark sounding. Plus, when you rolled off the volume, it lost almost all the top end. The `59 was way better. Shop a bit. CT.
...this is encouraging! i'm still awaiting some recommendations from my tech, who is also a seymour duncan fan.

it would be great to have one humbucker-equiped guitar, especially for slide.

-dh

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
...at this point, i'm thinking of putting a seymour duncan mini-humbucker in the neck and waiting for dimarzio to offer a tele bridge version of their new area series of noiseless single coils.

-dh

·
Registered
561 Posts
Hi Dave, too bad i didn't know, at the show I actually had some stacked (ganged) cts pots from Tonestyler that are 250k on one deck and 500k on the other.....so you'd be only turning one pot but getting the desired effect for each pickup. You could also adjust the taper and hi-pass bypass seperately without changing the guitar from the outside. still available

here's another idea (which we don't sell at this time).....put a TVJones p-90 sized Gretsch style PU in the neck????

Andy

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
sysexguy said:
Hi Dave, too bad i didn't know, at the show I actually had some stacked (ganged) cts pots from Tonestyler that are 250k on one deck and 500k on the other.....so you'd be only turning one pot but getting the desired effect for each pickup. You could also adjust the taper and hi-pass bypass seperately without changing the guitar from the outside. still available
here's another idea (which we don't sell at this time).....put a TVJones p-90 sized Gretsch style PU in the neck????
Andy
...thanks, andy. i'm thinking of springing for a joe barden bridge, so if i keep the p90 neck that tonestyler will be mighty useful!

on the other hand, the gretsch tvjones is something i've never looked into. i'll go do a little research now.

-dh

·
Registered
40 Posts
Maybe you should have a read of the reviews of the seymour duncan jazz humbucker;

http://www.harmony-central.com/Guitar/Data2/Seymour_Duncan/SH-2N-Jazz-Neck-01.html

What you want sounds like what I want as well and my search effectively stopped after reading the reviews of this pickup. I wonder if they make one in the size that you need for the aerodyne?
Or if they make one in the strat size.

I'm ok cause I just need the normal humbucker size, so I just have to pay a few bills off and find one for cheap....

I tried the Aerodyne at L&M last night it is a very very nice guitar. To me it seemed 'neutral' like you don't have to work against it in your hands. That and the 60th, (or whatever it is) anniversary tele with the binding on top and the cutaway on the back are nice tele's and the Aerodyne is a whole nuther level higher than that one.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts