The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need some advise on humbucker. Right now the pickup in the Memphis Studio 335 is a Dirty Fingers model, i assume high output. I know nothing about humbuckers so need advise on a lower output model. I think it has a quick disconnect to the tone volume pots. Any info greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
17,352 Posts
What dont you like about the sound? Have you dropped the height to its lowest?

·
Premium Member
17,352 Posts
I have not played with the height yet. It plays well but i would like a softer sound,less crunch i guess.
Try dropping it as low as it goes and see if it cleans up enough. Does turning the gain down on your amp sort it out or does the pickup clip it?

·
Premium Member
2,512 Posts
There are tons of options. I really liked the Vineham Vivid in the neck position of my Tele and I've read that low output Alnico 2 humbuckers do well in semi-hollows. As to quick-connect, you can get Vineham to do a four-wire version and solder the wires up to the quick-connect connectors on your current pickups, or maybe even buy the molex connectors and hook them up yourself.

I'm sure many of our members have experience with 335s and could give you some more informed opinions (I'm just always happy to recommend Vineham because they are awesome).

·
Premium Member
4,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
There are tons of options. I really liked the Vineham Vivid in the neck position of my Tele and I've read that low output Alnico 2 humbuckers do well in semi-hollows. As to quick-connect, you can get Vineham to do a four-wire version and solder the wires up to the quick-connect connectors on your current pickups, or maybe even buy the molex connectors and hook them up yourself.

I'm sure many of our members have experience with 335s and could give you some more informed opinions (I'm just always happy to recommend Vineham because they are awesome).
Much appreciated

·
Premium Member
4,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Try dropping it as low as it goes and see if it cleans up enough. Does turning the gain down on your amp sort it out or does the pickup clip it?
Whats a gain? LOL. Seriously the amps that i am using are ultra clean. Will try and lower the bridge and play around with it. Much appreciate the input.

·
Premium Member
4,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Trying to see if it can work before the iron comes out haha.
Just had a look at the strings and they are pretty close to the pickup. I dont think i can get them closer without the strings touching the pickup screws when playing. There is one thing that i noticed is that where the pickup plugs into the little circuit board vol, tone pots that the wiring has been taped up like someone could have replaced the pick up at some time but i am just guessing. Probably should take a resistance reading to verify that it really is the pickup that came with the guitar. Mind you, i am a Fender single coil guy for over 35 years and maybe thats just the way the humbucker should sound.

·
Registered
12,085 Posts
I had a DF in the Burny I used to have, it is an aggressive pickup, it's also ceramic.

Lower the pickup down, probably the further the better in this case.

·
Premium Member
17,352 Posts
Just had a look at the strings and they are pretty close to the pickup. I dont think i can get them closer without the strings touching the pickup screws when playing. There is one thing that i noticed is that where the pickup plugs into the little circuit board vol, tone pots that the wiring has been taped up like someone could have replaced the pick up at some time but i am just guessing. Probably should take a resistance reading to verify that it really is the pickup that came with the guitar. Mind you, i am a Fender single coil guy for over 35 years and maybe thats just the way the humbucker should sound.
You want the pickup farther away from the strings, not closer.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts