The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for your opinions fellow members. Posted my YGM-3 combo for sale and what do you guys think of these amps? I am still not sure i am doing the right thing and may keep it. Seems that most Traynor amps posted here dont sell quickly. But for some reason, Fender amps do much better. Your input is most welcomed and will help me in my decision.
Thanks

·
Registered
576 Posts
I recently sold my Reissue ygm3. It had a beautiful clean sound, but I couldn't get it to overdrive properly. Even cranked with an overdrive pedal and humbuckers, it wouldn't feedback. Too clean. I finally decided to stop fighting it and get a different amp.

I think the fenders are better known, and break up a bit better. But th Traynors are solid and reliable, if you're lucky enough to like the sound, even better

·
Premium Member
4,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Gene Machine, good point. For me feedback is not a priority but i understand that for many it could be.It is a great clean amp and solid.

·
Registered
3,298 Posts
A speaker change will do wonders. As for the amount of gain, if these are the same circuit as the old ones a simple cap and resistor change here and there should help open it up and let it roar.

Honestly, the RIs are hard to move because sellers want to recoup some of the money they spent. Therefore, a used RI ends up being more than an original vintage. I sold a late 70s model for $350 about two years ago. I had exactly one interested party (the buyer) after weeks of posting it here and on kijiji.

·
Premium Member
4,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
A speaker change will do wonders. As for the amount of gain, if these are the same circuit as the old ones a simple cap and resistor change here and there should help open it up and let it roar.

Honestly, the RIs are hard to move because sellers want to recoup some of the money they spent. Therefore, a used RI ends up being more than an original vintage. I sold a late 70s model for $350 about two years ago. I had exactly one interested party (the buyer) after weeks of posting it here and on kijiji.
Its a funny market. I am very pleased with the amp overall but wanted to sell as i dont use it that much and could always need an extra 600.00. If a late 70,s original is going for that price, not worth trying to sell mine. Too bad cause a handwired point to point amp is way more expensive than this one. Thank you all for your input.

·
Premium Member
1,313 Posts
Have you really, fully investigated what makes that amp tick? I have an original, well serviced 1976, open back version of the YGM3.

The tone stack on these amps is what makes them sweet and will make them drive. The old Traynor non-master volume amps have incredible, bass and treble circuitry, that will push the amp tonally in beautiful ways. Set them on 10, and work your way back, trying to stay out of the mud. At this point, adding pedals, makes it even sweeter.

Unfortunately, it will take a good speaker, and half to 3/4 volume to get the amp to start driving; the key is to use the tone stack to push the amp for driven tone. The use of an attenuator, or as in my situation with the open back cab, I installed a Reignmaker speaker with the adjustable knob on the back of the speaker.

·
Premium Member
11,629 Posts
Unfortunately, it will take a good speaker, and half to 3/4 volume to get the amp to start driving; the key is to use the tone stack to push the amp for driven tone. The use of an attenuator, or as in my situation with the open back cab, I installed a Reignmaker speaker with the adjustable knob on the back of the speaker.
How are you liking the Reignmaker? I installed a Maverick (their American voice FDM speaker) in my DRRI. I like it a lot. I think this is under-appreciated tech for NMV amps. Gotta be open-back, though.

·
Premium Member
1,313 Posts
@High/Deaf, I like the Reignmaker enough to keep my eyes open for a used pair: one Maverick, and one more Reignmaker, to load into my Garnet Session Man. I think that it would ne a nice tonal improvement with benefits.

·
Premium Member
4,078 Posts
Just a question Marc, why are you not using it? Is it too heavy to carry? Or too loud? I'm on a hiatus from buying gear, I would've jumped on that amp if I wasn't.

·
Premium Member
1,750 Posts
I had 2 or 3 of them over the years and as mentioned in an earlier post, they really benefit from a speaker change. The YGM-1 is nice too albeit a bit lower powered.

Good value in a hardwired amp IMO.

·
Premium Member
3,084 Posts
I like the YGM3 because it does NOT break up easily. I have another amp for that. If you use clean, the vintage or RI is a decent portable amp which will take a bass guitar in a pinch as well. There are a million ways to add distortion, but clean is hard to do.

The reverb is overbearing if set over 2. The tremolo is great.

I recommend the Alltone 1250 speaker, which I sold (mistake).

·
Premium Member
4,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just a question Marc, why are you not using it? Is it too heavy to carry? Or too loud? I'm on a hiatus from buying gear, I would've jumped on that amp if I wasn't.
Its heavy buddy. It sounds fantastic, no issues. I have decided to keep it after all and use it only when i can roll it into any of the halls i play at.

·
Premium Member
4,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I like the YGM3 because it does NOT break up easily. I have another amp for that. If you use clean, the vintage or RI is a decent portable amp which will take a bass guitar in a pinch as well. There are a million ways to add distortion, but clean is hard to do.

The reverb is overbearing if set over 2. The tremolo is great.

I recommend the Alltone 1250 speaker, which I sold (mistake).
Thank you for the info. And yes, the trem is just glorious. I dont use the reverb as i like really long lush reverb tones and have a great pedal for that. My Barber Gain changer really sounds good with it also. I dont play anything metal so its all good.

·
Premium Member
4,078 Posts
Its heavy buddy. It sounds fantastic, no issues. I have decided to keep it after all and use it only when i can roll it into any of the halls i play at.
You need a roadie! :D BTW good to know you are enjoying the Gain Changer.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts