The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sup sup,

well i have been playing electric guitar for about 5 years and i still stink!! haha.. just because i never really had lessons or any other musical background.. and most importantly i never practice.

i have always been playing my church's squire and i do not like it.. it sounds bad plus i have no effects pedals etc.

so now that i have finished school and can make some $$$ i am thinking of buying a decent guitar.

i was thinking of getting the Epiphone Les Paul Custom (do not know colour yet)
is this a good buy?

does anyone know where i can get a decent priced one? Steve's Music sells them for about $650 and $80 for hard case. do they cut cash deals there? probably not eh?

also if i were to buy two or three pedals what would be some nice ones to start with?

i like playing with a nice distortion, delay etc (the usual)

i like the distortion on the CANON rock video on youtube by Funtwo but i know that his effects board is no longer being made..

anyway hopefully someone can give me some advice ..

thanks

·
Premium Member
16,672 Posts
Sup sup,

well i have been playing electric guitar for about 5 years and i still stink!! haha.. just because i never really had lessons or any other musical background.. and most importantly i never practice.

i have always been playing my church's squire and i do not like it.. it sounds bad plus i have no effects pedals etc.

so now that i have finished school and can make some $$$ i am thinking of buying a decent guitar.

i was thinking of getting the Epiphone Les Paul Custom (do not know colour yet)
is this a good buy?

does anyone know where i can get a decent priced one? Steve's Music sells them for about $650 and $80 for hard case. do they cut cash deals there? probably not eh?

also if i were to buy two or three pedals what would be some nice ones to start with?

i like playing with a nice distortion, delay etc (the usual)

i like the distortion on the CANON rock video on youtube by Funtwo but i know that his effects board is no longer being made..

anyway hopefully someone can give me some advice ..

thanks
Hello there.

I would recommend a used Gibson Les Paul Studio over a new Epiphone. You should be able to get one for $600. case included.

If you don't have any pedals, you might want to check out a multi effects pedal of some sort. These give you amazing bang for the buck and some of them have excellent sounding effects.

Good luck!

·
Premium Member
2,198 Posts
Agree with used. A used Les Paul studio (I haven't seen too many for $600, but $900 for sure), or a used godin with 2 humbuckers (LGHB) will cover that territory well, the epi's are OK but you can get a lot more for your money with used instuments.

For distortion, i'm not familiar with the video you mentioned, but again used is the way to go, go to songbird, try a few, and get what you like for half the price.

·
Premium Member
16,672 Posts
Agree with used. A used Les Paul studio (I haven't seen too many for $600, but $900 for sure), or a used godin with 2 humbuckers (LGHB) will cover that territory well, the epi's are OK but you can get a lot more for your money with used instuments.

For distortion, i'm not familiar with the video you mentioned, but again used is the way to go, go to songbird, try a few, and get what you like for half the price.
I bought one for $600. last summer. They're out there.

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
I picked up a dirt cheap Epiphone Les Paul and threw in Gibsons the electronics and pickups. Did a complete setup and now it sounds amazing. The best part is it only cost me a grand total of about $450 and a couple of hours work.

There is some great used equipment out there.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Songbird, Kijiji, Craigslist, here and eBay are probably your best bets for used gear.

Epiphone LP Custom is a nice guitar, they go for like $499 used in stores around here. There's an '05 Gibson LP Studio for $1299 in perfect condition locally... never seen one for lower than $900 in decent condition...

My suggestion would be get the Epiphone LP Custom, swap the electronics / pickups and it'll probably sound just as good as a Gibson would with the same pickups. Only difference is you won't have the headstock IMO.

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
I've read the other suggestions but one other place you may consider trying is Encore Music Exchange in Scarborough. They're at 40 Danforth Road close to Danforth Avenue. Sometimes you can find some pretty good deals there. Here's their website: http://www.encoremusicexchange.biz/

in that case anyone know a good used guitar store in the GTA?

·
Premium Member
13,055 Posts
I've seen a few studios on toronto.craigslist from $550 to $1000. Average price is around $750.

·
Premium Member
16,981 Posts
im suprised no one's asked yet?

what amp do you have? if that isnt up to snuff, you can run a PRS/gibson LP standard into your amp and you'll still have a sound you dont like. once you find a guitar you like the feel and playability of, keep it around - pickup upgrades are easy.

then, find an amp that makes you drool, and buy it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
hey the amp i mainly use is a marshall .. i forget the model number..but it's a lower model because the foot switch only have two buttons ; >

the one i practice on is a tiny mini piece of a thing and it;s a peavy.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts