The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read a bunch of threads here and elsewhere, but thought I'd ask once more just to cover my bases.

I'm going to be shipping my 81 Tokai Love Rock out West to BC. Apart from loosening the string a bit, supporting the headstock and packing the guitar tight in the case and the case tight in a box, any other hints?

Also, how has the current postal situation affected people who have been shipping in the last little bit.

Lastly, any idea roughly what it costs to ship a guitar these days across the country?

·
Registered
129 Posts
I've read a bunch of threads here and elsewhere, but thought I'd ask once more just to cover my bases.

I'm going to be shipping my 81 Tokai Love Rock out West to BC. Apart from loosening the string a bit, supporting the headstock and packing the guitar tight in the case and the case tight in a box, any other hints?

Also, how has the current postal situation affected people who have been shipping in the last little bit.

Lastly, any idea roughly what it costs to ship a guitar these days across the country?
Do not loosen the strings. Tune to pitch prior to boxing up. That way a setup won't be needed.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
129 Posts
Measure your box up, weigh or estimate the weight, go on Canada post website and you can obtain a fairly accurate quote. Need sending and receiving postal codes.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
I shipped and received many acoustics in the last ten years, some from/to as far as California and B.C. to/from Quebec.
There seems to be debate about loosening the strings : Jean Larrivée suggest not to do it as I remember. Maybe it works only for his brand. But those cracked headstocks (on other brands only ?) tell another story. I always loosened the strings and ask all senders to do so : did not take any risk with cold.

Obviously the guitar should not be allowed to move in her HSC. The HSC can be secured in a big box using 12-eggs crates or empty plastic bottles : it protects well while it does not add significantly to the overall weight of the package.

The cost (based on volume and weight) should average $100 with insurance and signature at delivery.

Once, I got a Martin OOO-15 shipped from Alberta to Quebec : I receive it in her simple cardboard case !!!
Was loosing my hair until I opened the case and found the guitar safe and sound ! But nobody would suggest that !

·
Registered
6,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Do not loosen the strings. Tune to pitch prior to boxing up. That way a setup won't be needed.

Why loosen the strings? Manufacturers ship them with the strings to tension.
So confusing! I've read many posts in forums that say the opposite - that backing off the tension a half-turn or so reduces the chance of a neck snapping-off!

Measure your box up, weigh or estimate the weight, go on Canada post website and you can obtain a fairly accurate quote. Need sending and receiving postal codes.

That's useful. I'll definitely do that.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I have shipped several guitars, both in Canada and the to the US. Always tuned to pitch, in a hard case, then the hard case in a cardboard box with adequate packing material around it. No problems.

Fender, Gibson, etc all do the same.

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
So confusing! I've read many posts in forums that say the opposite - that backing off the tension a half-turn or so reduces the chance of a neck snapping-off!

[/QUOTE

I keep reading that too but think it is internet mythology. As I mentioned, the manufacturers don't do that so it doesn't make sense that we should have to.

·
Premium Member
76 Posts
I encourage members to talk to the shipping company’s out there about INSURANCE?!
Doubles your shipping cost , but is it worth it?
They’ll take your money for it , but but but?!
Their very specific about paying a claim, most cases you must have original purchase receipt and item must be in original packaging??
In other words unless new , forget about collecting?
Never lost a package , so can’t add anymore.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts