The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to be in the US and can order lacquer and pick it up while I'm down there and was wondering if anyone could tell me approximately how much of each of these products I would need to finish one electric guitar. I realize it would only be a guess but it you could give me a ballpark figure on how much I should buy, I would appreciate it.
Grain filler
Sanding sealer
Nitro Lacquer

Just a rough idea would be great...like 1 pint 1 quart 2 quarts, etc,
Having never used it I have no idea.

·
Registered
644 Posts
I am going to be in the US and can order lacquer and pick it up while I'm down there and was wondering if anyone could tell me approximately how much of each of these products I would need to finish one electric guitar. I realize it would only be a guess but it you could give me a ballpark figure on how much I should buy, I would appreciate it.
Grain filler
Sanding sealer
Nitro Lacquer

Just a rough idea would be great...like 1 pint 1 quart 2 quarts, etc,
Having never used it I have no idea.
A pint of each should be more than enough but check the price it may be more economical to buy a a quart of each. You do know that you can source all of that easily in Canada. Benjimin Moore for filler & sealer & Lee Valley for the lacquer.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I did see nitrocellulose lacquer at the Lee Valley website, but it also said on that page that "These products are no longer available."
So I assumed that they were not carrying lacquer any more.
I haven't looked at Benjamin Moore. Do you know the product names for their grain filler and sealer? And they will work with nitro lacquer?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh, and thanks for the quick response to my question. I really do appreciate the help.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Well, I did see nitrocellulose lacquer at the Lee Valley website, but it also said on that page that "These products are no longer available."
So I assumed that they were not carrying lacquer any more.
I haven't looked at Benjamin Moore. Do you know the product names for their grain filler and sealer? And they will work with nitro lacquer?
Check to see if they still have brushing lacquer for instruments. Same thing only thicker. I thin with lacquer thinners and spray it. Sorry I don't know the exact name but I will tell you that you want clear sanding sealer and as long as it says, not for use with ureathane it's ok. If you want to use a poly finish you have to look that it says for use with urethane. As for grain filler, just ask
You won't need it for tight grained woods like maple if it's for mohogany get the filler that's colored for mohogany. Just ask in the store they seem to be quite knowledgeable about their products. You can check their website but it is US based and carries some different products that the Canadian stores don't.

Check out Copperheads thread about his Les Paul build, quite a bit of discussion about this very topic in there.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts