The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I have a Tascam US 1641. It has 8 XLR-1/4 combo inputs all with pres across the front. I have all of these used. On the back there are four 1/4 balanced inputs that are selectable -10 or +4db. I would like to connect mics to the rear inputs (one of those cheapo Samson drum mic kits) as there are no pres for those inputs I think I need a mic pre. They don't really seam to be too popular anymore, at least not the cheap ones as you can get interfaces for the same money these days..

What is everyones suggestion? I was thinking of using a mixer, but short on space. I would prefer something rack mounted, but I am not going to spend hundreds per channel...

Thank you
C

·
Premium Member
4,177 Posts
I have the US1641. Been using it for almost 10 years now. I record 10 tracks each time with the band, I use an FMR Audio Really Nice Preamp for the 2 extra inputs. I actually use it for the vocals as I feel it's a better preamp than the one in the Tascam. It might be over your budget but it's an excellent preamp for the money.

·
Premium Member
3,152 Posts
Inexpensive=small mixer, behringer, mackie, yamaha, etc

Otherwise, the FMR RNP is a great recommendation @Chito

For the price of two RNP's, you could get a 1U rack of eight preamps from APB Dynasonics. I have the 1U4M4S and I use the preamps straight in my PA amp and speakers with no EQ, no compression, no reverb, no bullshit. Top notch gear. (Plus, personal service in spite of the huge installations they are normally involved with.)

Analog Audio Consoles - APB-Dynasonics.com

·
Premium Member
4,177 Posts
You can also look into the Presonus Bluetube DP. It's great for guitars.

·
Premium Member
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have the US1641. Been using it for almost 10 years now. I record 10 tracks each time with the band, I use an FMR Audio Really Nice Preamp for the 2 extra inputs. I actually use it for the vocals as I feel it's a better preamp than the one in the Tascam. It might be over your budget but it's an excellent preamp for the money.
Yup it works pretty good for me too. The FMR is currently out of my reach.

Unfortunately, that unit seems to sum everything into stereo.

What I have decided to do was ease into outboard preamps and buy a used ART unit (TPS ii). Found one for 80$ and it will let me figure out if my computer will even take the extra channels, get the required cables, etc, etc.

Thanks for the input all!
C

Reactions: KapnKrunch

·
Premium Member
3,152 Posts
Yup it works pretty good for me too. The FMR is currently out of my reach.

Unfortunately, that unit seems to sum everything into stereo.

What I have decided to do was ease into outboard preamps and buy a used ART unit (TPS ii). Found one for 80$ and it will let me figure out if my computer will even take the extra channels, get the required cables, etc, etc.

Thanks for the input all!
C
The TPS ii was well-received by Sound on Sound with a couple of minor caveats. Nice score at $80!

·
Premium Member
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yup, its seems to be working perfectly. I have a couple hours on it now and it offers something different when compared to the pres in my Tascam unit. For the money it does exactly what I want.

C

1 - 8 of 8 Posts