The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
I only count 4 screws on the pickguard, which is one shy of what I would consider the minimum...

All kidding aside, the guitar looks reasonable enough but it's all relatice to price. If the seller is asking $1600, I would say that's a hard no. If an offer of half of that or less would be considered, then it'd be a maybe.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I only count 4 screws on the pickguard, which is one shy of what I would consider the minimum...

All kidding aside, the guitar looks reasonable enough but it's all relatice to price. If the seller is asking $1600, I would say that's a hard no. If an offer of half of that or less would be considered, then it'd be a maybe.
I think these originally came with a white pick guard, maybe it had 5 screws. Someone has conveniently stored the extra screw by screwing it in to the body below the control plate. ;)

·
Premium Member
4,303 Posts
I have an MIJ 62 reissue too.I have replaced the pickups and the electronics but the rest is original. Most of the ones I've seen have been modded too. Was my number one for at least 10 years. Anyway, assuming it is what the seller says it is, I think the price is just simply too high. 900-1100 maybe. Not at that price.

·
Registered
787 Posts
That's most definitely an MIJ 62. And someone has gone to great lengths to hide that fact. They sanded off the serial number and Made in Japan tag. That's also a non-original neck plate. The actual 1962 and the AVRI series have their serial numbers stamped on the neck plate. The MIJ plates on these guitars had the word "FENDER" stamped in block letters where the serial number would have been on the MIA versions. That "F" stamp plate didn't show up until CBS took over and the headstock logos had already transitioned to from the spaghetti logo to the transition logo. So basically 65 and later. Doesn't belong on a "62" reissue.

$1600 is a bit steep considering the AVRI62 guitars are going in the $1800-$1900 range.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
That's most definitely an MIJ 62. And someone has gone to great lengths to hide that fact. They sanded off the serial number and Made in Japan tag. That's also a non-original neck plate. The actual 1962 and the AVRI series have their serial numbers stamped on the neck plate. The MIJ plates on these guitars had the word "FENDER" stamped in block letters where the serial number would have been on the MIA versions. That "F" stamp plate didn't show up until CBS took over and the headstock logos had already transitioned to from the spaghetti logo to the transition logo. So basically 65 and later. Doesn't belong on a "62" reissue.

$1600 is a bit steep considering the AVRI62 guitars are going in the $1800-$1900 range.
My MIJ re-issue has a blank neck plate. It's a '67 re-issue and should have an F plate. They didn't always get it right.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I owned a lot of MIJ Fenders in Japan, never saw nor had one with those markings in the neck pocket, have seen similar markings like those on the neck butt. There was a time when people were embarrassed by guitars MIJ, so sanding the logo or serial number off was not all that unusual and things have gone completely in the opposite direction now. As for electronics, the Japanese like to take items from the west and make them their own, small is very popular in Japan, their pots are not always lower quality just because they are smaller. I had FJs with the serial on the front of the headstock, on the back of the headstock, on the neck plate, on the bridge of teles, and at the base of the neck. Have seen MADE IN JAPAN, Made in Japan and Crafted in Japan. I had some with a pencil date on the neck butt and some without. One thing I learned about Fender Japan is that nothing is standard, there are so many variations out there. At one point while living there I had a conversation with shop staff and was told there were 4 different factories making FJs at that time, early 2000's. The local Guitarwaors had a red double bound like that one for sale at $1600.00, it sold but not to me.

·
Premium Member
2,137 Posts
Is this not the same model, just a helluva lot nicer (and less expensive)?

Reactions: ga20t

·
Premium Member
237 Posts
^ Yep. And OP would have to race me to that one if it weren't for the 7.25" radius.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts