The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m looking for advice on this Kijiji Tele. It’s missing the serial number, weird screw under the controls, reliced. I haven’t seen a Fender reissue like this before. Is it a Fender? Any other red flags?
Thanks

·
Registered
11,448 Posts
This looks like it may be a Japanese unit. The neck markings I’ve seen before on some of the ones I’ve bought. The body is new to me, matches some of these.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This looks like it may be a Japanese unit. The neck markings I’ve seen before on some of the ones I’ve bought. The body is new to me, matches some of these.

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
Looks to me like it's just what it's purported to be: MIJ Fender '62 Tele in 3-Tone Sunburst with Bigsby unit. Neck pocket & neck stamps appear to confirm that. Serial obviously disappeared when the back of the neck (heel end) was sanded.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
^^^
This.

Plus ... there's no mention of a case.
IMO, that would be high with a case.
Too high without a case.

·
Premium Member
285 Posts
The body seems flattened at the input jack. Is that normal? Why wouldn’t it have a serial number? It looks like the neck was sanded, maybe relic’d, but not over sprayed.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The seller says the serial number was sanded off when the neck was sanded.
Why do that?
The average price I’ve seen them for locally is $900-$1100.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The body seems flattened at the input jack. Is that normal? Why wouldn’t it have a serial number? It looks like the neck was sanded, maybe relic’d, but not over sprayed.
The one in the Twelfth Fret link that I posted has the same flat jack.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
I see no red flags. It's an MIJ re-issue, likely 90's. Neck and body stamps are definitely Japanese as is the flat spot at the jack. As already mentioned the serial number and Made in Japan or Crafted in Japan was sanded off for some reason. The price is way overly optimistic. In that condition maybe $900-$1,000.

·
Premium Member
239 Posts
A $400 MIJ '62 Custom was my very first electric guitar, and I played the crap out of that for many years, a few re-frets, pickup swaps etc. I now have an upgraded $250 CVC that looks 1:1, but uses better woods and a modern radius & fret size. Considering looks/sound/playability, I would not trade back, save for sentimentality and the fact that people tend to overpay for the MIJ stuff for some reason, like they're rare or something (and I might profit on resale). But I think the value/return is already destroyed on this particular one, what with all the faux-ing it's suffered.That price strikes me as nutso given my familiarity with the guitars. MIJ/CIJ usually = great bones/foundation though, and I've often preferred the neck carves and finish quality to their US counterparts.

·
Premium Member
487 Posts
At this point, with the identifying info sanded off, I would almost classify it on par with a partscaster.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts