The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey folks!

Again, I am asking for advice.
I used to use a "fuzzbox" way back when.
So, of course I miss that!

Now that I am quite settled with my guitar (Jaguar) and amp (Crate tube amp), I would like to have some "effects" when I run some old rock stuff.
I read about OD, Boost, distortion and fuzz boxes ... all very confusing.
Back in the days, we just had a simple "fuzz box".
As long as it is "clean" and not producing a messy "noise" when I want it that way.
Nothing fancy (budget is important theses days), as long as I can plug it in the 1-channel-only Crate amp.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers!

Note: this opening post has been revised/modified today October 27, 2019.

·
Premium Member
4,486 Posts
JHS Mufelleta. Does 6 different big muff clones in one pedal

·
Premium Member
4,486 Posts
That's right. I'd look for a used one.

·
Registered
763 Posts
There are so many choices and flavours out there. It also sounds like you’re not sure if you want overdrive or fuzz. Everything was just called “fuzz” back in the day.
I’d just get some cheap Danelectro or Berhinger drive pedals. 20-30$ a piece. It’ll give you a better idea what flavour you’re after.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There are so many choices and flavours out there. It also sounds like you’re not sure if you want overdrive or fuzz. Everything was just called “fuzz” back in the day.
I’d just get some cheap Danelectro or Berhinger drive pedals. 20-30$ a piece. It’ll give you a better idea what flavour you’re after.
Yeah, right.
As I said myself: "Back in the days, we just had a simple "fuzz box"."
It sure has grown since.
I'll do a little more research and see what suits my style better. Thus far, looks like a used JHS Muffeletta woudl be ideal since it has 6 different modes.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Do you know which fuzzbox you used to use?

Any songs or sounds you particularly like?
No idea about the fuzz box I used to use
... would you believe it was back in the early 70's ?
For the sounds I like, that would be too long to list since I do like a lot of different stuff but here are a few:
Santana, David Gilmour, John Lennon, Pete Townshend, (oldies of course);
Also AC/DC (old and new), Bryan Adams, and I play with some rock/blues backing tracks (improvising).
No super heavy metal stuff with loads of "noise".
I like the sound to be clean enough so you'd know it is "music" rather a garble of noise.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
We could probably figure out which one you had. There weren’t too many back then.

There are so many now.

Most of those tones you listed are taking an amp and turning it up to terrifying volumes.

·
Premium Member
2,402 Posts
I think you need a fuzz and an overdrive. Overdrive will give you a thicker tone, but not all spitty and farty. A fuzz will give you more. And then over the top more. From an overdrive-ish to complete kayos. I find putting the fuzz into an overdrive will tame the crazy. So you will have lots of choices. Do you have a budget?

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Trying to reply to all new posts here, all at once:

Hammerhands: don't forget that I have forgotten ! Can't figure out what it was ... I'm getting to old for this! ;)
Butterknuket: ditto!
player99: "a fuzz and an overdrive" ... you mean both connected together?
As for the budget, less than $200 (CDN) if possible.

·
Banned
652 Posts
You can pick one of these up for about $80 used.
This was going to be my recommendation. I love mine. It's relatively inexpensive and it covers a lot of bases. Germanium overdrive, germanium distortion, germanium fuzz that goes from fuzz face to full on gated splatty bitcrusher fuzz, and a lot else inbetween. The overdrive, the distortion, and the fuzz all sound pretty good. You can dial in overdrive and distortion, or overdrive and fuzz, or distortion and fuzz with the two side of the pedal, but not all three at once. When you have good overdrive in the left and good overdrive in the right, both does not equal fuzz, it equals more saturated distortion. When you dial in a good fuzz, the distortion in the right sounds good, and both for fuzz sounds good, but the left overdrive will be harsh. So it does a variety, but there is a limitation to the sounds you can have on tap with any combination of the two sides individually or at once. Still, it was the first thing that sprang to my mind, given your requirements/wants.

But I also thought of another pedal that I have that walks the line between distortion and fuzz that has some variety and flexibility. Works great with a clean or overdriven amp. Loose and open sounding. Goes from distortion to fuzz face to shin-ei, to super gated splatty fuzz.

Fender, The Pelt.

·
Registered
24,363 Posts
I was impressed with the Pelt, the first time I heard it. Would that more pedals had whatever it is that the "Bloom" control does.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts