The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
5,876 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've been on a hiatus from Electric guitar for almost the last couple years sticking to only acoustic. Sold all my gear and invested in a couple of really nice acoustics. Well now I got the irresistible urge to put together a fairly inexpensive rig for electric. So I bought my self a Wildwood 52 thin skin Telecaster, found a really nice used Allen Old Flame head and 2X12 cabinet for the Blackface sound, which is my preference and this past week I've been focused on building a very small and moderately priced pedal board. The pedal board I want to keep really simple and something that stays out of the way of the music. What I mean is fairly transparent, mostly pedals that build on the foundation of my tone and not a lot of fiddling or noticing that they're there.. I've decided on a compressor (has a blend knob and I dial out about 80%) 2 overdrives and 2 analog delays.. The tumnus deluxe I'm using for that edge of breakup, the Boss DM-2W I'm using for a slight slapback for thickening the tone and the Carbon Copy for some longer delays and modulation.
As you can see in the pic I've got everything except for a second over drive for midgain crunch. I could use the tumnus deluxe for mid to higher gain as it does it well if I find another OD for the edge of breakup thing.
I'd like something transparent that could work well with the gear I have.
There are so many options out there its a bit dizzying. Watching youtube videos almost seems pointless. Eventually I may have what I need in a Kingsley double page pedal when Simon develops it but I'm on a 325 week waiting list then he has to actually create it which may have some challenges of its own. In the mean time I'm looking for a temporary solution. Hence why I'd prefer not to spend a lot of money. I've been looking at the new Boss BD2-W and I could probably buy it from L&M and if I didn't like it, return it within 30 days. As well theres a used Lovepedal Blackface Deluxe on Kijiji thats not much money. I thought maybe with the Lovepedal that is voiced to the blackface would suit my amp well as it should be voiced the same as the amp. The pedal can't be anymore than 3 inches wide or 5 inches deep so it can fit on the board.
So any other suggestions that anyone has that could help I'd like to hear them. Would prefer not to spend more than $200 give or take.

·
Registered
11,689 Posts
I am currently using an Arc Effects Klone for my main overdrive.

What interests me more is your signal chain order, delays first and drive and comp last?

·
Registered
5,876 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am currently using an Arc Effects Klone for my main overdrive.

What interests me more is your signal chain order, delays first and drive and comp last?
I've just got them sitting there for now. I don't want those patch cables, looking for some shorter with pancake heads, etc and want to add my last pedal.

·
Registered
5,876 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you can fit it on the board, I'd suggest a Sparkle drive. Its a ts808 with a blend knob.
I've thought of that as I've seen a couple used on kijiji fairly cheap. I've never been plugged in to one. I used to see them modded by keeley a lot. I have no idea what the mod did.

P

·
0 Posts
I have found the old Barber Burn Unit to be a great sounding OD to distortion. Also the Tone Pump by Barber as well is really nice.

P

·
0 Posts
I have a few Klones and they are great, but after a while when you try something different they don't seem as great. I would keep to just one Tumnus.

·
Registered
5,876 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
a new OCD will stack nicely with the Tumnus.
I once owned an OCD and did not like it. However at the time I was using a Wampler Hotwired. The OCD did stack nicely with other overdrives but on by it self I wasn't impressed.

P

·
0 Posts
For your price point, an OCD, the Arc Klone suggested is great but a bigger footprint, and the Barber units as well.

An Xotic BB or AC or the RC Boost would be other good options.
the newer Barber units are small. I have had issues with the Xotic stuff. The 9v jacks don't line up with the case causing a loose and non fitting power connection. Never again. Plus no response from their support, or zero support. Just tumbleweeds.

·
Premium Member
3,472 Posts
the newer Barber units are small. I have had issues with the Xotic stuff. The 9v jacks don't line up with the case causing a loose and non fitting power connection. Never again. Plus no response from their support, or zero support. Just tumbleweeds.
I have not had any issues with the half dozen or so Xotic's I've owned but recall some issues on the forums years back.

I forgot one great unit - The Soul Driven. That unit is very transparent and has a nice phat tone. I have the Allen Hinds version of the SD but I think the regular production SD would also be a good fit.

·
Premium Member
12,225 Posts
For a light, fairly transparent gain, I'd consider a Timmy. New they run right about the max you want to spend.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts