The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, all

Looking for my first electric. Been playing acoustic for 10+ years (hobby, not seriously)

Price limit: $1200.00 CAD

I'll worry about the amp later, but I'm leaning towards one of the Marshall JCM series

Guitars I've looked at and tried at Steve's Music (Montreal):

-Gibson SG
-American and Mexican strats (there's a difference in feel between the two)
-Ibanez Prestige (a little out of my range at $1500)
-some Yamaha's (didn't really like any of them)

anyone care to offer advice on the following:

-Godin (it's cool that they're Canadian, but I find some of the designs a bit weird)

-Carvin (I'm intrigued by them, but the fact that I can't try their guitars before buying kinda blows, and they don't seem to have Canadian distribution anymore, they ship direct from California).

-Jackson

-PRS

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Man... I've been on here one day, and already I have a lot of useful info... thanks, guys :smile:

Coustfan'01, I'm not sure how you are able to tell, but I am definitely looking for a guitar WITHOUT a trem unit. I tend to rest my palm on the bridge (bad habit, I know), so I usually look for flat, low-profile bridges.

Xanadu, it's funny you mention the price gap between the Jackson models.. I was at Steve's earlier today and I stood in front of a $245.00 Jackson. I tried to picture Dave Mustaine playing it, and I was like "nah...". It certainly does LOOK like a Jackson, but I think it's a very different guitar than the $2000.00+ models...

I guess I haven't been fair to Godin (as a native Quebecer I should be ashamed of that). I'll give them another look.

I'll let you guys know what else I turn up... I'm not finding this to be an easy decision at all :eek:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I just want to thank everyone for their opinions again. I now have guitars to consider that I would have never thought about.

You've been a great audience thanks5qx:

I think I have a serious case of GAS now, LOL...

:rockon2:

I'm not at the point where I can put together a short list yet (I'll create a separate thread when I do), but here is a general set of characterstics I'm looking for:

-Mahogany body, if possible (there's a feeling I get when I hold one of these, cannot explain it)

-No trem unit

-the least amount of pots and switches possible (I'll make an exception for the SG-type)

-Flat, wide neck (I got big hands, which gives me some trouble with Fender strats)

-Seymour Duncan pups would be nice None ... but not required

-A weird one: I would like all the switches and pots to be aft or just under the bridge, so my right hand doesn't hit them while playing... and SG-type layout, basically.

Hmm... obviously, the astute among you can see what I'm gravitating towards, but I am open to variations on that theme. I'm actually not too crazy about the fact that Gibson SG's have glued-in necks (it's a hang-up I have), I like bolt-on or thru-necks.

I plan a trip to some other music stores besides Steve's in the coming weeks (suggestions for the Montreal/Laval/South Shore area more than welcome).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.