The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Concert head I would like to convert it to a combo.

I am thinking a 2x 10"

Advice regarding: suitable speakers, 2x 16 ohm in parallel or 2x 4 ohm in series
cabinet material
a reliable builder for a tolex covered cabinet

thanks
ets

·
Premium Member
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
last bump for info.....

I would like a 2 x 10 combo, as small as possible.
I found that Fender offered the combos in 1 x 12, 2 x 10, and 4 x 10 (i don't know if they shared a cabinet size)
I have been thinking about a cabinet with interchangeable baffle boards but would prefer the horizontal "twin" visual with the 2 x 10's

the only 2 x 10 i have heard in person was a Sisters Euclid set at The Orbit Room years ago and that was something "vintage fender" iirc
some contact info for a cabinet builder would be appreciated.

thanks
ets

L

·
0 Posts
2x 16 ohm in parallel or 2x 4 ohm in series
Seen this on another forum;

parallel - if a speaker blows up, you still have one speaker working and your amp still sees a load (double of
what it originally was) instead of seeing no load at all and risk taking the output transformer with it...

·
Registered
5,541 Posts

parallel - if a speaker blows up, you still have one speaker working and your amp still sees a load (double of
what it originally was) instead of seeing no load at all and risk taking the output transformer with it...
I second that. Parallel loads whenever possible

·
Registered
4,997 Posts

Not just with blowing the speaker, every connection in the series arrangement is a potential 'no load' should any connection go bad. This is not the case with parallel wiring.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I have a Concert head I would like to convert it to a combo.

I am thinking a 2x 10"

Advice regarding: suitable speakers, 2x 16 ohm in parallel or 2x 4 ohm in series
cabinet material
a reliable builder for a tolex covered cabinet

thanks
ets
Derrick Bell makes some fine stuff. I have an early eighties " Rivera era" Concert amp single twelve version .Made in Fullerton and all point to point it is an excellent and versatile amplifier .They are like the old Traynors... underated gems! Good luck with the build !

·
Premium Member
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks for the replies and solid recommendations

I have contacted Derrick and am organizing delivery of the head to him.
funny you mentioned old traynors @Rabbit, i have one on my odds and ends amp shelf.... i am in the process of removing 14' of load bearing wall and have to clear this shelf off to establish the post bases........ there may be a yba 1 for sale shortly :)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
278 Posts
Why a combo? Heads are lighter and you can try different cabs. I have a Princeton II that I use with a 12" Jensen or a cable it out to a Jbl d130f 15" cab speaker!

I have a heavy Garnet Sessionman that I would prefer to have it as a head. I've hurt my back moving it several times.

·
Premium Member
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Basically less real estate.... I dont move it to often but when I do it will take up less room in the vehicle.... I can still use different cabs in a combo format if needed....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts