The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone mess with these? I only mess with pickup height and the differences are major, but i doubt hearing the difference in pole heights :rolleyes:

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Jeff Flowerday said:
Absolutely. To get a proper output balance across all strings it must be done. I've done it to all my HB guitars.
How did you do it? voltage meter or just by ear?

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
SCREEM said:
How did you do it? voltage meter or just by ear?
Just by ear, I just played the open strings individually and adjusted accordingly.

Your B is the most powerful so requires a lower adjustment. D and A aren't too strong so they usually need to be raised up.

I then just play the guitar and tweak as necessary if I feel a particular string is too strong or too weak.

Jeff

·
Premium Member
13,042 Posts
Jeff Flowerday said:
Absolutely. To get a proper output balance across all strings it must be done. I've done it to all my HB guitars.

Yes I would like to know to. I've tried it once with some success, but it could still use some tweaking,... well maybe a little more than some.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Well i plugged into the clean chanel of my boogie with my PRS's volume rolled back a tad, and sure enough the D string was much lower output than the G & B string. I had to raise the D pole alot to match the G...also the high E was weak.

For my PRS neck pup:

Low E...normal

A...raised slightly

D...OMG way up!

G...normal

B...slightly lowered

High E...medium raise.

Thanks again Jeff, I could clearly tell wich had weak output.

·
Registered
274 Posts
good job, I too have done that on all my humbuckers. there is lots of reading about it on the internet if you do a search

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
I always start with the fretboard radius, alternating the angle of the screwdriver slots:
\ / \ / \ /

then adjust by ear, whole pickup first, then individual poles.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts