The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello there. I just completed wiring my LP copy (PTB wiring MOD) with a Humbucker in the bridge and a p90 in the neck. I have a Seymour Duncan SJAG-3B (high output single coil for a jaguar) that's been lying around for 2 years now that I'd like to put in the middle position. My current bridge pup is a bit muddy and I'd like to think the single coil will be a bit tighter sounding. Does anybody know if they make a 5way toggle that would fit in a LP? If not, I'd like to stick to having 4 knobs and a 3 way toggle and use a second 3 way to select between bridge/bridge+middle/Middle. I have 500k and 330k pots in it right now, a .0015 for the bass cut and .047 and I like the sound of it. Would these values work with a high output single coil? I'm afraid it would it sound ice-picky. Also curious about hum and phase issues with adding the middle position...

Any input is appreciated! thanks in advanced.

·
Registered
18,557 Posts
Yes, there are 5 way toggles that would fit.

As for the hum and phase issues, I have no idea unless shielding the cavities would take care of it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I found this on a google search, its about a telecaster with 3 single coils. Does this apply to my situation?

"One thing that comes to mind is the polarity of the pickups. You would probably want to make yours N-S-N so positions 2 and 4 are hum bucking. I would guess that your current setup is N-S, so you may have to change the polarity of one of your pickups.

Also, you may want to wire your switching so you can still get the neck-bridge combo that many Tele players love. If you expect to use neck- middle and neck-bridge combos often, you may want to make the polarities N-S-S (neck - middle - bridge)"

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I can't find a 5 way toggle that's made specifically for a les paul. I found a 6 way toggle that is used in a Jimmy Page signature but its $40 American before shipping and tax. I'll be going to an electronics store tomorrow and Ill look for a 5-way strat style switch or 5 position rotary. I think I'd prefer the strat style but I'll probably have to do some routing for it to fit.

Can I bypass tone pots with the middle pick up but have a capacitor wired between the pickup and volume pot? would it sound the same a pick up through a tone control that was dimed?

it seems the more research I do the more questions I have haha woopsie!

·
Premium Member
4,474 Posts
I think you are stuck with a rotary switch, or the freeway pickup switch which will give you up to 6 combinations. They have excellent customer service, you can email them and they will give you schematics for your setup.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The Freeway switch is too expensive and I don't think i'd like it or the rotary considering I literally slap the toggle into different positions while playing. I'm thinking I might just throw in a second 3 way toggle for the middle pup that does On/off/series the bridge...although routing for the 5 way strat style wouldn't be much of a bother considering its a cheap guitar... I'm just thinking out loud at this point. I'll just make the decision when I go to the electronics store to pick up parts. I also decided that ill just route the middle pickup through the existing tone knobs and the neck volume and hope for the best.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts