The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a Yamaha AE500 big box, and have been toying with the idea of adding an acoustic pickup to it.

It's your basic 2 humbucker 4 pot setup, so I thought I'd wire it to 1 vol 2 tones pots for the humbuckers, and leave one vol pot free for an acoustic pickup.

Questions:
- what pickup is best to use for this? I've read of guys using small Shure ceramic mics, piezos, etc. Since I wasn't planning on running it thru a tone pot quality is pretty important I think.
- where is the 'best' placement for the pickup? under the bridge, under the TP, largest open spot on the top etc?
- how best to mount it? Since I'm working through F holes, it'll be a tad frustrating I'm sure.

Anyone have experience with this type of mod?

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
that's interesting, like the Slash Fishman bridge. Would that sound as acoustic as an internal pickup/mic?

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
that's interesting, like the Slash Fishman bridge. Would that sound as acoustic as an internal pickup/mic?
I don't know, most traditional acoustic pickups are designed around full fledged acoustics. A jazz box is a little different.

As for a mic I'd stay away from it, they are a feedback disaster waiting to happen. I've got a K&K sound board/mic in my acoustics and the mic only gets used in a dead quiet recording environment. They do not work in front of a monitor.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts