The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,570 Posts
@Frenchy99 mentioned he used a Peavey Bandit 65 for a Bass amp some time ago. I just happen to still own an '86 Model so I'm also going to throw that in the mix of possibilities. If it ends up working half assed as I expect it might, at least for practice, it may open up other options for me like a Tech21 I mentioned earlier for recording. This is just my thought process right now. Nothing has been determined as of yet obviously.
all this bass talk deserves a bass rig...something like this would be a good start...
By the way....any good bass rig ( bass and amp) should be worth more then the price of a good set of bass strings.
G.
https://guitarscanada.com/index.php?threads/gallien-krueger-400rb-head-swr-golight-1x15-cabinet.246136/

·
Registered
4,739 Posts

·
Registered
4,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Spent an hour and a bit using the Bass through the Zoom and practicing Heaven and Hell. I used about 45% clean Bass and 55% of thea Hartke Amp setup on that pedal. It remains very passable as long as I don't do something stupid like going to L&M and checking a full rig and guitar there. I figure I'll squeeze as much out of this until the inevitable "trip to the store". What a curse we live with.

·
Premium Member
551 Posts
That’s what I did this weekend. Picked up the cabinet Thursday from kijiji, then grabbed a Hartke LH500 head used from Mcquade. Hooked it up and the head didn’t work, no bass or mid controls. They just didn’t work. So I brought that head back and went with the trusty Traynor yba300, just because I know it’s the tone I was after. Way overkill but the for the songs I play it covers everything.
A434D140-57ED-4BD7-8025-D5EA78F99C86.jpeg

·
Registered
4,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Any suggestions on single Passive pickup height with an Active EQ? For reference again, a single LTD SB-4. I looked it up on their manual and it said 3.5mm Bass side, 2.5mm treble side. This is what they are supposed to be coming out of factory spec. Going by this spec, the pup was WAY too close to the strings. I'm still dicking around with it but I thought I'd throw it out there for one of you guys to pitch in if possible.

I also read that if it's an active pup it doesn't matter. Mine's passive but I'd like to know about active if others have something to say. LTD is pretty useless when it comes to tech specs and adjustments from what I've seen. I may not be looking in the right places though.

·
Registered
389 Posts
I looked it up on their manual and it said 3.5mm Bass side, 2.5mm treble side. This is what they are supposed to be coming out of factory spec. Going by this spec, the pup was WAY too close to the strings.
Did you fret the string at the last fret before measuring?

·
Registered
4,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #47 (Edited)
Yup. That's standard. Just like a guitar. The question is raised because I'm not familiar with the active EQ/preamp in the guitar coupled with a passive pickup. I'm also unfamiliar with Bass pickups/strings in general so I was hoping for maybe a few set standards. The pups are soapbox humbuckers. Don't know what the output of the SB-4's are though as I haven't measured it yet. Here's what Fender recommends for their Bass's. Quite a difference compared to what is referenced in the LTD manual. I'm looking at the special design humbucker section there as it's closest to the ones one on my Bass.

Bass Side Treble Side
Vintage style 8/64" (3.2 mm) 6/64" (2.4 mm)
Noiseless™ Series 8/64" (3.2 mm) 6/64" (2.4 mm)
Standard "J" or "P" 7/64" (2.8 mm) 5/64" (2 mm)
Special Design Humbuckers 7/64" (2.8 mm) 5/64" (2 mm

So I re read the section and the setting from LTD are MAX pup height as per factory spec. Guess I'll just have to tweak it until I get what works for my ear.

41 - 49 of 49 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.