Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
4,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
A good P-bass covers it all. :cool:
That's a much more serious consideration for another thread in my case. I have yet to check out any other Bass's but it certainly has been first and foremost in this quest. That one might take a while. Once I get a semi decent rig to play through it'll be easier to rent and test what's going to work for my sound.

·
Premium Member
7,396 Posts
Fender Rumble 40 to start
possible future live playing
I'm trying to keep the Amp price to under $400-$500
Here's a few in your area that may suit your needs.
They have headphone out and also DI for eventual gigging.
Fender Bronco 40 Bass Amp | Amps & Pedals | Edmonton | Kijiji
Fender Bronco 40 bass amplifier Killer deal | Amps & Pedals | Edmonton | Kijiji
Fender Rumble 150 Bass Amp Combo | Amps & Pedals | Edmonton | Kijiji

Reactions: Dorian2

·
Registered
4,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I checked out that Rumble 40. I'm really not too keen on amps with built in effects. I feel, right or wrong, that it takes away what could have been put into the base tone of the amp, especially at that lower price point. But I'm not closing the door or burning that bridge at this point. Thanks for posting those Larry.

·
Registered
4,734 Posts
Don't rule out higher power combos, you don't have to play loud, but the headroom available for peaks removes the limitations of smaller power amps (as far as tonal variety goes).
Older combos in the 200 to 400W power range are not uncommon at your price point or less.

·
Premium Member
8,542 Posts
Yeah, if you ever plan on playing live with other electric musicians, you’d probably start at 200W and go up. No reason to fear digital onboard stuff, potentially very handy for recording. As I hinted earlier and Larry reiterated, a DI out is good - recording, live use into a PA, etc.

Also, solid state is, real or not, seen to be more mature tech and usable for bass than guitar, tube stuff exists and is good but lots of SS stuff is great, higher powered higher headroom, can growl and snarl, and will be lower maintenance, not to mention can be used without a cab plugged in (recording etc).

·
Premium Member
7,396 Posts
Both of my bass amps are SS combos.
Markbass 115, 500w
Traynor SB 115, 200w

Last spring, I played through a Fender BXR 80, street gig.
Surprisingly, it cut through the mix well.

farmer's market 01.jpg

·
Registered
4,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Don't rule out higher power combos, you don't have to play loud, but the headroom available for peaks removes the limitations of smaller power amps (as far as tonal variety goes).
Older combos in the 200 to 400W power range are not uncommon at your price point or less.
That was on the list of questions I intended to ask. Either this or maybe there are some new scaling options available as well. But I'm trying to still keep it in the home music room/studio recording model.

·
Registered
4,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Yeah, if you ever plan on playing live with other electric musicians, you’d probably start at 200W and go up. No reason to fear digital onboard stuff, potentially very handy for recording. As I hinted earlier and Larry reiterated, a DI out is good - recording, live use into a PA, etc.

Also, solid state is, real or not, seen to be more mature tech and usable for bass than guitar, tube stuff exists and is good but lots of SS stuff is great, higher powered higher headroom, can growl and snarl, and will be lower maintenance, not to mention can be used without a cab plugged in (recording etc).
I'm not too worried about Digital onboard. But I do have a tendency to avoid if possible. Due to past experience too long to get into. I like the idea of a DI out. I actually ruled out any tube stuff long ago and have a bit of love for SS. I still have a Peavey Bandit 65 hanging around the room. Just in case. SS seems to be the way to go for sure. Thanks for all the great pointers!

·
Registered
4,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
@laristotle , how's that Traynor BTW. I've kinda been eyeing those and the Ampeg. Keeping the price in mind of course. I haven't scoured kijiji yet because I'll want to check a few options here as rentals first.

·
Premium Member
7,396 Posts
how's that Traynor BTW
I like it. More so than a TC Electronics Toneprint 250 that I A/B'd against.
Roughly the same price point.
Even though the TC has 50 watts more, on board tuner, downloadable effects etc,
I didn't need/want the bells n' whistles.

·
Premium Member
545 Posts
I went through all this years ago and spent a ton of money on garbage. Seems to me you’re starting out sort of thing.

What I would do is rent a few loud bass amp combos or a head and cabinet. Just because it’s 300-500 watts(depending on the amp) you don’t have to crank it. What you need or should do is see what your bass can do with a massive amount of clean headroom.

Get the clean thump of your bass first and get used to it. Then jazz it up with your pedals and accessories. If something sounds like junk you can rule out your bass and amp you choose because you should be familiar with it.

·
Registered
4,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #32 (Edited)
I went through all this years ago and spent a ton of money on garbage. Seems to me you’re starting out sort of thing.

What I would do is rent a few loud bass amp combos or a head and cabinet. Just because it’s 300-500 watts(depending on the amp) you don’t have to crank it. What you need or should do is see what your bass can do with a massive amount of clean headroom.

Get the clean thump of your bass first and get used to it. Then jazz it up with your pedals and accessories. If something sounds like junk you can rule out your bass and amp you choose because you should be familiar with it.
Thanks much for your input.

The big thing holding me back for the bigger amps is the price range. But I will be renting some bigger ones as you suggest as well. I unfortunately didn't make it very clear so I can clear it up now. My best case scenario:

- Price range: $300 - $500 give ar take (new or used). You can see the limitation already. Reference: Solid State Combo Bass Amp Rentals at Long & McQuade Canada But there are a few more options just above my upper sortabutnotreally limit which I'm willing to exceed to a point ($50 - $100)
- Amp Style: Combo or DI/Tech 21 style preamp for recording. Initially I've been eyeing Rumbles, Tech 21, and Traynor Small blocks for consideration.
- compact and fairly light, but weight isn't really a big issue. There is a lot of deviation available here.
- Sound quality. As "undigital" as possible, given the pricing limitations, which seems to go hand in hand with Wattage

I'm only using L&M as a reference point for this thread regarding pricing and options. Just for convenience. I'm looking at all options. Both new and used

·
Premium Member
545 Posts
I’m picking up a used hartke LH500 from a local Mcquade for $199. Found a 4x10 Ashdown cabinet for $399 also at Mcquade. The best bet is to go in there and get them to search out the gear from across Canada stores. They will get it to your location.

·
Registered
4,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
@Frenchy99 mentioned he used a Peavey Bandit 65 for a Bass amp some time ago. I just happen to still own an '86 Model so I'm also going to throw that in the mix of possibilities. If it ends up working half assed as I expect it might, at least for practice, it may open up other options for me like a Tech21 I mentioned earlier for recording. This is just my thought process right now. Nothing has been determined as of yet obviously.

·
Registered
4,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
I'm just testing the Viper through the Peavey Bandit this evening. Also testing some of the options on the Volume and Tone knob of the Bass. I'll start there since it's the threads idea. It seems to do what I've read is suggesting. Volume for overall and that Tone knob is totally the gain. From 35 years of passive LP to this Made in China beast is something I'm actually pretty damn excited about. It's a little too accurate because I'm so used to the larger swells of the LP and Tele, but I'll get it down quick. I'm really liking it a lot though.

@JonnyD , you know how you were mentioning massive amounts of clean headroom? The headroom on the Peavey gives me a pretty damn good idea now. It's on 2.5 on the Peavey right now on the clean channel, Bass almost maxed, Mids up, pulled (thick) Treble knob lowered, but not too much, and a bit of Presence for a pretty big earful of Tone. Still playing around with those though.

Sometimes the obvious choice is right in front of your face at this point. Or under your Kustom.

That's my brand new floor that was just installed BTW!!

I'm looking forward to seeing how that cheap Zoom B2 likes the Peavey. With it's FX Loop and all. Did I mention the Peavey has a great sounding Reverb as well. Playing the amp woke up a lot of good memories I had with the sound of this one.

·
Premium Member
545 Posts
Awesome! A bass amp is way different than any old guitar amp. You need that punch and bottom end and that’s hard to do with any old bass amp. Once you get that thump or tone you’re after add in the pedals.

I found out pretty quick once I found the tone I was after a ditched the pedals. Just use my volume and tone on my bass to get what I’m after.

·
Registered
4,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
I'm still not ruling out a Bass amp. But this certainly gives me more options and a different reference point than some people have at their disposal. I was like a kid in a candy store when some of the Peavey functionality came back to me. Pull bright on clean volume, pull thick on highs, and the full range of Bass, Middle, Treble and Presence really upped the tonal possibilities.

·
Premium Member
11,618 Posts
Some buddies used my Peavey Special 120 as a bass amp. It worked, up to the point where they cooked the speaker. That's the most fragile part of a guitar amp passing bass frequencies. The electronics won't notice the difference, it'll pass as much of the signal as it's filtering will allow. The speaker will try to reproduce those frequencies until it mechanically fails. So just watch for that.

·
Registered
4,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Some buddies used my Peavey Special 120 as a bass amp. It worked, up to the point where they cooked the speaker. That's the most fragile part of a guitar amp passing bass frequencies. The electronics won't notice the difference, it'll pass as much of the signal as it's filtering will allow. The speaker will try to reproduce those frequencies until it mechanically fails. So just watch for that.
Thanks. I read up on that a bit after the Peavey was mentioned by Frenchy, along with some other things. I'm not really pushing the speaker very hard here in my basement so I can't really see it as being an issue. If by the VERY off chance I hook up with a drummer or a band playing Bass, I'd more than likely add a Bass Cab or use a Bass amp.

I wonder if there is a suggested max level for playing Bass through a guitar amp. Or is it just the frequencies I should worry about? It's an original Scorpion BTW, if that makes a diff.

·
Premium Member
8,542 Posts
Thanks. I read up on that a bit after the Peavey was mentioned by Frenchy, along with some other things. I'm not really pushing the speaker very hard here in my basement so I can't really see it as being an issue. If by the VERY off chance I hook up with a drummer or a band playing Bass, I'd more than likely add a Bass Cab or use a Bass amp.

I wonder if there is a suggested max level for playing Bass through a guitar amp. Or is it just the frequencies I should worry about? It's an original Scorpion BTW, if that makes a diff.
It's pretty much about using your ears, and listening for the speaker to be distressed, so go up slowly. By the time you actually notice, it may be too late - espectially in a jam/mix situation.

21 - 40 of 49 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.