The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey fellas! I don't think I've done much in the way of posting over here in the acoustic forum.... might even be my first time.

Looking for some advice on whether I 'should' do something.... recently acquired a new-to-me acoustic guitar. Its a well known name-brand, somewhat higher-end. Overall in great shape, but the back of the neck has the mumps; not a big deal, just some resin working its way out of the wood. A quick sanding will fix it right up.

I have a particular finish that I spray frequently on guitars I've built. I am quite fond of the way it feels and after handling it, I've had many customers choose the same as their neck finish. Since I'm going to be working on this acoustic anyway, I've considered spraying my favourite finish on the back of the neck.

While I'm planning to keep this guitar long-term, you never know with this sort of thing. Am I potentially asking for trouble with future resale value should I ever decide to sell it by using a "non-OEM" finish?

L

·
0 Posts
Am I potentially asking for trouble with future resale value should I ever decide to sell it by using a "non-OEM" finish?
Tell potential buyers that the finish is an 'upgrade' from OEM. lol

Now I'm curious as to what you've acquired. Looking forward to a NGD thread.

·
Premium Member
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tell potential buyers that the finish is an 'upgrade' from OEM. lol

Now I'm curious as to what you've acquired. Looking forward to a NGD thread.
Ha! Actually, my wife will probably divorce me if I were to sell this guitar. I mentioned something about resale value the other day and she just rolled her eyes. I'll probably end up re-spraying it.

Its a Martin D35. Plays nice and the top is ambering nicely. Just needs a quick fret dress, adjust the action very slightly and sand the back of the neck. As soon as I get Justin's tele look after, its going on the bench. I'm resisting the urge to replace the tuners with Ratios as well..... if it had Grovers I'd do it in a heartbeat (because Ratios have a mounting plate that aligns with the set screw on Grovers). This one has Martin branded tuners; the set screw is below the mounting hole, but offset a little bit. There's no mounting plate that lines up with this, so it would mean some modification. I should probably just leave well enough alone.......

·
Registered
17 Posts
Ha! Actually, my wife will probably divorce me if I were to sell this guitar. I mentioned something about resale value the other day and she just rolled her eyes. I'll probably end up re-spraying it.

Its a Martin D35. Plays nice and the top is ambering nicely. Just needs a quick fret dress, adjust the action very slightly and sand the back of the neck. As soon as I get Justin's tele look after, its going on the bench. I'm resisting the urge to replace the tuners with Ratios as well..... if it had Grovers I'd do it in a heartbeat (because Ratios have a mounting plate that aligns with the set screw on Grovers). This one has Martin branded tuners; the set screw is below the mounting hole, but offset a little bit. There's no mounting plate that lines up with this, so it would mean some modification. I should probably just leave well enough alone.......

Plug the screw holes if you're gonna shoot the neck anyway, it not that much farther to the back of the head stock. Get the tuners you like. My 2 cents.

Johnny

1 - 5 of 5 Posts