The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. A while back I bought a Kona acoustic guitar. It was in great condition except previous owner said that the pickup wasn't working. Tonight I finally got around to digging into the guitar only to find out that by installing a new battery in the guitar the pickup does in fact work but that the connection at the input jack was cutting in and out. So, I removed the strings, undid the nut on the jack and pulled it out to take a look at it. Near as I can tell the white wire looks a little frayed and needs a spot of solder to make the connection solid again. I have cleaned out the jack with compressed air as well. It's been a lot of years since I did any soldering but I think I can remember the gist of it.

What I need help with right now is how the heck do I get the input jack back through the hole to reinstall the nut? I thought about feeding a string in through the hole and then fishing it out through the sound hole and then tying that to the jack to pull it down but I'm not sure that will work.

Any other suggestions or tips would be greatly appreciated!

G

·
@greco made a tool just for this purpose. To feed input jacks through a hollow body guitar.
He once described it. From what I remember, take a 1/4" jack and solder a wire to it.
Plug it in to your jack, feed the line through the hole and pull it through.
Depending on the size of the hole, you may have to disassemble or break the pin and solder onto the back of that.

Auto part Axle part

·
Premium Member
19,066 Posts
@greco made a tool just for this purpose. To feed input jacks through a hollow body guitar.
He once described it. From what I remember, take a 1/4" jack and solder a wire to it.
Plug it in to your jack, feed the line through the hole and pull it through.
Depending on the size of the hole, you may have to disassemble or break the pin and solder onto the back of that.

View attachment 226658
@laristotle is 100% correct. I built what is shown in this pic using a piece of fairly rigid (but not totally) wire (maybe about 14-16 gauge IIRC) soldered to the inside of an end of a cheap 1/4" plug that I cut off from the moulded plastic body.

I didn't bother with the "capture ring".

I have used it on many guitar repairs/rewires and built them for friends.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks! I ended up using string which surprisingly worked with only 1 failed attempt due to me feeding the string through the top of the jack the first time rather than the bottom. I will be cannibalizing an old cable to make this tool for next time. Thanks!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.