The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
8,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Although I've never really been an acoustic player (I have owned some acoustics but they were all lower end models) I kind of have a desire to buy one, but to get a decent one this time (ie. no $350 entry level models).

Part of the reason I am considering one is that my Dad passed away in January and my Mum is giving my brother and I a couple of grand each out of the life insurance (she was going to give us a big chunk of it but I refused that and told her to keep the majority for herself as we will inherit it when she eventually passes away). I do not want to spend all of it on a guitar (Dad would've thought it a stupid idea to do so), but I do want to use some of the money to buy something that I can keep basically for the rest of my life, sort of as a final gift from him if that makes sense. Because of that I want to get something of decent quality, without blowing all of the money on it.

I've always found electrics easier to play and am hoping to find a decent acoustic in the $1000 range (give or take) that plays a little more like an electric in terms of ease of play. Can the experienced acoustic players here recommend any brands and models?

I was thinking about a Martin or a Taylor, but am also seriously considering a Seagull or Simon & Patrick (I could get one of their higher end models for the price of a lower end Martin or Taylor). Another option would be to buy a Larrivee, but I wasn't impressed that they moved all production out of Canada and down to California a couple of years ago. But I guess they are still technically a Canadian company so perhaps I should get over that and look at the D-02 models (or similar).

These are the models that I am currently considering:

Godin Guitars - SWS Maritime Acoustic Guitar - Rosewood Semi Gloss

Godin Guitars - Seagull SWS Maritime Rosewood SG QI

Larrivee - Dreadnought Acoustic Guitar - Swamp Ash

Larrivee - D-02 Dreadnought Spruce/Mahogany

I would appreciate any comments anyone can make about these models, and would also welcome recommendations for other makes and models in this price range.

·
Premium Member
2,447 Posts
Don't rule out Simon & Patrick, either. They are similar to the Seagull offerings. Also, are you set on a dread? If you play sitting down, an OM size could be more comfortable. I played a S&P Mini Jumbo that was pretty nice and they're quite reasonable. Really, the only way you're going to be able to decide between the ones you've listed is to try them. Acoustic guitars are individuals and you can have two that came off the same line side by side and one might sound better to you than the other.

·
Registered
8,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Don't rule out Simon & Patrick, either. They are similar to the Seagull offerings.
I looked at those but everything in this price range comes with the TRIC case and I think those are ugly as sin. But I suppose I could simply buy another case and sell the TRIC case.

Also, are you set on a dread? If you play sitting down, an OM size could be more comfortable. I played a S&P Mini Jumbo that was pretty nice and they're quite reasonable.
I was basically set on a dread because those are the only acoustics I have ever played.

Really, the only way you're going to be able to decide between the ones you've listed is to try them. Acoustic guitars are individuals and you can have two that came off the same line side by side and one might sound better to you than the other.

I agree. Unfortunately, L&M doesn't have these models in stock so I am going to have to ask my store to bring them in for me to try. I know them well enough that that shouldn't be a problem, but want to get as much info as I can on other possibilities before I ask them to start bringing stuff in for me.

·
Premium Member
2,447 Posts
I looked at those but everything in this price range comes with the TRIC case and I think those are ugly as sin. But I suppose I could simply buy another case and sell the TRIC case.

I was basically set on a dread because those are the only acoustics I have ever played.

I agree. Unfortunately, L&M doesn't have these models in stock so I am going to have to ask my store to bring them in for me to try. I know them well enough that that shouldn't be a problem, but want to get as much info as I can on other possibilities before I ask them to start bringing stuff in for me.
You may also want to check out the Larrivee L shape. It's bigger than an OM, but not quite as bulky as a dread. It's a little easier to play sitting down. Then again, you're a big guy, right? If you, you'd probably be fine with a dread. The L shape also sounds really sweet.

·
Registered
8,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah I am 6'1" and about 240lbs so, while not 'big' per se, I am not exactly small either.

·
Premium Member
2,447 Posts
Yeah I am 6'1" and about 240lbs so, while not 'big' per se, I am not exactly small either.
I'm about 5'10" and maybe 190 and I don't mind the size of my J-45 for playing while sitting down, but there's no denying that a smaller body guitar is more comfortable. I have a NL-00 from Halcyon Guitars on the way (hopefully soon, it's been 10 months of patience). It's an L-00 size, but deeper body. You may want to check out an OM and see how it feels, especially if you've been playing mostly electrics. While it won't give you the boom of a dread, you'll get a nice, balanced sound out of it and it can hold its own in terms of volume, albeit with a different sound profile. I had an Eastman E10-OM that was a killer-sounding guitar and I wish I hadn't traded it away.

·
Premium Member
2,447 Posts
Check this: Larrivee L-03 -Immaculate | guitars | City of Toronto | Kijiji

Not a bad price, although if you could get him down to about $900, it'd be even better. I've played several L-03s and haven't found a bad one. The only thing is, Larrivee has a pretty flat fretboard radius, if I remember correctly.

·
Premium Member
13,012 Posts
Go play guitars that are different sizes and find out what fits the best. I started out with a jumbo, but found it a bit awkward. I found I like smaller bodied guitars, nothing bigger than an OM/000 sized guitar.

If you want it a little electric like in playability, you may want to consider a cutaway concert size, with a 1 11/16" nut and a radius that isn't too flat.

Reactions: jdto and colchar

·
Premium Member
11,618 Posts
I've often heard that Taylors are a great option for electric players going towards acoustic. But in your price range, you into laminated guitars (100/200 range). You can probably find better sounding guitars, as listed above, for that money.

I personally consider acoustic and electric slightly differently, so the differences are OK with me. Vive le difference.

Reactions: colchar

·
Premium Member
1,351 Posts
First, really sorry to hear about your Dad. I lost mine a year ago in February so I can relate somewhat. You can't go wrong with the first guitar you posted. I bought a Seagull SWS from a forumite here for my daughter and I'm really impressed with the workmanship and sound.

L

·
0 Posts
I've often heard that Taylors are a great option for electric players going towards acoustic.
I agree with this. I acquired a '07 Taylor 110 from a fellow forumite last November and it plays/sounds great.
Problem is that the only time that I play my acoustics is when I go to a friend's
porch party or campfire thing and this stays home because it's too nice. lol.
@colchar , I'd be willing to let this go if a Taylor 110 piques your interest.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
I played a lot of guitars in my search for a new acoustic and the Yamaha FG830 beat out $800/$900 Martin and Taylors.

At least to my hands and ears.

Don't spend $1000 just because it says Martin or Taylor. You're not going to find a new Martin/Taylor that is all solid wood for $1000.

PS I own a Martin D-18 so know what a good Martin sounds like.

Good luck finding one though. I ordered mine from L & M on March 21.

P

·
0 Posts
I played a lot of guitars in my search for a new acoustic and the Yamaha FG830 beat out $800/$900 Martin and Taylors.

At least to my hands and ears.
A buddy and I went to the Long & McQuade store in Ottawa a few years ago. He was looking at acoustics. They have an acoustic guitar room full of Gibson, Martin, Taylor etc. He was looking at a $2,300 guitar. I tried a bunch and found an $800 Yamaha that played and sounded as good or better than anything else in the room.

·
Premium Member
17,148 Posts
Personally, I also like the new Yamaha 800 series (as mentioned by @Guncho).

Taylors are nice and are easy to play...but the new ones are a bit pricey, IMO.
Admittedly, I am a cheap, old ba$tard.

·
Registered
8,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I agree with this. I acquired a '07 Taylor 110 from a fellow forumite last November and it plays/sounds great.
Problem is that the only time that I play my acoustics is when I go to a friend's
porch party or campfire thing and this stays home because it's too nice. lol.
@colchar , I'd be willing to let this go if a Taylor 110 piques your interest.

That is is is option. I was set on buying a new higher end model, and all solid wood, but if it plays well then that is more important.

I used to own a US made 110 but stupidly sold it.

·
Premium Member
4,464 Posts
I play mostly electric, but i love my Taylor Grand Symphony, it's a little smaller than a dread. I found a dread uncomfortable for my size. Still has a nice bottom end good midrange and nice highs. Sounds so sweet with john Pearse custom lights on it.

Holy crap! I must have gotten my 416ce for a steal because I did not pay anywhere close to what people are asking for a used 316

·
Premium Member
4,464 Posts
If you are afraid of the larger finger board on an acoustic you could look for an ovation. My Ovation fingerboard is 1-11/16

1 - 20 of 28 Posts