The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all,

I have an Art & Luther acoustic guitar and the color of the front body changed. It hasn’t been longer than 6 months since I purchased the guitar. I used D’Addario lemon oil on the body and think that’s the issue but not sure . I hope the pictures describes it better.

40901 AAF F58 E 4188 ABD9 51 DC8 A2 CF80 E
6 ED906 C2 57 A9 45 B1 88 AA FFE301 ECDBE5
7 F3 BC3 FC 17 C4 46 F4 8 F7 E BD96 D01 B0 FEF
76 BE3790 5 D52 48 DE ABE6 E5 E52 ACFAB61
FC49122 A A66 D 4227 9694 CDDF3248 B9 A

Edit: guitar had the same color when purchased. Raley played it much. Thanks

·
Registered
128 Posts
There is normally a water resistant finish on the body. I doubt Lemon oil will affect it. Some wood starts an oxidation process after some time so that may be it?
Play it until it's uniformly discolored. Those are good guitars

·
Premium Member
1,513 Posts
The pictures differ in the exposure settings they were shot at, making it difficult to assess. There does appear do be some darkening on the top. Wood does change in colour, especially when exposed to UV.

I really don’t see it as anything to be concerned about.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
I didn't look at the pics but don't use the D'Addario lemon oil on the body of the guitar. It's meant for unfinished wood and can damaged lacquer finishes like the A&L has.

·
Premium Member
5,413 Posts
That's not true. People have been using Lemon Pledge on furniture for years and years

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
That's not true. People have been using Lemon Pledge on furniture for years and years
D'Addario who make the product the OP used (which isn't Lemon Pledge) state that it's for unfinished wood (rosewood fingerboards, etc.)

Most furniture isn't finished with lacquer either.

But of course, anyone is free to use whatever they want on their guitars.

·
Premium Member
5,413 Posts
Most furniture isn't finished with lacquer anymore
I corrected your statement. Lacquer has been around since the 1600's and went out of style in the 1960's/70's because of environmental concerns and new tech. Pretty sure Pledge has been around since the 50's.... I know it has lemon oil in it. I use it as tire dressing. And anyone who has played a brass instrument (which are lacquered) knows about Pledge for cleaning brass instruments.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
There you go @Zaid- feel free to keep using pledge on your brass instruments. In the meantime the D'Addario/Planet Waves still don't recommend using their Lemon Oil product on anything but unfinished wood. The choice is yours to make.

·
Registered
127 Posts
lacquer was still being used in my shop 5 years ago when I retired,
Pledge is lemon scented according to the white paper, the propellent is napta
get in touch with Godin, find out what they recommend for use on your guitar, and describe your concerns, they are a reputable company, always willing to help

1 - 12 of 12 Posts