The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, should be picking up that acoustic this week. No case though, but will try to get a decent one used off Kijiji to keep it safe in, especially since my house is very humid in summer, and VERY dry in winter. Buying a humidifier this year but in any case, was thinking of modifying the case to have the humidity gauge on the outside to read more easily.

I was planning on getting those D'Addario 2-way humidipacks, but reviews are very mixed and lots of people saying they last only a month then garbage.

Likely, sponge, distilled water and a soap dish with holes is what I'll use.

I was looking at something like below, $3 off eBay. Has anyone used one of the cheap ones before? Are they somewhat accurate? Has anyone tried modding their case to have the display on the outside?

Researching now so when I pick it up, I can start looking after it properly soon as I get it.

Also, an open-pore finish (Ibanez AVC9) which I thought would need some special cleaning spray that doesn't fill the pores with wax, but reading you just wipe with a damp microfibre cloth and done, that correct?

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Hey guys, should be picking up that acoustic this week. No case though, but will try to get a decent one used off Kijiji to keep it safe in, especially since my house is very humid in summer, and VERY dry in winter. Buying a humidifier this year but in any case, was thinking of modifying the case to have the humidity gauge on the outside to read more easily.

I was planning on getting those D'Addario 2-way humidipacks, but reviews are very mixed and lots of people saying they last only a month then garbage.

Likely, sponge, distilled water and a soap dish with holes is what I'll use.

I was looking at something like below, $3 off eBay. Has anyone used one of the cheap ones before? Are they somewhat accurate? Has anyone tried modding their case to have the display on the outside?

Researching now so when I pick it up, I can start looking after it properly soon as I get it.

Also, an open-pore finish (Ibanez AVC9) which I thought would need some special cleaning spray that doesn't fill the pores with wax, but reading you just wipe with a damp microfibre cloth and done, that correct?

D'Addario humidity pack are made by boveda who also make cigar humidor humidity controls. Those are 2-way humidification system and very reliable.

If they dry, you can "recharge" them (even if the supplier states otherwise) by placing them is an airtight container in which you have a container of distilled water - a glass... Humidity from the water will be absorbed by the 2-way system to "try" to keep its value. That can be somewhat long, what you can do is have twice the humidipack you need and always have one serving, and the other charging.

FWIW, the humidipack is more reliable than any hygrometer. Just feel the pack once in a while to see if you need to swap it.

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
I used to leave Planet Wave sponge in guitars and a little hygrometer in each case. These are cheap hygrometers I bought at Canadian Tire : I compared them all with a more standard one and found some -5 to +5 on the %, which would seem OK with the use I made of them. But what a job to check them all and fill all these sponges with distillated water !

Last year, I tried to simply hang a wet towel in the wardrobe where my beauties lye in their cases and it worked fine according to the hygrometer hung at the other end of the wardrobe.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Saw a lot of reviews complaining about the new version not being very good, not fitting into the sound hole, and going rock solid within a month.

Though, no idea where they (reviewers) are. Hot muggy Louisiana summer vs winter in Ontario would probably be very different for humidity. :)

That said, if the $3 hygrometer is somewhat accurate (+/- 5) it couldn't hurt to have. Especially with the wired probe. Can install in the case and have the probe hover over the sound hole or something.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Use to smoke cigars, now a pipe, yet totally forgot about this style.

The back is flat metal with a hole in it... I assume the hole if where the humidity (or lack of) is detected and measured? So, rather than digital, could mount this in the case, and on the inside, make sure the lining is cut out so the back is exposed... should probably do the trick. And this particular one, $2.82CAD and free ship. Also, "Normal" is in the right spot for an acoustic as well. Be a nice/easy/quick case mod.

However, is that how they work?

A lot of the humidors I see online, the hygrometer is inside the box and the back of it is flat against the wood. So the hole would be blocked.

·
Registered
6,024 Posts
I don’t like the packs and oasis things so I just humidify my home and keep it 45-50 in the winter. I have a 1300 sq ft condo and one double tank humidifier works fine.

You could also just humidity one room and keep the guitar there.

As a result of the foregoing none of my guitars need to have the truss rod adjusted seasonally and they’ve all been stable for about 10 years.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have very bad dry skin in winter especially so this year I'm breaking down and buying a humidifier.

Though in summer... I'll have the opposite issue when it get's very humid in the house. I'd rather buy another guitar than a dehumidifier. :D

·
Registered
6,024 Posts
I have a dehumidifier for summer but find that I don’t need to use it all the time even though South Ontario is known for being humid in summer.

Humidifier definitely makes it more comfortable at home in winter for me and the guitars.

·
Registered
4,581 Posts
I have a big humidifier in my basement where the guitars are and one upstairs on the main floor. Started doing this 3 years ago and man does it make a difference in both your guitar's and your health. No more scratchy, itchy sore throat or dried guitar in the Winter. I'd highly recommend it.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Being in Southern Ontario, (as mentioned by Wardo) we have very humid summers, and dry winters. I built a room for all my guitars to hang, but I don't do it. The strings all rusted in the summer, and I was keeping the room so moist in the winter, I could smell mildew, so I keep them all in the cases now. Our de-humidifier empty's straight to a drain, and runs (basically) non-stop, and our humidifier on the furnace is pretty high-end. We don't get carpet zaps, but the windows can sometimes steam up. So hard to regulate.

I have 4 guitars that I need case humidifiers for. I basically just check them every Sunday. It varies from, "WOW... that is a dry sponge" to "Not too dry, could have gone another day or so". I don't have humidity gauges for each case, but the room has one. Is it possible to over-humidify a guitar??

I'd rather not have a gauge in every case.

I use a Planet Waves: https://www.long-mcquade.com/43/Guitars/Accessories/Planet_Waves/Guitar_Humidifier.htm

I had a sound-hole Kyser that FAILED!!!! It split on the side and dripped down, ruining the centre sticker. A big section of the lettering bled. P**s me off! I also had the kind the needed distilled water, but it still dried up beyond repair. The Planet Waves does not say it requires distilled water, but I've heard it's a good idea because of all the impurities in tap water. (We are on a well)

So many rules, and "should do's"

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
Somewhat like Wardo, I prefer the 'whole house' solution. The HVAC system, which is geothermal in-floor radiant heat as well as forced air, has a steam humidifier, which easily keeps the entire house humidity around 50% all winter (southern Ontario). It also has an HRV system, which prevents windows dripping with condensation and introduces at least a modicum of fresh air to the house. It works....some of my mahogany-neck guitars do indeed need minor truss rod adjustments twice a year, the maple necks....never. And I no longer need any in-case contraptions.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts