The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This is a great discussion on woods and how they affect the tone.

·
Registered
208 Posts
The second video, the one with all those Martins, is especially good in outlining the sounds different woods make. It also shows why pre-war Martins go for tens of thousands. Nothing quite like Brazilian Rosewood!

Great vid too for anyone on the market for a hi end guitar. It is, IMO, a must to try guitars with different woods as one will (almost) inevitably jump out from the lot. That’s probably the guitar for you, then. I have a mahogany Martin (which I love) and my Neighbour has a Indian rosewood Martin (which I play a lot). Both awesome, both very different.

Thanks for posting.

·
Registered
18,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The second video, the one with all those Martins, is especially good in outlining the sounds different woods make. It also shows why pre-war Martins go for tens of thousands. Nothing quite like Brazilian Rosewood!

Great vid too for anyone on the market for a hi end guitar. It is, IMO, a must to try guitars with different woods as one will (almost) inevitably jump out from the lot. That’s probably the guitar for you, then. I have a mahogany Martin (which I love) and my Neighbour has a Indian rosewood Martin (which I play a lot). Both awesome, both very different.

Thanks for posting.
I can't take credit for finding these as I found them on another forum but I thought they were very educational and I learned things I did not know before, which isn't all that difficult. One thing that stood out for me was how different the 3 piece back changed the sound. The graphs too were great in picking out the differents tonal characteristics at different hertz levels.

·
Premium Member
2,867 Posts
While I do think different woods can make a difference when used in a similar application by one builder, once you get into different models and designs by different builders, the wood itself takes a back seat to the build, bracing and voicing style of that builder. The wood gives a flavour, but a rosewood guitar from Taylor and one from Martin are not going to sound as similar as two guitars from the same maker with different woods, at least in my experience.

I've played rosewood and mahogany guitars from many different makers and they sound like the makers guitars, regardless of the wood. That said, they do add something to the sound that is relatively consistent across makers and I tend not to prefer rosewood acoustics from many different manufacturers due to that flavour that it adds (talking Indian rosewood, I suppose). So, I generally prefer a mahogany Taylor over a rosewood one, same as I generally prefer a mahogany Martin over a rosewood one. That said, I'm really quite enjoying the sound of my walnut/lutz Halcyon.

·
Registered
18,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
While much is and has been said about rosewood, I prefer mahogany slightly more than rosewood but what I really prefer is to have one of each.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Very informative and enjoyable video presentations. Thanks, Steadfastly, for posting. I have a couple of Brazilian Rosewood classical guitars (a Kohno and a Peter Daniels, both with German Spruce tops) as well as a Dieter Hopf with East Indian Rosewood and a"Canadian" cedar soundboard. The Hopf is an absolute canon. That said, my PRS Private Stock Angelus (steel string) with Cocobolo back and sides and an Adirondack spruce top has the most distinctive tone (deep and rich in harmonic content). So I guess you could call me an unequivocal Rosewood back and sides fan.

·
Registered
18,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've been taking local guitar lessons in San Jose for a few months now and I've really been enjoying playing it in my spare time. The acoustic guitar has a really warm sound to it and I just love tinkering with it these days. I've been looking at purchasing the Gibson J-15 but it's quite expensive.
Welcome aboard! When you are ready to upgrade your acoustic, you would do well to look at Eastman and Alvarez. They have been making quality instruments for decades at prices the competition can't touch.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts