The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
AC Guitars build progress.

Hi
This is my latest project just started it of this week.
The top,body core,headplate and the fingerboard all came from Larry at Gallery.

Body core will be Swamp Ash with a Sappy Redwood top and a Quilt Maple back both with a black accent line.
Neck 7 piece Bibinga/Flamed Sycamore with a Redwood headplate and a Quilt Maple back plate and heel all with accent veneers.
Fingerboard acrylic impregnated Birdseye Maple.
Hardware all in black.
Hipshot Type A bridge.
Hipshot Ultralites.
2 ACG Fatbas custom wound humbuckers with coil switching on mini-switches.
ACG custom pre-amp.
Schaller straplocks and neutrik locking jack.
Finish will be 60% lacquer on the body with 20% lacquer on the back of the neck for that smooth satin feel.

comments more than welcome.
Cheers
Alan

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
GuitarsCanada said:
This one is shaping up, looks to be another beauty as well. Drool

Many thanks.
Just squared up the neck blank and cut the scarf joint.
The body blank has the top on it but is still in the press.
Should have that out over the weekend and the maple put on the back.
Then back in to the press.
Alan

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi
Just a small update.
The neck has been glued up and the scarf joint sorted out truss rod fitted and the carbon rods glued in the neck has been profiled just the fingerboard to glued on The body blank has been made up and is just waiting for the body to be bandsawed out. The headplate backplate and heel have been cut out and the veneers glued to them. So a fair bit should get done over the next week pics will be here soon.
Alan

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Made a start on Andy's bass a 5 string Recurve.
Body in Black Limba with a Flamed Bibinga top and black veneer accent line.
Neck 7 piece Bibinga/maple with Bibinga headplate back plate and heel all with accent lines. Again most of the woods from Larry at Gallery.

Hardware in black.
ACG pre-amp.
2 ACG custom humbuckers.
Hipshot Type A bridge.
Hipshot Ultralites.
Schaller Straplocks and a Neutrik locking jack.
Finish 60% sheen lacquer on the body and 20% sheen on the neck for a satin feel.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Got some work done on the redwood single cut.
The body has been cut from the blank and the control caity routed out and the cover plate sorted out.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Some more work done on both Recurve single cuts.
The black veneer round the control cavity has been put in and both covers fitted.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi
Got some work done on the Redwood single cut.
The neck has been sorted out and the fingerboard attached and profiled. The F/B radius has been sanded and the frets done.
The headplate glued on and the headstock has been shaped and the tuner holes cut.

·
Registered
29 Posts
wow man thats amazing... any tips or advice, im going to be a first time builder, doing a program at my school where i can make my own instrument...
i've been throwing around alot of different ideas, lately ive been thinking something with a swamp ash body, possibly a WAL style bass... how much did all this stuff cost you?

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi
Go for it. The only thing I would say is take your time. I have made so many mistakes because I just didn't stop to think.
Big fan of wal's which one were you thinking about.
The pre-amp I have developed along with John East is filter based. This works along the same principal as the wal pre-amp.
As to the cost a lot would be a fair estimate.
You should be able to get the materials cheaper than me as most of the wood in this bass came from the US the carriage is a killer.
Cheers
Alan

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hey, what kind of pickups/preamp(preferably purchasable a local music stores) would you recommend for a bass like this, i was thinking of using 2 humbuckers or soapbars

as of late ive been interested in making a bass like this wal
http://walbasses.homestead.com/BCFlamedMaple.html
i really like the two one body, with the flamed maple facings, i would probably use a 5piece neck(maybe wenge and maple?)

thanks for the advice.
Winston:food-smiley-004:

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It depends on what you are looking for if you want it to sound like a Wal your options are limited as not much sounds like a Wal.

Humbuckers would be my first choice if you have a look at my site you will find some links ( in the news section) to a thread started by Basse talking about pre-amps and pickups which might be of some help.

Thats a Mark II I had fretless four string one of those sold it to fund the bass building.
cheers
Alan

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Just got this one finished my first Recurve single cut and my first set neck.

The spec.
Body woods, Alder with an Santos Rosewood top with a 3 mm Tulipwood accent between them.
Neck will be a flamed Sycamore and Mahogany 5 piece with a birdseye/fleck maple acrylic impregnated finger board which will have semi-tone markers in Pear wood. Matching Rosewood headplate. The control cover, neck heel accent and backplate are Bubinga.
2 ACG FatBas pickups and the ACG filter pre-amp.
Hipshot Type A bridge and Hipshot Ultralites Schaller straplocks.
The finish is 60% sheen lacquer on the body with 20% sheen lacquer on the neck.

More pics at.
http://www.acguitars.co.uk/Gallery/105/

1 - 20 of 35 Posts