The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
This is one of my new models in the process of being built. I have several new shapes which I will be building over the next few months any comments more than welcome
The spec.
Body wood is Swamp Ash with a Walnut top and black veneer contrast line both from Larry at Gallery.
The neck is Wenge and the board is ebony.
The bass will have standard ACG spec.

You can see all the models at
www.acguitars.co.uk/specs.php

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hi
More work on the bass today. Carved the body and attached the neck and got it fretted.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
More work on both basses.
The pup routes on the Harlot and the neck shaped using an asymmetric profile on this neck. Got the control cavity routed and made up a bibinga cover plate for the Recurve.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
i feel like I should have to pay money to look at this thread.:eek:
nice work.:rockon:

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Xanadu said:
i feel like I should have to pay money to look at this thread.:eek:
nice work.:rockon:
I hadn't thought of that. Although it is you who is doing me the favour by taking the time to have a look.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Skelfman, those guitars look great. I especially like the walnut top. Unfortunately I have been away from home with work and just returned home a few days ago so have nothing to show anybody just yet. I have just started a version of a flying V. just a trial model made of ash. My thoughts are that flying Vs don't look very aerodynamic so I decided to see if it is feasable to make one that looks like it might actually be able to fly. LOL
It's certainly starting to look very aerodynamic. This is just a project for the fun of it and seems to be more of an exercise in wood carving than guitar making but who knows, somebody might actually want something like it.
Once again great looking guitars.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
More work on the Recurve today.
The pear wood semi-tone lines are in the board.
The truss rod fitted and the carbon rods. A change of plan I think I will now be make this a set neck.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Skelf,

How do you like the Hot Rod truss rods? I've been using them and I definitly like the double action but have encountered a problem with the small 1/8 " allen key fitting stripping. I do however like the the 1/4" hex nut version. Also do you use carbon fiber rods on guitars as well as on Bass. I haven't tried them but have been giving them some thought.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Alan, Alan, Alan... You're bad for me! I think I'm going to have to order my 2nd AC Guitars bass from you before I receive the first! That Harlot is calling to me!!!

I'm telling my wife! You better be watching over your shoulder... *smirk*

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Lowtones said:
Skelf,

How do you like the Hot Rod truss rods? I've been using them and I definitly like the double action but have encountered a problem with the small 1/8 " allen key fitting stripping. I do however like the the 1/4" hex nut version. Also do you use carbon fiber rods on guitars as well as on Bass. I haven't tried them but have been giving them some thought.

Mr Low
I like the hotrods the double action is well worth having.
I have only used the spoke wheel version which I have had no problems with.
I have not used the carbon on the guitars as I laminate most of the necks and that seems more than strong enough. The Wenge necks don't need laminating that stuff is stiff enough with out any help.
On the Wenge necks the string pull is usually not enough to get enough neck relief that is when the dual action is really handy.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
basse said:
Alan, Alan, Alan... You're bad for me! I think I'm going to have to order my 2nd AC Guitars bass from you before I receive the first! That Harlot is calling to me!!!

I'm telling my wife! You better be watching over your shoulder... *smirk*
Maybe you should wait till you try out the first one and if you are happy then we can enter into very complex and convoluted discussions about the Harlot. That way I can look as if I am trying to put you of and may not be harmed by your wife. The pickups I used for the pics are the ones for your bass. The irony.

Are you telling me it is not safe for me to come to Canada even if I bring a present for your wife.

·
Registered
644 Posts
skelf said:
Maybe you should wait till you try out the first one and if you are happy then we can enter into very complex and convoluted discussions about the Harlot. That way I can look as if I am trying to put you of and may not be harmed by your wife. The pickups I used for the pics are the ones for your bass. The irony.

Are you telling me it is not safe for me to come to Canada even if I bring a present for your wife.
Oh it's safe enough to come to Canada. You can stay at my place, I figure that an hour with your inlaws will be more than ample for you, and you can leave your wife to visit with them. We can drink beer, talk about making guitars and do some jamming. :food-smiley-004:

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Lowtones said:
Oh it's safe enough to come to Canada. You can stay at my place, I figure that an hour with your inlaws will be more than ample for you, and you can leave your wife to visit with them. We can drink beer, talk about making guitars and do some jamming. :food-smiley-004:
Sounds good and I don't even have to visit the in laws as they are over here mind you I don't visit them as it is so no change.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
A good day today got a lot done. The neck fitted and the pickups routed out. Also got the carving started.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thats the fingerboard glued up and shaped and rubbed down with steel wool. The fret markers are in pearwood they are easily seen by the player but all but invisible from 5 feet away.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Some pics of the fingerboard.
You can also see the bibinga underneath the fingerboard this will tie in with the heel and the control cavity cover.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts