The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK...

For years I have contemplated getting an acoustic bass... I went and tried several over the years and still do not own one...

I personally find that there is no volume coming out of the dawn thing! Even my semi`s have the same volume output... So why pull the plug on one ??? :confused:

So what gives ???:eek:

I find an acoustic bass is worthless to have !

Whats your opinion ???o_O

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
I love my acoustic bass. I usually play guitar when watching TV and with an electric bass, you can't hear anything. I find using an amp at super low levels does not sound good at all. My acoustic bass has a beautiful tone at a perfect volume.
Plus, you can find them really cheap on Kijiji

·
Premium Member
3,153 Posts
The only acoustic bass worth having for pure acoustic use is an Earthwood (Ernie Ball), but good luck finding one (rare and expensive; people hold on to them). ... Ok there's also The Kingma (but only 2 were ever made), which is even bigger (not really a good campfire candidate).

The rest of them are mostly useful acoustically for practise only (though campfire might be ok if you're not competing with a loud 6 banger). Some were better than others in this regard, but I forget which - my list of the ones I researched is on another comp at the moment.

I love my acoustic bass. I usually play guitar when watching TV and with an electric bass, you can't hear anything. I find using an amp at super low levels does not sound good at all. My acoustic bass has a beautiful tone at a perfect volume.
Plus, you can find them really cheap on Kijiji
Get a better bass ;P I can hear most of my solidbodies just fine (tho maybe not with the TV blaring; I don't do that). Try also the old green room/backstage practice trick: touch the tip of the headstock to a wall, ideally between studs not on one (must be drywall vs brick etc).The wall with sympathetically resonate creating a mild amplification.

Unlike guitar, bass amps are mostly solid state and you're not looking for OD - why would an amp at low levels sound not good? I do that all the time; my crappy Peavey Bandit sounds good for bass at low volumes and it's a guitar amp.

·
Premium Member
3,153 Posts
Ah resonators; didn't think of those cuz they are technically amplified and sound very different, but yeah, that would work.

·
Premium Member
3,152 Posts
I have a Gold Tone resonator bass that is louder than any other acoustic bass I've tried. It does have a magnetic pickup but I rarely need it.

PBB: Paul Beard Resonator Bass Guitar | Gold Tone Folk Instruments
Definitely keeping my eyes open for one of those. I expected a brasher tone, but the videos certainly sound sufficiently bass-like, yet with an interesting voice. Holds it's own with the banjo with no apparent amplification. Thanks for that!

·
Premium Member
4,068 Posts
This is my Goldtone MicroBass. It could hang in an acoustic setting as long as everyone else is not too too loud.

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
I have an Ibanez and it's not really loud enough for anything but practice.
It has a pickup and really needs to be plugged in even if playing along with an acoustic guitar. Needless to say it doesn't get used, if I have to plug in anyway, I'll use an electric as I find them much more comfortable.
Like the others have shown with pics, to get good acoustic volume you need a very big, deep, body, like the mariachi bands use.

·
Premium Member
161 Posts
I've got an Oskar Graf acoustic bass guitar. It's lovely, and will cheerfully keep up with a medium sized ensemble.

(I just checked Oskar's web page, and it seems that he really has pretty much retired. Good for him, too bad for some of us. :)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hey Ovation makes an acoustic bass...i owned one briefly...then ended up selling it to my bands bass player...(as im a guitar picker) this was years ago...but The bass player still owns & Loves it still to this day.

Sent from my LGMS550 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,153 Posts
I have an Ibanez and it's not really loud enough for anything but practice.
It has a pickup and really needs to be plugged in even if playing along with an acoustic guitar. Needless to say it doesn't get used, if I have to plug in anyway, I'll use an electric as I find them much more comfortable.
Like the others have shown with pics, to get good acoustic volume you need a very big, deep, body, like the mariachi bands use.

A Guitaron.

Those are the what the Earthwood is based on.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts