The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all
This is my first post here so be patient...
Is it ok to make a guitar body by laminating the boards one on top of the other to arrive at the desired thickness?
Thanks for your time!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am trying to make something small, in the lines of a travel guitar. I will be using 2 pieces of Birch on one and a combination of birch and oak for the other.
One more question: if using a TOM bridge and want to avoid the neck angle, is it ok to just bury the bridge about half an inch in the body? I think I've read it somewhere and I've definitely seen it on some guitars.
Thanks for your time!

L

·
0 Posts
if using a TOM bridge and want to avoid the neck angle, is it ok to just bury the bridge about half an inch in the body?
TOM's are less then a 1/2" thick (height).
The saddles would be flush with the body top.
How would you strum the strings?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was going to do something in the lines of a Hofner Shorty... I looked at a pic and you are right, the bridge is not recessed...
But I did see recessed TOM bridges, maybe not by that much, like in the pic below...
This is to compensate for the lack of an angle in the neck pocket or the heel of the neck itself, right?
Please be patient with me, I'm a first time builder...

·
Premium Member
5,090 Posts
I've got a Fender blacktop HH Jaguar that came with a TOM. Flat body, straight neck. It works without an angle or a recess and doesn't have high action.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Is the fingerboard raised more than usual?
I guess I will do some tests to see if the bridge needs to be recessed before actually doing it...

That being said...any comments on my choice of wood for the body... The necks are pre-made...too much for me.

·
Premium Member
1,265 Posts
Neck angle, if you need to recess a TOM that does work and shouldn't be an issue for proper function. No neck angle and neck higher than the body by .375" (like a Tele or Strat) would require a shallow route under the bridge to allow the bridge to function and keep the string height intact.

Lamination - it's fine to do like Gibson did in the Norlin era with the "pancake" construction, or like Fender did with the rosewood Tele's, even separating the layers with a maple veneer.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That is sweet looking man... I will have to do the opposite since my choice of wood is quite pale, I will have to find some dark(er) veneer.
Thanks for your input!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
So I was thinking to post some pics of my first guitar...

It is a small guitar for a small player. It's also supposed to be transportable....

Edit
It seems that there is something wrong with the image tags...tried different things to no avail :(
Any ideas?
Edit 2
Nevermind...figured it out
The neck is a beater, I just sanded the headstock to remove the logo and refinished it using Tru-Oil. The body is two pieces of birch sandwiched on top of each other. The colour is Min Wax gold pecan (or something like that). The finish is wipe-on poly, 14 layers sanded with 220, 320, 600, 800, 100, 1500 and 2000. Two humbuckers from a Dean Playmate and that's it... Feel free to comment.

·
Premium Member
17,191 Posts
Congrats! Looks like a fun guitar to play.

How is the action, given the discussion earlier in the thread?

ENJOY!

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Pic number two. How to trick my mind. Those humbuckers, knobs and switch look huge :) (Mind is expecting the body / parts relationship like it is used to...)

Made me laugh at my self.

Looks like great traveling guitar. Do you have issues with rolling?

yours truly
Bojan

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
@greco: The action is quite low, too low for my taste. My tech set it up for me... I had to go through the first layer fully with the neck pocket and the strings would still be touching the fretboard. I had to shim the neck and raise the bridge to be able to strum it.
@Bojan: I did what I could with what I had... the idea was to spend as little as possible.
What do you mean? Having issues with rolling?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts