The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone here is using Ableton with guitars, bass and drums?
If so, why this DAW over another one?

·
Premium Member
1,767 Posts
I had the demo version and it worked well for recording. I didn't try out the drum loop library, but its supposed to be very good.
Definitely more geared towards DJs

·
Registered
113 Posts
Definitely more geared towards DJs
I wouldn’t say that at all. Electronic music? Sure. Not DJ’s though. I’ve used it and find it works well for anyone who thinks about arrangements in quantum terms - as a collage of segments, loops, parts, etc. - rather than in more linear terms. I’m more of a linear person, so havn’t ended up using it as my main DAW. Bu I’d say it’s worth a try for anyone who’s interested in writing, arranging and recording their own material. It makes you (or maybe I should say “allows you” or “encourages you”) to think in what might be a somewhat different way than you’re used to. I’d suggest downloading the demo and giving it a try. It’s definitely a solid piece of kit.

Reactions: Dorian2 and Ti-Ron

·
Premium Member
1,767 Posts
I wouldn’t say that at all. Electronic music? Sure. Not DJ’s though. I’ve used it and find it works well for anyone who thinks about arrangements in quantum terms - as a collage of segments, loops, parts, etc. - rather than in more linear terms. I’m more of a linear person, so havn’t ended up using it as my main DAW. Bu I’d say it’s worth a try for anyone who’s interested in writing, arranging and recording their own material. It makes you (or maybe I should say “allows you” or “encourages you”) to think in what might be a somewhat different way than you’re used to. I’d suggest downloading the demo and giving it a try. It’s definitely a solid piece of kit.
Now you're making me want to try it again :)

·
Premium Member
901 Posts
I used it in a band a long time ago to trigger some keyboard parts and drum loops / percussion. Different “scenes” were triggered with a MIDI foot controller to switch between intro/verse/chorus/bridge/outro sections. It was nice because Abelton would only switch at the end of a bar, so you didn’t have to be super precise triggering each section. But it allowed for some spontaneity and didn’t require counting bars to keep up with a prerecorded track.

This does require that the drummer (or everyone) is playing to a click. One trick I learned is your click doesn’t have to be an annoying “click” sound, but could be a shaker or something else more pleasant. If you aren’t using IEM’s, you can have some of your “click” in the monitor wedges and if it bleeds into the mix a little it doesn’t sound terrible.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts