The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
24,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Someone sent me an anonymous package with a bunch of pedal-building supplies, and I don't know who. It was sent via Canada Post, so I know it came from within Canada, but there was no return address, and no note enclosed that might identify the very generous donor. I don't know if this was done out of haste and forgetfulness, or deliberately just to toy with me.

The package contained some new things, some old things, and some supplies that only a fellow pedal-builder would have hanging around. Included was a BYOC Confidence Booster kit and, of all things, an older Fender amp footswitch unit that the person likely knew I could adapt. But nothing that was, of itself, a dead giveaway of the identity of the sender.

I have some hunches about who this lovely thoughtful gift might be narrowed down to, but nothing that confirms it for me. I thought it was a work-mate who also builds, but a careful full inspection of any possible facial "tells" indicates he is not the one, and he is every bit as curious as I am. If you are willing to admit this delightful gesture offline, please let me know. I'd like to know to whom I should be grateful.

And if you wish to remain perpetually anonymous, thanks for the gift.

·
Premium Member
9,722 Posts
better you than me....if I received an anonymous package filled with wires and electronics, it'd be on the news lol

·
Registered
24,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Where was it sent from in Canada?
No indication. If there was any clue on the markings, I wouldn't be posting this thread. There are NO clues.
What can you build with it?
A few things. I can easily adapt the footswitch unit to be a 3-in-one pedal for boosters or fuzzes or both. There were a half dozen 3PDT stompswitches so I'm set up to help wade through the 3 bins of stuffed-but-uninstalled boards (and one can be used for the already completed Confidence Booster board). The plastic chassis can be used for assorted power-distribution boxes, and the sheet of vero can be used to make some of the many circuits on the Ivlark site ( Guitar FX Layouts: 2017 ). And the heat-shrink tubing can be used for anything.

For some of us, a package like this is a bit like receiving a decent late-70's slant-six vehicle, and a $10k NAPA gift certificate, or a free cottage and a $10k Home Depot gift certificate - a tinkerer's dream.

·
Premium Member
17,321 Posts
No indication. If there was any clue on the markings, I wouldn't be posting this thread. There are NO clues.
The city/location that a parcel is mailed from is usually on the Canada Post sticker, IIRC from sending out the Mogami cable orders.

·
Premium Member
17,321 Posts
OK..I confessed to @mhammer by PM. I sent it.
I didn't want to see him spend any more of his valuable time trying to sort out this mystery. Admittedly, however, it was somewhat tempting.

I drove to a Canada Post outlet in nearby Cambridge to try and fool him.

The footswitch (complete, but in pieces and slightly modified) is from @Hamstrung ...It is a project that I started for him and never finished.
I can't remember the details of what happened..but he was happy to donate it to this parcel.

The remaining items are bits and pieces from my bench and storage.

I wanted to recognize @mhammer 's special "event" (he can tell you more).

I also wanted to let him know how much I appreciated all that he has contributed to my education in the areas of electronics and psychology and to thank him again for his hospitality during my visit to Ottawa last summer.

Cheers

Dave

·
Registered
18,560 Posts
Threads like this are awesome!

·
Registered
24,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Ain't he sweet? :) Yep, turns out it was Dave. He was my second or third guess, after my workmate, but the piece of veroboard threw me off. I thought "Hmm, he's certainly thoughtful enough to do something like this, but in all these years I've never heard him mention anything about working with veroboard. Where would he get some?"

If he wasn't this decent a guy he could be a master criminal.

As of 5:30 yesterday, I am officially retired. Now I just have to see if the pension cheques can fight their way through Phoenix. Glad I was a tightwad for the last few years and made a point of saving, just in case. I'm going to have to order a pile of enclosures and get cracking. The booster kit Dave sent is done and waiting installation, and there are quite a few dozen others in line behind it. I'm expecting to get offers of casual contracts, come March, but I may still be installing things into boxes then!

Thanks again. VERY happy ending.

·
Premium Member
17,321 Posts
If he wasn't this decent a guy he could be a master criminal.
This statement made me laugh.

True story...

In about Grade 3 or so (IIRC) the teacher was asking each of us in the class to answer the following question (verbally...up one row and down the next).
"What do you want to 'be' when you grow up"
Of course, there were the typical and expected answers.."nurse", "fireman", "forest ranger", etc

I answered "bank robber" .

The school phoned my parents. That evening it was "formally" discussed at home. I told them I was just kidding because I hadn't decided what I wanted to 'be'.

L

·
0 Posts
"What do you want to 'be' when you grow up"
A teacher asks her class, "What do you want to be when you grow up?" Little Johnny says
"I wanna be a billionaire, going to the most expensive clubs, take the best bitch with me,
give her a Ferrari worth over a million bucks, an apartment in Hawaii, a mansion in Paris,
a jet to travel through Europe, an Infinite Visa Card and to make love to her three times a
day". The teacher, shocked, and not knowing what to do with the bad behavior of the child,
decides not to give importance to what he said and then continues the lesson.
"And you, Susie?" the teacher asks. Susie says "I wanna be Johnny's bitch."

1 - 20 of 28 Posts