The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Premium Member
22,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just received two very nice bodies from Nieman Guitars, and is it just me or does this neck that landed on my lap (didn't order it) kind of match the colouring of this body?

Hmmmm, weird.

Anyway, as you can see, Strat style neck. This will be a hardtail (Hipshot bridge) with ferrules for backloading. It will have two humbuckers. I have an NOS DiMarzio Super Distortion so I'll likely use that in the bridge position. Neck pup TBD.

Wood Floor Flooring Musical instrument Automotive exterior

Couch Wood Comfort Outdoor furniture Wing

Wood Musical instrument String instrument Natural material Folk instrument

·
Premium Member
22,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This is one I do intend to finish in a more conventional natural manner.

Amanda is working on the Thunderbolt Grease Slapper right now. That one will be really cool too.

I'll start sanding and filling this one tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
5,933 Posts
An oil finish would look freaking amazing on that. Gorgeous neck!

·
Monster Replier
'97 Strat Plus, 70's Northern Strat Copy
4,080 Posts
This is one I do intend to finish in a more conventional natural manner.

Amanda is working on the Thunderbolt Grease Slapper right now. That one will be really cool too.

I'll start sanding and filling this one tomorrow.
Dude, from you "more conventional" could still mean just about anything :)

Have fun man!

·
Premium Member
22,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That's going to look awesome! Fine looking wood. Where is that neck from? That's my favourite look in a flamed maple neck.
Well, that's a bit of a mystery. A few weeks ago I received a package containing two necks from somewhere in China.

I did look at necks on a Chinese site, but never pulled the trigger and certainly didn't select any of the tinting that the two necks had applied. I checked, and no payment was made. So, the necks were....free?

Another member here grabbed one from me and I kept this one.

So, long story short, it's a Chinese made fender styled neck, poly finished. The fretwork looks and feels fine and the truss rod works perfectly. it's worth a try.

·
Premium Member
22,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The artist style is built into the wood for that project, a little enhancement and it should turn out superb with your skills.
Nice of you to say, thank you.

My "skills" are meager at best, but I have the wealth of resources from much more experienced builders here, not to mention my own set up man (Steve Blundon) to draw from.

·
Premium Member
22,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Sanded to 400 grit. I have a couple of little spots to fill with grain filler, but the grain on this (presumably most poplar as well) is pretty closed so I'm just using a little water to bring up the furry spots and sanding them smooth. I don't see a need to grain fill the whole body.

Feels pretty smooth already, but I'll go up to 600 grit next and probably up to 1000 ~ 1500 grit ultimately.

The new Hipshot bridge should arrive today.

Musical instrument Wood String instrument Plucked string instruments Font

Sleeve Wood Grey Baby & toddler clothing Flooring

1 - 20 of 64 Posts