The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
26,341 Posts
I hate to be a party pooper, but it takes a tone arm and cartridge to hear music from vinyl. How much choice in cartridges does the user of such a turntable have? As well, counterweights are normally used to minimize and optimize the downward pressure applied to the cartridge and imposed on the vinyl, so that the stylus makes optimum contact with the vinyl and still has optimum compliance such that the vinyl grooves can make that little sucker wiggle real good. I don't understand how one would adjust the forced upward pressure of a stylus to play the bottom of a disc.

It's cute, and everything, but just about everything regarding vinyl and cartridges is predicated on fine-tuned gravity doing the heavy lifting. There's just too damn much mechanical coupling involved in this thing for me to have great confidence in it.

·
Premium Member
18,696 Posts
The MSRP is $850.00 (USD assumed) ?

As a wanna be minimalist, I raise a toast to this amazing turntable!

·
Premium Member
18,334 Posts
After reading Marks' post, I wonder if there will be complaints from owners about the player eating up their records a bit faster - or if part of the price is to do with the R&D that went into making it perform just like a regular player.

·
Registered
12,011 Posts
I really have no idea what's good out there for turntables these days.

I'd like to get one though. A few years ago someone insisted on giving me a mint Pioneer receiver they didn't want anymore. I was like ok......

Then last summer someone else insisted on giving me some 70's Altec Lansing stereo speakers in heavy wooden cabinets. I was like alright.....

So if anyone wants to give me a turntable I guess I'm ok with that too. However, I don't mind buying a turntable, I just have no idea what's decent out there.

·
Premium Member
12,979 Posts
Due to the cartridge/tone arm issues, I doubt any hi-fi guy would be interested, except as a second one for display (those guys piss money away like it's made outa trees).

Speaking from experience, as a foolish young man, I got rid of a decent 'normal' turntable for a fancy-dancy tangential tonearm-in-the-lie Technics, everything run by pushbuttons. It was a mistake. I did get a good stylus for it (was comparatively expensive) but I wonder now if I could find another.

·
Registered
6,539 Posts
I have an excellent condition and completely rebuilt Pioneer PL-530. Its a mid level 70's Turntable. I play vinyl maybe once a month or so for the fun of it. Part of the fun of owning a turntable is the appearance. There are ways I can improve the sound if I want, different cartridge, different stylus, different tonearm, etc. I probably won't change anything stock other than the cartridge/stylus but its nice to know I can. My turntable cost me $300 off CANAM and probably sounds better than this minimalist table as well as looks way better.

·
Premium Member
26,341 Posts
Y'know, as questionable an idea as an upside down turntable is, it can't hold a candle to in-dash record players. You needed some seriously good shock absorbers to be able to play a 2:30 45RPM without skipping. You probably also likely needed to drive at 20kph or slower.

·
Registered
6,271 Posts
I hate to be a party pooper, but it takes a tone arm and cartridge to hear music from vinyl. How much choice in cartridges does the user of such a turntable have? As well, counterweights are normally used to minimize and optimize the downward pressure applied to the cartridge and imposed on the vinyl, so that the stylus makes optimum contact with the vinyl and still has optimum compliance such that the vinyl grooves can make that little sucker wiggle real good. I don't understand how one would adjust the forced upward pressure of a stylus to play the bottom of a disc.

It's cute, and everything, but just about everything regarding vinyl and cartridges is predicated on fine-tuned gravity doing the heavy lifting. There's just too damn much mechanical coupling involved in this thing for me to have great confidence in it.
Looks like no choice at all: Please note: The Modified AT95E cartridge is adjusted for each Wheel and can't be user replaced. The stylus is user replaceable. Replacement styli will be available from the moment Wheel ships.

Not a stellar cartridge to be stuck with, but I assume this is more about design/looks than audio quality/fidelity. I'll take a Rega P2 or a Pro-Ject Debut over this any day.

·
Registered
3,730 Posts
I think that thing is cool

linear tracker too

reminds me of something B&O would make

those inexpensive AT carts are actually pretty good. I use one on my daily driver TT...no complaints, and it was only $30!

*edit* wow just saw the price...800 bones??

no thanks...you can buy a very good TT for that, which allows you to use whatever cart/stylus you want

·
Registered
15,293 Posts
Y'know, as questionable an idea as an upside down turntable is, it can't hold a candle to in-dash record players. You needed some seriously good shock absorbers to be able to play a 2:30 45RPM without skipping. You probably also likely needed to drive at 20kph or slower.
They work best when the car isn't moving. As far as the strange player goes, I'll keep the ones I have. Not too sure what they would do to '78s from the 20s and what those '78s would do to the cartridge.

·
Premium Member
26,341 Posts
They work best when the car isn't moving. As far as the strange player goes, I'll keep the ones I have. Not too sure what they would do to '78s from the 20s and what those '78s would do to the cartridge.
If one is sitting in the parking lot, waiting, then I suppose being able to put on a few discs to pass the time wouldn't be so bad. But I would think the easier thing to do would simply be to turn the radio on and listen to Max Ferguson.

When I was much younger, I had a record player that did all speeds from 16-2/3 up to 78. My mum would buy me kids records (I still have a Lone Ranger 45 from then) from the corner store, that also served as post office. We also bought our needles there. Interestingly, styluses at that time - pre-"Hifi" - were steel. You'd loosen a set screw at the end of the tone arm, insert a new needle, and tighten the set screw. The needles were essentially little straight pins. You could get a couple of dozen plays out of them, by which point they would have lost their point...which is why they were sold in, as I recall, little envelopes of 10 for a quarter. I'm assuming the cartridges were crystal.

·
Premium Member
12,979 Posts
I think that thing is cool

linear tracker too

reminds me of something B&O would make

those inexpensive AT carts are actually pretty good. I use one on my daily driver TT...no complaints, and it was only $30!

*edit* wow just saw the price...800 bones??

no thanks...you can buy a very good TT for that, which allows you to use whatever cart/stylus you want
A buddy of mine worked at a B&O warranty repair shop. He called them "Lloyds for the rich". Crap inside, but they looked pretty.

·
Premium Member
4,907 Posts
I really have no idea what's good out there for turntables these days.

I'd like to get one though. A few years ago someone insisted on giving me a mint Pioneer receiver they didn't want anymore. I was like ok......

Then last summer someone else insisted on giving me some 70's Altec Lansing stereo speakers in heavy wooden cabinets. I was like alright.....

So if anyone wants to give me a turntable I guess I'm ok with that too. However, I don't mind buying a turntable, I just have no idea what's decent out there.
Just bought a Fluance RT80. Impressed so far. Really benefits from a small preamp though unless your amp already has that.

·
Premium Member
3,433 Posts

There IS a cartridge and a tone arm. It is a linear tonearm (itself nothing new; many high end systems towards the end of vinyl's golden era used them e.g. B&O, but there are others - including some very high end modrern/current designs). They operate differently and do not need a counterweight. The only innovation here is that they have mounted the thing underneath the record vs on top and made it all nice and hidden. the actual technology is over 40 years old. If I am not mistaken linear tonearms were used in some lathes (the specialized turntables that 'cut' the master laquer of a record from which the stampers are made to mass produce the rest) before they were evr used on consumer playback units. They are supposed to be more accurate with better tracking but were much more expensive than traditional tone arms.

I like this Wheel thing. A very good idea at the right time to have a good chance of success. The price also isn't even that bad considering what mid to high end TTs can go for ... and that'swithout an internal amp. That said, if I were on the market (I'm not - perfectly happy with my Technics at home and Thorens at the studio) I would have questions re whether it does both 33 and 45 RPM (I have a lot of 45s) and how to switch speeds, as well as if the internal amp can be bypassed (normal phone out) or if a unit without the amp (at lower price) would be available for those who already have an amp they really like. And yes; cartridge comparability (I really love my Denon DL-103 MM, but I doubt this thing has the required preamp for anything but the more common/ubiquitous MC type).

... edit: it does do reg phono out as well as line out (with internal preamp). Also a headphone amp. no actual internal amp for driving speakers - the video was a buit confusing in this regard, but the Kickstarter page is clearer about it.

·
Premium Member
12,979 Posts
Tangential tone arms are fine, especially in theory. In practice, it limited the cartridges you could buy.

This doesn't have a field replaceable cartridge. You get what they give you. That kills it for me.

·
Registered
6,271 Posts
Tangential tone arms are fine, especially in theory. In practice, it limited the cartridges you could buy.

This doesn't have a field replaceable cartridge. You get what they give you. That kills it for me.
You can replace the stylus, but you're stuck with the AT cartridge it comes with, so you can keep using it, but no upgrading.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts