The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Not long ago I read an article on how tiny, almost undetectable microchips were being installed on computer equipment destined for use in the military, cell phone, banking, and business environment. I lost track of it, but it stayed in the back of my mind. I finally found the article again.

Not to get political, but this also ties in with the extradition of the Huawei executive from Canada to the US. Note that this is not a political move, but one that comes from a treaty that is from the legal system, which is a separate entity from the political system.

https://www.multichannel.com/blog/big-hack-or-big-hoax

You will have to follow the link to the Bloomberg Businessweek article at the top of the story I linked to. For some reason I can't figure out how to direct link to it.

Here is a related story:

Chinese spies reportedly inserted microchips into servers used by Apple, Amazon, and others

·
Premium Member
1,206 Posts
I can’t quite figure out the logic or the competence problem that would have resulted in this, but nonetheless if you dig deeper and wider, you’ll discover that the Bloomberg story appears to be complete fiction. No doubt there is plenty of cyber spying happening, but it doesn’t appear to be in any way like asserted by Bloomberg.

·
Registered
7,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I too am confused. There are a lot of people that are denying the story is true. Particularly parties involved.

I thought Bloomberg was a pretty reputable publication, not prone to "inquirer" type stories. Some are saying the article is simply not true, very few are on the fence saying it is a "could be" but not totally verified, or verifiable. It does make one stop and ponder the possibilities though.

Denying your company has been compromised would be the "PR" way to do things, while fixing things in the background. One wonders if an issue of this scale would, by necessity, be covered up as much as possible, but I am not seeing anything that supports Bloomberg's article, and you would think there would be at least some on an issue this big.

·
Premium Member
1,206 Posts
It’s not the fact that it is denied that is interesting, that is par for course. It’s the proactive extent of the denials. Normally, a PR response is to respond ambiguously and shut up. In this case, there is repeated, unsolicited, aggressive response from all named parties well beyond what would be needed to just make an ambiguous comment.

And there is little reason to be in the “could be” middle camp. If you have access to the hardware, you can just look and measure. Fair that if you hadn’t looked, you might not know. But now that it is so “clearly” described, this is just something that cannot be missed (as described).

And with a little tech background (which I and many people around me have in spades), there are WAY WAY WAY WAY better ways to infiltrate and not be detected than the cute, but naive approach Bloomberg describes. This is the primary basis for my belief that the story is false as stated.

But still, how could/why would Bloomberg undermine all possible credibility of their past, present, and future by getting it so utterly wrong?

In the end, there are two victims here: Super Micro that is an awesome company, in fact; and Bloomberg. Hm ...

·
Registered
7,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
And with a little tech background (which I and many people around me have in spades), there are WAY WAY WAY WAY better ways to infiltrate and not be detected than the cute, but naive approach Bloomberg describes. This is the primary basis for my belief that the story is false as stated.
Awesome that someone with the technical chops would put in their 2 cents. Thank you very much.

·
Premium Member
1,206 Posts
Awesome that someone with the technical chops would put in their 2 cents. Thank you very much.
Thanks. As a caution, one should always use one’s own critical thinking as a) “experts” do get lots of things wrong, b) may have an agenda, and probably most nefariously, c) details matter and are about 99% misreported when digested down to modern mass reporting.

But on this issue, a few of us have discussed in some detail how it could be done and, particularly with the resource of a world economic leader state actor, this would have been a naive approach; not amateurish, but naive. I am also (a bit more than) friends with people I respect with executive level access (but no equity) at Super Micro, and they are passionately pissed that this false story did or would destroy Super Micro; unjust.

·
Registered
3,631 Posts
according to that article, Canada is still considering using Chinese companies to build it's new 5G network??

WTF

1 - 10 of 10 Posts