The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gather 'round kiddies....
I know it's nearing the end of the season but,

Here's two thermometers/hygrometers that have been side by side in this location for three days.
The one on the right I've had for a few years and the one on the left was in my xmas stocking just past.

The temps are within a degree or two of each other..totally acceptable.
The humidity readings have more than 10% discrepancy, not real good right ?

Time to do the old salt test.(tbsp. of saturated salt ,sealed container =75%)

I put the new one in a sealed tupperware container for around 20 hours and it checked out at 72%,three low of the 75% mark...ok that's not bad..now I know to add 3% to whatever reading I get for an actual humidity right ?

And now I know the old white one is reading at least 10-15% low right ?:)

Maybe not...

In the interest of science,(and I was bored),I got some fresh salt and put both units in the same container for an overnight stay.

I checked them today at noon (about 18 hours)the new one was pretty much right where it was with the first test.72%
The old white one was measuring 1% lower.71%

Pretty much the same.o_O

Now that they have been out of the Tupperware for a few hours,they are back to reading the same as they did in the picture.o_O

This raises the question...At what price point should one expect accuracy/consistency ?

B#(*

·
Premium Member
3,700 Posts
Haha. I too have had no luck with those friggin things. All cheap of course.

·
Registered
18,585 Posts
I fine The Weather Network is very accurate, it's free and takes up no extra space in my home.

·
Registered
18,585 Posts
What does the Weather Network say the humidity is near your woodstove right now ?
Good point. I use a humidifier with a built in hygrometer. It works great for indoors while The Weather Network works great for outdoors.

And how did you know I have a wood stove?:)

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
And how did you know I have a wood stove?:)
I didn't actually.....I do ,hence my hygrometer testing.
My dehumidifier that I run in the summer has a built in one, I don't trust it anymore either as far as accuracy .

Don't care about the outside humidity,can't do anything about that .

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Is this an East Coast kind of thing to have or am I just spoiled or lazy?
Low humidity is mostly a concern with non laminate acoustics.
You don't have low humidity very often out there .
Inland in the winter heating season, it's dryer than a popcorn fart for months on end.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
I am concerned with the humidity in my home during the winter. It gets so dry that my skin on my legs itch so bad that I tend to shred them open with my finger nails. Also, I was taking ridiculous static electricity shocks.

I mostly use the meter to know when I can stop running my humidifier.

·
Registered
18,585 Posts
I didn't actually.....I do ,hence my hygrometer testing.
My dehumidifier that I run in the summer has a built in one, I don't trust it anymore either as far as accuracy .

Don't care about the outside humidity,can't do anything about that .
Of course you are correct. But for me, it is close enough. I think it's within 10% so that's good enough for my purposes. If I had a roomful of acoustics or even one real good one, that would be a different matter.

·
Registered
676 Posts
I use four hygrometers in the same room. One is adjustable, and I calibrate it each year at the start of the 'furnace' season. I trust it the most. I bought it on Ebay for $22 about five years ago.
The other three all read a bit lower than the calibrated one, so I take their readings with a grain of salt (pun intended). I try and keep it at around mid-forty %.

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'd always suspected the old white one was reading below actual levels down by the stove...what surprised me was the two were reading the same when they were in the test container.
So now I'm not sure which one is reading more accurately at lower humidity.
I'm no further ahead than I was before I tested.

·
Registered
18,585 Posts
I used to sell these when I was in the business. If you want something super accurate then it is the way to go. Not the most convenient as you need to wet the sock and sling it but they are relatively inexpensive and easy to use.

Reactions: J-75 and High/Deaf

·
Premium Member
12,948 Posts
If you have forced-air heat and good acoustic guitars, you should be thinking about it this year. I've had mine drop to 35% for a week or so more than once this [email protected]#&ing winter. Ahhh, the winter of my discontent!

·
Premium Member
12,948 Posts
I used to sell these when I was in the business. If you want something super accurate then it is the way to go. Not the most convenient as you need to wet the sock and sling it but they are relatively inexpensive and easy to use.

Ahhh yes, but are you that talented with your right hand? That guys obviously had lots of practice. ;)

·
Premium Member
3,700 Posts
This thing will tell you where you're at, and how much leeway you have before you start creating IAQ problems. It also reads my dogs' thoughts.

View attachment 69289
Lol. The dogs thoughts... looks blank.
My wife told me some woman developed a language of about 500 words to talk to her dog. It took years. She reported (very seriously) that the dog liked to talk about food and going outside. Sorry lady, you just wasted five years.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Taylor guitars recommends the cheap electronic kind over the analog type. Over the years I've bought 3. They were all under $10.

I once set them up side by each over the course of several days, and noted that they were pretty close, with one consistently reading 5%RH under. Good enough for me. I made a note of that difference on the meter itself with a sharpie.

Now I keep one in the room and the other two in the acoustic cases with the acoustics (which I humidily with a combination of the D'Addario humidipacks and a damp basic kitchen sponge in a ziploc bag that is left partially open. This sponge prolongs the life of the humidipacks considerably which themselves act as insurance in case I go too long without opening a given guitar. Works beautifully for me.

·
Premium Member
3,700 Posts
Now that my wife and I are retired, I was able to build a small home for us. Electric heat (hydronic baseboard type) is the best way to go in a SMALL home. No ducts, no fan, no air exchange, low installation cost. Thousands of dollars saved for future electricity bills (marginally higher than gas in SK).

No humidity problems whatsoever. I wouldn't try this in a larger home where a gas furnace and ducts is more practical.

My dad used to remove the dryer duct and put pantyhose over the dryer outlet and blow all that clothes-drying moisture straight into the basement where the furnace duct would pick it up and circulate it through the house. Mind you, he burned wood too which is the worst offender.

Leave water in the bathtub. Also great emergency toilet flushing water if things really go south. Leave the lid off, fill the tank with a pot, perfect flush.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts