The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Premium Member
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am loving a smaller 1 12 cab with my full sized Marshall head- these 2 sound like a million bucks together- however aesthetically I am left with the T look- big head on smaller cab- are there any simple solutions for this- or should it even matter?

·
Premium Member
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a 2 12 -its just the cab in question sounds crazy good with the Marshall- a perfect match.

·
Premium Member
16,627 Posts
The "T" is what you're going to get unless you put the cab in front of the head - which, IMO, won't look any better. When you use a 112 cab, it's part of the package.

·
Registered
7,188 Posts
Put the 1 x 12 cab inside a slightly oversized fake cabinet (ie: same width as the head) that looks better to you. You could also make it so the speaker tilts up inside the fake cab so it point more at your head. You could also build in some sort of system into the fake cab that holds your pedals, cords or whatever so moving your set up is easier.

I thought the question was a good one, not stupid at all.

·
Registered
5,487 Posts
Put the 1 x 12 cab inside a slightly oversized fake cabinet (ie: same width as the head) that looks better to you. You could also make it so the speaker tilts up inside the fake cab so it point more at your head. You could also build in some sort of system into the fake cab that holds your pedals, cords or whatever so moving your set up is easier.

I thought the question was a good one, not stupid at all.
That was going to be my idea. Build a pair a cable holders with matching cloth to sit beside your 112.

·
Premium Member
8,541 Posts
I took a piece of MDF the size of the entire bottom of the amp head, put holes where the head's feet go, and a hole where the handle on top of my cab (I know not all 1x12's have top handles, mine does). Put the MDF down on the cab, the hole where the handle is keeps things from sliding around.....the amp's feet go in their little holes, keeping them from sliding. It's still a T, but a very stable one. And, no, I don't care.

·
Premium Member
3,153 Posts
Turn the cab on its side.

Put the head on the floor or on a stand.
What I was gonna say. I would just add that the head can be stood on it's end next to the cab. Sometimes that looks better. Head not on top of the cab is actually better for tone (the speaker vibrates the amp; not ideal, which is why some amps, like some old Voxes, and especially higher powered heads like the Fender 400PS, had a separate stand for the head despite being a nice match, size-wise, for the cab).

I hate the T as well, but tone is more important.

·
Premium Member
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Alex you got it- man does that cab make my Marshall sound amazing- I think it is one of the best Marshall tones I have ever heard. Now before people jump on that- I go for the Marshall plexi type tone- with a strat- probably my favourite sound if done right.

·
Premium Member
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

Was thinking about one of these ampendage stands and sitting my head in front of the speaker on the floor, or I could keep the head on its own stand- already have a different amp stand- so put the head on that one- facing me but not facing the audience......

·
Premium Member
3,153 Posts
Personally I think a head on a stand without a cab underneath (a la the Fender 400PS ad above) looks weird (in a bad way). Riffing off what you said in that last post, it occurs to me that a great place for the head would be front of stage (facing you , rear to the audience as you said) but not too elevated. Like next to your pedalboard (if you have one) not much off the floor if at all, and tilted back a bit (like a Twin with those metal side legs). That would be better for top mounted amps vs bottom like Marshalls, but still. You can then use shorter guitar cables (less noise, more highs) and just get a frick long speaker cable (totally fine), AND the controls are right there in front of you in case a tweak is required.

It would be easy enough to cut out 2 wooden L brackets to do the job. If you don't connect them with a crossmember they will be small and easy to transport. Or the crossmember can be removable - just sits in a slot. See my super-detailed professional CAD mockup attached (not to scale; general idea - can make it taller or whatever; crossmember slot in yellow).

upload_2017-5-11_13-30-37.png

1 - 20 of 68 Posts