The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
24,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sulphur, bless his soul, sent me the neatest "retirement present" this past week. Maybe it could be called an effect, maybe something else. But whatever category it could be wedged into, the one one it would certainly fit in is "cool".

It's a Bleeplabs Nebulophone ( The Nebulophone | Bleep Labs ). This is an Arduino-based synth, wth a ton of possibilities built in. Lotsa waveforms, LFO, arpeggiater, octave shift, glide, and many other treats. A ton of options from just 3 knobs and two push-buttons. What's neat is that it is essentially open source. So, if you have a regular Arduino, and the development software, you can connect the Nebulophone to the Arduino, the Arduino to your regular computer, and change the Nebulophone's capabilities. I had bought myself an Arduino Uno a few years back and hoped to get into it, but kept saying "Once I retire". Well, this gives me a reason to get into it.

So a public hats off to Sulphur for his kindness, and ability to know my softspot. Between him and Dave/Greco, it is an embarassment of riches.

·
Registered
24,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Good hunch. The kit was pleasingly easy to put together, although it helps to have a soldering iron with an appropriately slender tip (no soldering guns or thumb-width plumber's iron-tips allowed). I think, start to finish, it took under an hour. I didn't position the right-hand LED directly over the photocell, preferring to work it directly with my finger, such that one can do slow swells, rather than depend entirely on the LFO.

I also wired up the "probe" contact to the tip of a mini phone plug, instead of the large alligator clip it came with. It doesn't let me attach the probe to a single "key" like the stock build does, but I find the plastic chassis/cover of the phone plug easier and more comfortable to hold. Works every bit as well in all other respects.

·
Registered
4,619 Posts
+1 on @sulphur as a first class guy. And I have never met him. He simply did me a massive solid with a build I have yet to complete, which WILL happen, I promise. Just too much other stuff happening over the last year or so to focus on it.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Sulphur, bless his soul, sent me the neatest "retirement present" this past week. Maybe it could be called an effect, maybe something else. But whatever category it could be wedged into, the one one it would certainly fit in is "cool".

It's a Bleeplabs Nebulophone ( The Nebulophone | Bleep Labs ). This is an Arduino-based synth, wth a ton of possibilities built in. Lotsa waveforms, LFO, arpeggiater, octave shift, glide, and many other treats. A ton of options from just 3 knobs and two push-buttons. What's neat is that it is essentially open source. So, if you have a regular Arduino, and the development software, you can connect the Nebulophone to the Arduino, the Arduino to your regular computer, and change the Nebulophone's capabilities. I had bought myself an Arduino Uno a few years back and hoped to get into it, but kept saying "Once I retire". Well, this gives me a reason to get into it.

So a public hats off to Sulphur for his kindness, and ability to know my softspot. Between him and Dave/Greco, it is an embarassment of riches.
I can also attest to Sulphurs generosity!
A good man, indeed.....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts