The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saturday was spent in the "bass"ment. Started with replacing pickups on a P-Bass clone with some Dragonfire actives but while I was at it, it was a good time to replace the nut with a Graphtech. While the strings are off, might as well polish the frets and clean the keyboard too.

Back to the pickup swap, this of course needed a little woodwork to fit a 9V battery, the pots were bigger as well so out came the chisel and Dremel. While I am in there, might as well shield the pickup cavity with copper tape. Put it all back together and.....nothing. Damn. Take it apart and check all the connections, and figure out that the tip connection of the output jack is shorting against the shielding. Fix that up, test this time, put it back together. Lose a pickguard screw somewhere in the shop and manage to snap a D string tuning it up. 3:45 off to the music store. No 0.065 single strings in stock, decide on a string switch from D'Addario EXLs to GHS Boomers. Back home and rockin' by 5pm.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There might have been a few choice words uttered. Mostly when I snapped the string. Fortunately it was still early enough to get a replacement,

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They sound good, better than the stock passives, but as a beginner I don't really have the best skills to evaluate. I really did it for the hell of it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts