The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have some news about my cat Sassy but it's not good. Back in August our building was being sprayed by the pest control people and we were told because of the chemicals they'd be using that any pets would have to be taken out for at least four hours. I have a cat stroller and I called up a friend of mine who also has a stroller to help me take them out for awhile. My friend had my cat Cleo in the stroller and I had my cat Samson in the other stroller. My other cat Sassy was in a pet bag which was put on top of my stroller. About a half an hour into our walk, Sassy decided she didn't like being in a bag and she managed to push herself and the bag to the ground. My friend and I were both shocked and surprised that she'd do this and I immediately picked up the bag and put it on top of the stroller. For the rest of the walk I kept both hands on either side of the bag so she couldn't do that again.

I didn't realize at the time that she injured herself. For quite some time she seemed to be fine but towards the end of September I noticed she was walking slower and it seemed like she was almost in a daze. At first I thought it was because of the September heat wave we had but she stayed in the living room where the air conditioner was. Her condition was getting worse and Wednesday I took her to the Brimley/Lawrence animal clinic here in Scarborough to get her checked out. She had fluid in her stomach and as I said, her walk was slower and when she did walk, her back legs were kind of bowlegged. Her gums were white and instead of weighing 8 lbs as she usually does, she'd gone down to 5 lbs. She also had a pink tumor on her stomach. The doctor said they could run tests on her but it would cost $500.00 which is a little much for me. In the end he suggested that maybe I should have her put to sleep.

So I called the Kennedy/Eglinton Animal Hospital here in Scarborough earlier this evening and asked if they put cats and dogs to sleep and they said that they did. I took her her over and had them put Sassy to sleep. This wasn't an easy decision for me but I knew she was suffering and I didn't want it prolonged. She went quickly and without pain. Before he put her to sleep the vet was looking her over and seeing how emaciated she was and the tumor on her belly and with the fluid in her stomach he told me I was doing the right thing. She couldn't have gone on as her condition was worsening. It got to the point where she couldn't even jump up to the lowest part of the couch anymore which is only about a foot high. She was spending more and more of her time staying in the stroller in the hall. She'd come out occasionally to drink water and maybe have a few bites of cat food. Funny thing though, she would always have her Temptation treats. I'll miss giving her those every evening. I'm considering getting another cat but I still haven't made my mind up yet. Whether I will or not depends on what kind of cats I see online and what types of personalities they have.

I've attached two photos of Sassy. The first one is my favourite photo of her and the second was the last photo I took of her earlier this afternoon. She looks a little rough in the second photo not only because of her weight loss but also because she received a lion cut back in August and the fur was still growing back in. She lived to the ripe old age of nineteen which is above average for a Himalayan cat. Most Himalayans live to be 10 to 15 years of age. I'll miss her terribly. Sorry for the sad news.:(

Sassys14thBirthday by Ken McCarthy, on Flickr

SassysLastPhoto by Ken McCarthy, on Flickr

·
Registered
9,343 Posts
I am so sorry that you lost your beloved pet!

She looked very ill in the second picture.

You did the right thing.

RIP Sassy

·
Registered
913 Posts
So sorry or your loss. She was beautiful, surely loved you, and it must have been such a hard decision to let her go.

We lost our first cat in 2008. Her thyroid was on overdrive and we had her on meds for at least a year. I didn't have to put her down though, as I came home one day and found her in the basement. She was gone and that was sad enough. At the time, I didn't want another cat. And then one day in 2010, my wife called me at work to tell me about a stray on the porch that she just gave Tuna to. Needless to say, the stray stuck around and after a week of searching for an owner, we took her into the vet and welcomed her into our home. My son named her Lucy and that's her in my avatar. She is the most affectionate cat I've ever seen. And she is gorgeous. I think a period of grief and letting go is a good idea. And then when the time is right, let a new friend come into your life.

My kindest regards

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
you lost a member of your family. Being 4 legged or 2 or no legs at all does not matter. Sadness and emptiness is there :(
my condolences

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am so sorry that you lost your beloved pet!

She looked very ill in the second picture.

You did the right thing.

RIP Sassy
Yes I was surprised at the difference in the photos. Thanks very much Lola.

RIP and good on your courage. Condolences.
Thanks Keto. I couldn't let her suffer any longer.

My condolences friend. Our pets are our friends, and our family. Our favorite family members at that.
Very true. Thanks cboutiller.

So sorry or your loss. She was beautiful, surely loved you, and it must have been such a hard decision to let her go.

We lost our first cat in 2008. Her thyroid was on overdrive and we had her on meds for at least a year. I didn't have to put her down though, as I came home one day and found her in the basement. She was gone and that was sad enough. At the time, I didn't want another cat. And then one day in 2010, my wife called me at work to tell me about a stray on the porch that she just gave Tuna to. Needless to say, the stray stuck around and after a week of searching for an owner, we took her into the vet and welcomed her into our home. My son named her Lucy and that's her in my avatar. She is the most affectionate cat I've ever seen. And she is gorgeous. I think a period of grief and letting go is a good idea. And then when the time is right, let a new friend come into your life.

My kindest regards
Thanks StratCat. Lucy's a beautiful cat. I'm not in a hurry to get a new cat but I will be checking websites from time to time. My other two cats knew something was going on as I saw them giving Sassy some space. When I brought the stroller home that I took Sassy over to the clinic with, my cat Cleo was sniffing it. I guess she was wondering what happened to Sassy.

you lost a member of your family. Being 4 legged or 2 or no legs at all does not matter. Sadness and emptiness is there :(
my condolences
Thanks bigboki. It'll take a while for me to get over her. I had her for seven and a half years. I was hoping she'd make it to the age of 20 but I feel fortunate that she made it past 15. As I mentioned in the original post, most Himalayans live 10 to 15 years.

·
Premium Member
3,332 Posts
Oh, I’m so sorry to hear about Sassy Ken.

"Best mediocre guitarist in Calgary!"

·
Registered
9,343 Posts
My heart really goes out to you!

It is one of the toughest decisions that I personally have ever made!

I had the same situation with one of my dogs! I was the one that had to decide!

·
Registered
24,356 Posts
We only had our pet rabbit for 11 years, and it's been 3-1/2 since he's been gone, but I still I'm still reminded of him whenever I trim vegetables or peel apples (one of his favorites). If one has had a pet for 19 years, there must be that many more daily rituals that are strongly associated with the animal. With animals, as with people, the decision to say goodbye is tough, but I think ultimately easier than what happens afterwords. It's the mail addressed to the deceased, the sock you stumble onto at the bottom of the laundry hamper, the friendly questions from people who didn't already know, the anniversary of a shared event, the daily things that make you feel like you want to say hello when you know you've already said goodbye.

·
Administrator
15,982 Posts
Really sorry to hear this but it sounds like you made the right decision. It's never easy, looks like you gave her a good life full of love, and vice versa, can't ask for more than that.

·
Premium Member
9,704 Posts
beautiful cat. youre right though, 19 years is a pretty full life. the problem with tests, is they don't always lead to a workable solution. they often result in a response like "well, now that we *think* we know what the problem is, for another $2000 and lots of discomfort, she *might* get another 6-7months to live"...I don't see the point, esp for an animal that has surpassed its life expectancy already. and it might ironically be a selfish thing to do. no offense to anyone, its all a personal choice.

My malamute is skating on july ice...shes 15 (life expectancy 10-12)...but shes not giving up the ghost even though her body has deteriorated a lot. still gets excited about things every day and stays engaged with the family. That's going to make it hard when the day to make that decision comes along. itd be easier if she had that vacant look in her eyes that says "ok, I'm done". or like my wifes golden retreiver that simply stopped eating (a GR's true joy in life) when pancreatic cancer took hold. or, like my uncles bichon-mix this year, which just passed away in its sleep after a long bout of health issues.

·
Premium Member
3,026 Posts
Very sorry for your loss.

·
Registered
24,356 Posts
beautiful cat. youre right though, 19 years is a pretty full life. the problem with tests, is they don't always lead to a workable solution. they often result in a response like "well, now that we *think* we know what the problem is, for another $2000 and lots of discomfort, she *might* get another 6-7months to live"...I don't see the point, esp for an animal that has surpassed its life expectancy already. and it might ironically be a selfish thing to do. no offense to anyone, its all a personal choice.

My malamute is skating on july ice...shes 15 (life expectancy 10-12)...but shes not giving up the ghost even though her body has deteriorated a lot. still gets excited about things every day and stays engaged with the family. That's going to make it hard when the day to make that decision comes along. itd be easier if she had that vacant look in her eyes that says "ok, I'm done". or like my wifes golden retreiver that simply stopped eating (a GR's true joy in life) when pancreatic cancer took hold. or, like my uncles bichon-mix this year, which just passed away in its sleep after a long bout of health issues.
Thing about dogs - and a big part of the reason why we love them - is that they don't really have any sense of the future, or a future. There's no "What have I got to live for?", and no "I've lived a pretty full life. Better than most.". It's all about now, and if now is pretty much enough to motivate them, that's all they really care about. Like I say, that's why we love them.

·
Premium Member
9,704 Posts
Thing about dogs - and a big part of the reason why we love them - is that they don't really have any sense of the future, or a future. There's no "What have I got to live for?", and no "I've lived a pretty full life. Better than most.". It's all about now, and if now is pretty much enough to motivate them, that's all they really care about. Like I say, that's why we love them.
That's what Cesar Milan always says: "...they live in the now."
you can get philosophical about it...the way they have no real sense of time, yet can be very punctual in their routines. Time is kind of an abstract concept to learn. even as humans it means different things. we wish we had more of it, yet we find ways to "kill" some of it, usually every week. and it certainly seems more precious as time goes on and we have less of it remaining. and then, many ppl cant even imagine time going on without them as part of it.
I blather on.

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So sorry for your lost.
Thanks marcos. I didn't want to do this but I also couldn't bear to see her suffering either.

Sorry for your loss, RIP Sassy.
Thanks sulphur.

Oh, I’m so sorry to hear about Sassy Ken.

"Best mediocre guitarist in Calgary!"
Thanks bzrkrage. It was a tough decision.

My heart really goes out to you!

It is one of the toughest decisions that I personally have ever made!

I had the same situation with one of my dogs! I was the one that had to decide!
Thanks again Lola. Sorry to hear about your dog. It's never easy to lose a family member.

We only had our pet rabbit for 11 years, and it's been 3-1/2 since he's been gone, but I still I'm still reminded of him whenever I trim vegetables or peel apples (one of his favorites). If one has had a pet for 19 years, there must be that many more daily rituals that are strongly associated with the animal. With animals, as with people, the decision to say goodbye is tough, but I think ultimately easier than what happens afterwords. It's the mail addressed to the deceased, the sock you stumble onto at the bottom of the laundry hamper, the friendly questions from people who didn't already know, the anniversary of a shared event, the daily things that make you feel like you want to say hello when you know you've already said goodbye.
Sorry to hear about your rabbit Mark. I remember you mentioning him before and it's funny you mention a rabbit. The only other time in my life when I had such sadness for an animal was when I was around 11 years old and I had a rabbit named Barney. My parents and I were living in a nice house at the time with a backyard for Barney to hop around in but they decided to move to an apartment which meant (at that time anyway) we couldn't bring Barney with us. My parents thought I should be the one to take Barney to the man in the animal services truck. I remember carrying Barney in my arms with tears streaming from my eyes and barely being able to see anything and handing Barney to the man. I missed that rabbit for a bit but because I was a kid I got over it pretty quickly. Sassy gave me a lot of memories and also quite a few laughs and smiles.

Really sorry to hear this but it sounds like you made the right decision. It's never easy, looks like you gave her a good life full of love, and vice versa, can't ask for more than that.
Amen to that davetcan. I'll miss her terribly.

Thanks Diablo. If you're not doing so already make sure you're taking plenty of videos/photos of your Malamute. In the end that's all we'll have along with our own memories of our times with them. Sorry to hear about your uncles dog as well. It's not easy.

Very sorry for your loss.
Thanks Hamstrung. She was a great cat.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts