The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it better than Reverb or Ebay ?

Reverb has gone down hill and Ebay is bland .

Is it open to buyers from the US .

·
Monster Replier
'97 Strat Plus, '22 LP Studio
5,265 Posts
Kijiji is more a local buy and sell, like the newspaper classifieds use to be.

Think Craigs List.

..... or is that Leo's List.

·
Registered
779 Posts
They don't use Kijiji in the states. It's all Craigslist down there. If you want to open up to an American audience you can use TheGearPage to list your stuff as well. Kijiji, here, Craigslist, Marketplace and TGP all act like a classifieds section where there are no fees but buyer/seller beware.

·
Registered
2016 Gibson Les Paul Special LTD.... 2019 Gibson Les Paul Traditional Tobacco
1,499 Posts
Ive made alot of quick sales posting Gibsons over at MLP. Before i got banned. Cant argue with the good 'ole boys.
I havent sold anything here but pedals, my guitars dont move after 2 weeks i pull the ad. Ive purchased some nice stuff here and have never been given a review which may be the reason or wrong time to post. Higher end guitars move quicker here than others.

·
Premium Member
151 Posts
Reverb is identical to kijiji apart from the fact that you can buy directly thru the Reverb site and I guess less people check/sell on Kijiji than Reverb. Prices are identical, people are the same on the North Pole as they are on the South, scammers and great deals can be found any where.

I just reach out to the seller directly on Reverb via the messaging app and then do the deal off Reverb. No fees or any other bs… but yes unless they are relatively close to me, there’s risk of scam when shipping. Just like there is on CL/FB/Kijiji/Forums.

Also, Reverb will never come after you for fees as buyer/seller if the sale/purchase is not processed thru their system. Just like they offer no protection to buyers/sellers for local pickups/off site payments.

·
Registered
18,822 Posts
I use Kijiji exclusively when selling and almost exclusively when buying.

Reactions: Acoustic Tom

·
Registered
1988 Ovation Elite 1758, 2009 Gibson Flying V Faded Cherry, Edwards Esquire, Marshall DSL 40 CR
698 Posts
I couldn't use Kijiji in the states. It is a "local buyers only" thing similar to what craigslist was. You would have a similar experience with marketplace, which is a more straightforward comparison. Reverb and Ebay are primarily online/shipping sites to me and a resource to check guitar value from sold listings.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Reverb is identical to kijiji apart from the fact that you can buy directly thru the Reverb site and I guess less people check/sell on Kijiji than Reverb. Prices are identical, people are the same on the North Pole as they are on the South, scammers and great deals can be found any where.

I just reach out to the seller directly on Reverb via the messaging app and then do the deal off Reverb. No fees or any other bs… but yes unless they are relatively close to me, there’s risk of scam when shipping. Just like there is on CL/FB/Kijiji/Forums.

Also, Reverb will never come after you for fees as buyer/seller if the sale/purchase is not processed thru their system. Just like they offer no protection to buyers/sellers for local pickups/off site payments.
The buyer pool on Reverb is bigger but the prices definitely are not the same as the local options. Reverb prices are often much higher because sellers build the extra fees and shipping into their asking prices. Lots of sellers are stores that are unwilling to take offers even though they have the option on their listings and you sometimes pay tax. I've only ever purchased one thing off of Reverb and that was because I had a good coupon that they emailed me.

Reverb also frowns upon buying items listed there off site. I remember reading that if they suspect a seller does it they can look at message histories and restrict or ban their accounts. I think completing a transaction this way is mostly a risk for the seller.

·
Premium Member
151 Posts
The buyer pool on Reverb is bigger but the prices definitely are not the same as the local options. Reverb prices are often much higher because sellers build the extra fees and shipping into their asking prices. Lots of sellers are stores that are unwilling to take offers even though they have the option on their listings and you sometimes pay tax. I've only ever purchased one thing off of Reverb and that was because I had a good coupon that they emailed me.

Reverb also frowns upon buying items listed there off site. I remember reading that if they suspect a seller does it they can look at message histories and restrict or ban their accounts. I think completing a transaction this way is mostly a risk for the seller.
The last thing you said about Reverb bans is not true. They won’t come after the seller or buyer for fees either if the transaction didn’t close thru their system. Reverb is evaluated based on not just bottom line but based on number of active users on the platform. They try to intimidate the people who don’t understand that but they do not and will not do sh*t if you transact off Reverb. They won’t even allow bad reviews on their platform haha… just look at the biggest scammers on their (repeat offenders), 0 bad reviews because Reverb blocks them and deals with complaints on a one off basis. That’s how badly Reverb wants more sellers and buyers on their platform. I have done, I’m not joking you, maybe a hundred transactions as buyer and seller on that place and didn’t pay a dollar of fees and never will. Yes, once in a while someone just buys my item directly thru the system and I pay the fee or vice versa, if I really need an item and the seller is not negotiating, Ill buy the item directly thru Reverb. But the other 90% off the time, I’m closing the deal off Reverb. They need sellers, especially with big ticket items, to list their items on Reverb to attract window shoppers. In fact, Reverb advertises their site on places like Kijiji by literally showing their users’ ads on Kijiji as pop ups/banners… you are Reverb’s product whether you pay fees or not, always remember that).

The final prices are the same. Yes, the asking Reverb prices tend to be higher because sellers price in shipping, return risk, fees, etc (AND Reverb adds automatically an extra 5% to the price for their exchange rate fees), but prices on Reverb are almost always negotiable… heavily negotiable if you can do the deal directly with the seller. Also people on Kijiji most of the time use Reverb to price their stuff.

Never make offers thru the Reverb auction system, it attracts attention to the ad, never add the item to your “cart” either for the same reason. Just send the seller a message thru Reverb, they won’t do anything. For example:

“hey saw your ad for a 1957 tweed Pro at 7k usd if we do the deal off Reverb and I pick it up locally will you take $3.5k cash today? Give me a call at #”…

… you’d be surprised how many times they say yes or knock off a massive amount. If you want to be on the safe side, just send your phone number and discuss details over the phone with seller.

·
Registered
779 Posts
If you find sellers who are willing to work with you on an off-site sale initiated through chats that are monitored by Reverb that's awesome but it is something they look out for.

#9 on Reverb's Community Rules for sellers:

No sales may be carried out via private message as a means to avoid Reverb's sales fee or applicable taxes. Any other efforts to move sales initiated on Reverb off-site to avoid fees is strictly prohibited and may result in account suspension or termination. Any transaction initiated on the Site, but consummated off-site will not be subject to any of Reverb's policies or protections. Reverb reserves the right to charge its fee for any transaction initiated on the Site and completed off-site. Reverb further reserves the right to charge a selling fee upon finding any express intent to move a transaction off-site. You waive any and all claims against Reverb for any fees listed in this section.

·
Premium Member
151 Posts
The last thing you said about Reverb bans is not true. They won’t come after the seller or buyer for fees either if the transaction didn’t close thru their system. Reverb is evaluated based on not just bottom line but based on number of active users on the platform. They try to intimidate the people who don’t understand that but they do not and will not do sh*t if you transact off Reverb. They won’t even allow bad reviews on their platform haha… just look at the biggest scammers on their (repeat offenders), 0 bad reviews because Reverb blocks them and deals with complaints on a one off basis. That’s how badly Reverb wants more sellers and buyers on their platform. I have done, I’m not joking you, maybe a hundred transactions as buyer and seller on that place and didn’t pay a dollar of fees and never will. Yes, once in a while someone just buys my item directly thru the system and I pay the fee or vice versa, if I really need an item and the seller is not negotiating, Ill buy the item directly thru Reverb. But the other 90% off the time, I’m closing the deal off Reverb. They need sellers, especially with big ticket items, to list their items on Reverb to attract window shoppers. In fact, Reverb advertises their site on places like Kijiji by literally showing their users’ ads on Kijiji as pop ups/banners… you are Reverb’s product whether you pay fees or not, always remember that).

The final prices are the same. Yes, the asking Reverb prices tend to be higher because sellers price in shipping, return risk, fees, etc (AND Reverb adds automatically an extra 5% to the price for their exchange rate fees), but prices on Reverb are almost always negotiable… heavily negotiable if you can do the deal directly with the seller. Also people on Kijiji most of the time use Reverb to price their stuff.

Never make offers thru the Reverb auction system, it attracts attention to the ad, never add the item to your “cart” either for the same reason. Just send the seller a message thru Reverb, they won’t do anything. For example:

“hey saw your ad for a 1957 tweed Pro at 7k usd if we do the deal off Reverb and I pick it up locally will you take $3.5k cash today? Give me a call at #”…

… you’d be surprised how many times they say yes or knock off a massive amount. If you want to be on the safe side, just send your phone number and discuss details over the phone with seller.
If you find sellers who are willing to work with you on an off-site sale initiated through chats that are monitored by Reverb that's awesome but it is something they look out for.

#9 on Reverb's Community Rules for sellers:

No sales may be carried out via private message as a means to avoid Reverb's sales fee or applicable taxes. Any other efforts to move sales initiated on Reverb off-site to avoid fees is strictly prohibited and may result in account suspension or termination. Any transaction initiated on the Site, but consummated off-site will not be subject to any of Reverb's policies or protections. Reverb reserves the right to charge its fee for any transaction initiated on the Site and completed off-site. Reverb further reserves the right to charge a selling fee upon finding any express intent to move a transaction off-site. You waive any and all claims against Reverb for any fees listed in this section.
Yes, I know, that is the intimidation I was referring to. They won’t do anything. Full stop. Whether it’s a $1000 item or a $50000 item. Believe it or not, people are so easily intimidated and the masses are so compliant that if a seller selects “local pickup only” on their ad and delists their item… Reverb still automatically asks them before removing the ad:

“did you sell this item thru Reverb?” (EVEN IF YOU DID CASH IN PERSON haha)

Answer options:

Yes (charge me fees) or No (no fees).

There’s even a warning that comes up if you click yes, explaining that you are consenting to fees being charged.

If the absolute bot of a seller, selects “Yes, I did”, Reverb automatically charges them for the fees. You’d be surprised to find out how many bots there are, that select “Yes, charge me fees”… that’s who they count on for fees. They also count on buyers that want the warm blanket of Reverb protection to do most of the work of getting them fees by buying thru the system.

Financially, here’s why it makes 0 sense to ban sellers or chase them for fees. For example, when I list a $40,000 precbs strat on Reverb, I attract thousands of people to the platform. That brings a lot more, recurring, value to Reverb than banning me (lol) for evading $500 of fees. All they need is just one more active user gained by my ad attracting that new user to the site and the Reverb company’s valuation gains an extra $1,000-$2,000.

·
Registered
143 Posts
kijiji is local thing, no protection if you send money and don't receive item.

reverb can get fucked for charging HST on a resell item. never gonna use it out of principle. canadapost can go and get fucked too, for charging 10$ handling fee for customs/duty processing.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
I use KiJiJi exclusively.
There's simply no way I'm going to buy without trying in a private sale so it has to be local.
From an established retailer with a good reputation maybe but never in a private sale.
IMO that's a recipe for disaster.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
With a vpn you could fake your listings but you may have trouble getting people to send you money to the usa for something listed locally.
I wouldn't sell anything, I would only be a buyer .

1 - 20 of 21 Posts