Votes: 12 75.0%
  • Indifferent

Votes: 4 25.0%
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is everyone's (or anyone's) opinion on the issue of having frets on their necks that are covered in lacquer. Good? Bad? Indifferent? Never thought about it?

·
Registered
788 Posts
maple fretboards are usualy coated with finish and then they just scrape off the top of the frets. Sometimes as you wear down the frets the finish chips off the fret sides and sometimes taking some off the fretboard.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
My maple neck tele was like that, solved by having a fret job done at the 12th fret which was simply amazing, they do nice work.

·
Premium Member
16,658 Posts
My Tele has a few spots where the finish has come off, but I don't notice it when I play.

Surely any finish on the surface of the frets is gone pretty quick.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have a Strat with most of the finish still intact on the frets - it was played but a few times.

I'm in the process of installing new pickups, pots, caps, etc. It's going to see plenty of playing time soon! :rockon2:

·
Premium Member
16,658 Posts
Welcome Axe,

Good to see you here. I suspect Archer is lurking about as well. Post a review of his pickups when you're ready.

Nothing's better than a strat to use as a test bed in my opinion.:food-smiley-004:

·
Registered
546 Posts
He Axepilot. Welcome to Canadia. I'm new here also. It seems like a nice place.

JDB should be up tomorrow.

I will continue here because folks here haven't called me names yet:smile: and the place is cool.

Glad you made it!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks Guys and Girls

I know there has been discussion about finish on the frets before and there was a thread from someone about a sliver of something getting in his finger from the frets (probably glue) so I was wondering what everyone thought about it. My Rickie has finish all over the frets and its not a problem, but I do like the feel of a well polished fret with nothing in between it and me. I'll use your feedback and keep it in mind as I make my necks. It will add to the quality.
Thanks again.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I personally dont think a finish will make the playablity or anything any different. I have played a few with a finish, and they sounded great. I havent run into any problems or heard of any problems with a finish on the frets.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts