The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
18,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
+ the most playable guitar you can find=Perfect match of feel and sound?

Not necessarily the Helix but a top modeler and a guitar with your favourite specs, would that not solve all the tone aspects and solve any future G.A.S. attacks?

NOTE: Acoustics excluded, of course.

·
Registered
18,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Reactions: Blind Dog

·
Registered
4,746 Posts
Even if they got 100% perfect with the modeling, part of G.A.S. is the looks and being actually able to touch and appreciate the thing as a physical object.
Like comparing flipping through an old black and white photo album to clicking through a thumb drive full of perfect digital copies of the same pics.

·
Premium Member
11,635 Posts
I can see the point of modelers for gigging musicians, but if you're an at-home wanker, why take a simulation over the real thing?

upload_2017-6-20_1-38-27.jpeg

·
Premium Member
10,875 Posts
A few things for me.
Modelers do a crappy job of acoustic tones or emulating other instruments, to my ears.
I'm not convinced of their ability to replicate a mic in front of a cab either.
I very much enjoy the tactile experience of playing different instruments.
What does one do when the power goes out? (Keep your mind out of the gutter, please.)

So I'm a Luddite, big deal.

·
Registered
18,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What does one do when the power goes out?
I very much enjoy the tactile experience of playing different instruments. I think that is something a lot would miss.

What does one do when the power goes out? However, the same would hold true for an amp unless it is battery powered like me Traynor TVM.

·
Premium Member
10,875 Posts
What does one do when the power goes out? However, the same would hold true for an amp unless it is battery powered like me Traynor TVM.
But it doesn't hold true of acoustics, which was more to my point. If all you have is electronic stuff...

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
I'm with Mooh,I like the difference in feel , different guitars bring out different playing.
I play/feel different with my strat vs my LP or ASAT or 535 for example
A modeler (and I have one) is/can be a useful tool,but for jamming with other people you still need at least a powered speaker,so basically you still need an amp of some sort.
I can also haul my amp out on the deck and annoy/serenade the cows/neighbours,

·
Registered
18,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
But it doesn't hold true of acoustics, which was more to my point. If all you have is electronic stuff...
Yes, you are right. I should have been more specific in my OP.

·
Premium Member
11,635 Posts
A few things for me.
Modelers do a crappy job of acoustic tones or emulating other instruments, to my ears.
I'm not convinced of their ability to replicate a mic in front of a cab either.
What does one do when the power goes out? (Keep your mind out of the gutter, please.)
We were having an acoustic jam at my house one night when the power went out right around midnight. What would have been an evening-ender if were playing electric just became a short break while I dug out the candles. The only thing that really changed was no more bass player. The next couple of hours were epic - one of the best acoustic jams I ever had. I think some of it was the vibe of us still being able to do it (i.e. 'roughing it' LOL) while the rest was jamming to the light of a couple dozen candles.

Me, too. I'm comfortable in these shoes. "The fewer the moving parts, the less there is go go wrong."

·
Registered
12,248 Posts
i don't think gas is caused by a search for tone. i think it is caused by a hoarding obsession. otherwise, gas would end when you found the right combination of components in your signal chain.
this would also eliminate statements like "oh man, i used to play this great guitar but i sold it to fund another purchase." instead the post would read "that guitar was nice, but couldn't produce the tone/look/feel i was trying to achieve.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts