The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here I am, a basement guitarist. I play mostly solo and the occaisional jam sesh with some buddies. Saying that, I am really fighting off some GAS which is being aggravated by a lack of guitar purchase opportunities here in Canada.

I have been burnt by Ebay purchases in the past, let down by online quitar stores as they dont ship to Canada or in Canada dont always ship to Quebec.

For the past 2 months I have been trying to get my hands on a Line 6 Variax 300. Cant I get one.... yes, but I have to pay through the nose for it usually about x2 compared to the US distributors. Can I buy one from the US, maybe some dont ship to Canada, or even just dont ship to Quebec.

I could pick up the Variax 300 in the states for around $300, but here its nearer $600. I see a guitar for $129 (special) in the states and then see it here on a massive retailers website for $300.

My GAS is killing me........ there must be something that Canadian retailers can do to make it easisr for us strummers/shredders/finger pickers/classical players can do to get a fair crack at getting the gear we want without having to chop off our chord hand and pedal stomping foot to get it.

Thoughts would be appreciated.:sport-smiley-002:

·
Premium Member
2,973 Posts
......And here I thought Montreal was some mecca of guitar shops compared to the desert over here..........

·
Premium Member
1,416 Posts
I think your best bet would be to find your local distributor for Line 6 (even better if there are multiple ones competing). Let them know your situation and thoughts about pricing, while understanding that they are a business and need to make cash.

See if they can order one in on the strong dollar for you and meet you somewhere in the middle on price. This is a conversation that works much better face to face. A smart store will see this as establishing a positive relationship with a future customer, while still being able to make profit on the deal.

I deal with a lot of stores in Toronto that don't change their displayed pricing with dollar fluctuations, and don't like guys that are constantly haggling for the sake of haggling, but who will adjust prices when you come in with a reasonable argument for why a price should be lower. I'm sure there are guys in Montreal that would do the same.

G

·
Road trip!

Just make a run to the border. Head down to Burlington, VT. That's like 2-3 hours from you and an AWESOME drive through the Green Mountains.

·
Registered
27 Posts
......And here I thought Montreal was some mecca of guitar shops compared to the desert over here..........
It isn't. When I bought my Jackson SLATQH, I had to buy it from Long and McQuade (in Ottawa, in fact, but that's because that's the closest L&M to Montreal), because very few stores here were carrying Jacksons at all at that time, and at the one I generally go to (and I won't mention its name), the salesman started by telling me the model doesn't exist. I convinced him to pull out the catalog, and *showed* him the guitar in the catalog, and he proceeded to tell me simply "oh that's *expensive*!" "HOW expensive?" was my reply. Ultimately, L&M were happy to sell me the guitar in exchange for a postal money order and some emails (and a LONG wait, but I'm over that now!)

GTFPDQ, you might do yourself a favour by heading out to Ottawa and/or Toronto to find your Variax. I'm sure that you can email the bigger stores to get a sense of whether or not they'll be able to help you.

I hope that helps ...

·
Registered
944 Posts
Hi,

I've never had difficulty dealing with Quebec (post going either way), what's the issue there?

Keep an eye on guitarman0_9 on Ebay. He's in Alberta and is an honest fellow :smile:

Got my Strat copy off him and he even tossed in shipping.

Cheers!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cheers for the replies. I am slowly going through the US stores by phone to see if they ship to Canada you have to ask them if they ship to Quebec specifically as some of them dont.

I am looking for a Variax 300. So far in the US can go from $260 to $600 ($600 inc POD). So far in Montreal its over $600 minimum. But I will hunt one down and bag it for the basement.

Again cheers for the replies Slàinte mhath!

·
Registered
95 Posts
Your doing the right thing phoning them, even though they say no shipping to Canada. Make sure you ask to speak with a sales agent though, not the first person who picks up the phone.

I know for sure one company that will do it but I reluctantly recomend them to you. They have made me wait too too long for the product. A Boss GT 8 whick took 3 months to get to me, A Nashville Power Tele which took 2 months to get to me all were suposed to be in stock but obviosly were not. For me not a big deal, for you maybe a big deal.

If your interested pm me but I warned you.

EDIT: never mind the Variax 300 is not advertised on their site but they do have a 700 for near the same price the locals quoted you for the 300.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts