The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
one morning i stumbled out of the crackhouse on my way to work and found this lying on the garbage pile by the road. it was soaked and missing the bridge. dont these fools realize that a classic like this is going for upwards of $7.00 these days? idiots!
i did a little messing around with it today and its now in playing form once again.

i cant put it down. the craftsmanship- the attention to detail- the timeless beauty.

you can tell a lot of love and attention went into this one- each side dot marker is hand applied- some half blind little fellow carefully painted each one with a brush! the whole axe just oozes quality!

and the fretwork is exquisite- no two frets are the same, like a snowflake, each are a different shape and size, and are installed at differing angles! you can tell that no machine built this!
and theres no tone robbing glue underneath that pickgaurd- its locked firmly in place with 5 screws, because what true professional wants his pickgaurd to fall off mid performance?
man- this is truly a great instrument.

a true classic folks- it sounds incredible- just listen
http://media.putfile.com/ole-nippy

for me, obviously, the quest is over, i have found the guitar of my dreams.

·
Registered
15,219 Posts
Good one!

I checked out your audio link--and for that kind of stuff the guitar works for me.

And you can't beat the price!

L

·
0 Posts
That's pretty cool.
Here's a garbage find that I came upon last spring.
Homemade with a baseball bat neck. Strings are 3/8"
high. Intoned for the lower 3 frets only. Makes for a
nice slide. I'd like to convert this into a resonator.
Anyone here have plans or pic's of one opened up?

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
fraser...I see Nagoya on the label...and thats a good thing `cause thats an area where many excellent guitars were made in the 50s and 60s. I own several Sadao Yairi classicals he made from there and all are exceptional. Recently saw an obscure makers classical on the Japanese web, had no idea who the builder was...even my wife could not read the kanji...but I saw hand made and Nagoya on the label, so I bid 10 yen more than the first guy...and ended up winning the guitar for 21 yen...considering the exchange rate is about 110 yen to a Loony now, it works out to pennies, and it has at leats a solid top and may be all solid...not sure, but I play it a lot and love it.
Any numbers inside the guitar like where the neck meets the body, or anything that looks like a serial number on the label? I don`t see the single dot on center of the bridge which conceals a screw that holds down the bridge like the 50s and 60s Yamaha Dynamics have, as well as other makers from that era. Looks like a nice one you have.

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
hi sneakypete-
yup the only number is the 121 on the nagoya sticker, there was no bridge on it when i found it, and no screw or anything there- i was all through it with a mirror, and theres nothing other than the sticker- but when i saw the sticker i knew that it came from a good factory
the footprint and a bit of glue was on the top from the original bridge, and it was certainly just a glue on-
although obviously a student model, and my initial post was kinda tongue in cheek, i knew when i found it that it wasnt garbage, and im really into small acoustic guitars. the tuners are original i believe, i had to cut a new nut for it when i put it together, and i dont think its gone out of tune since the day i made this thread.
it is currently my bathroom guitar, i love the boxy little sound it makes, and is really fun to play. certainly its very solid, well made, although earlier japanese, or a very cheap model, as the fretwork is nasty- some of the frets are at crazy angles lol.
it does have a nice lacquer finish, no thick poly- and the top is a 2 peice laminate.
ill tell ya, ive got a bunch of acoustics, 6 or 7 sitting around staring at me, another pile of them in cases, this one gets picked up and used more than any-
and zdogma- yes it sounds ok in that clip, although i made no effort to record it properly- it sounds much better in reality.
nobody comes over and says wow what a nice piece! but it sure has a home here with me.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
fraser...I see Nagoya on the label...and thats a good thing `cause thats an area where many excellent guitars were made in the 50s and 60s. I own several Sadao Yairi classicals he made from there and all are exceptional. Recently saw an obscure makers classical on the Japanese web, had no idea who the builder was...even my wife could not read the kanji...but I saw hand made and Nagoya on the label, so I bid 10 yen more than the first guy...and ended up winning the guitar for 21 yen...considering the exchange rate is about 110 yen to a Loony now, it works out to pennies, and it has at leats a solid top and may be all solid...not sure, but I play it a lot and love it.
Any numbers inside the guitar like where the neck meets the body, or anything that looks like a serial number on the label? I don`t see the single dot on center of the bridge which conceals a screw that holds down the bridge like the 50s and 60s Yamaha Dynamics have, as well as other makers from that era. Looks like a nice one you have.
No such luck here in Korea, that's for sure.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
OK...I was posting at the same time you were I guess.
whatever it is, I`m sure it`s better off with you than in the dumpster. good find. I love bringing those old ones back to life...I swear some of my 40+ year old Yamaha Dynamics looked like they hadn`t been cleaned in that long...great fun finding ...though not literally like you did...and resurrecting them. I probably have as much fun cleaning and restoring them as I do playing them.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
been getting some guitars ready to put up on the web over here...just too many to bring home...so I took some new pics of old guitars...couple of Dynamics...

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
those are beautiful sneakypete- and look very clean:smile:
will be putting new strings on mine soon, and when i do ill give it another look inside and see if there are any more numbers, in case i missed something-will let yu know if i see anything.
i hope i have some free cash soon, youve got awesome stuff

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
It's the story of my life, really, guitars recovered from garbage cans.

When I was 20-ish, my sister found a steel string acoustic in a dumpster, somewhere in Waterloo (or maybe Kitchener, I don't know, what's the difference anyway?).

The neck was massively bowed, and there was a "professional" body repair (using a big sticker to patch a body hole is exactly how the pro's do it, right?).

Otherwise, it was mint! And with several of the high end features you found on the crackhouse guitar. The fret markers went a step beyond yours though, actually shifted to alternate frets to enable exotic tunings like E# G# A# Bb E C and mixadixaloquian mode scales.

Luckily, she had the foresight to rescue this great classic axe and take it to a tech for a $40 re-string and neck adjustment. It was a lovely Christmas present to recieve, and I just love the high action, and the way the intonation shifts around in a quasi-musical way on each fret. That big sticker patch adds a lot to the resonance too. What a beaut!

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
thats a great story greg- im really into restoring crappy old stuff- just took the clamps of my latest and will be showing it off in a few days-
also found another classical in the garbage recently- the label is messed up- all i can see is "made in romania" somebody put a big hole in the back, otherwise it looks real nice- was thinking of bolting this stainless steel saucer i got at the dollar store over the hole lol. but thats a later project.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
no basements ot attics in Japnese houses so twice a year folks were allowed to throw out the big stuff, just place it on the curb with regular trash...so all the expat teachers would go " shopping " on thse two nights and come to work next day to compare what we`d found. One guy found an acoustic and I still have the pair of Pioneer speakers that I spray painted black...you name it, somebody found it. `course now the gov`t here realized they could make money so people have to pay to have big stuff picked up by the city and you have to make an appointment and buy a sticker to place on the items. Bastards.

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
around here its pretty common to just be walking along and see were somebody moved and left all theyre stuff- i know guys that collect scrap, and they make good money scrounging - i see things like ghetto blasters n stereos and stuff a lot- computers, lol- i saw a nice pc tower on the street once, as im grabbing it, a lady calls out the window-"it doesnt work, just so you know" i said ok thnks i just want the box- plug it in at home, reformat it, works fine- 2.2 ghz machine lol- i sell it for 150$, and as i did all the support, i believe the guy who bought it got a deal. sold another i scrounged from the trash recently for $100- you dont find lots of guitars, but the computer garbage here could buy a lot of guitars.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts