The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
Here is a noob question for you guys. I have a cheap RGX 121 from Yamaha. It is worth next to nothing but plays well, surprisingly well as a matter of fact. The frets are done or at least not very healthy.

On Kijiji I sometimes see Squier neck or Fender MIM that goes for only few dollars. Would a neck like this be a simple "plug and play" solution? I am looking for an inexpensive solution.

Thanks for your inputs!

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Older RGX guitars were 24 3/4" scale so a 25 1/2" scale Squier or similar neck won't work on those... not sure if that changed for newer generations of RGX.

·
Registered
18,585 Posts
If you really like the guitar, a refret is the best solution but you may want to look at a new guitar when you compare the cost. Patience will find you a nice guitar for not a lot of money.

·
Premium Member
6,081 Posts
Older RGX guitars were 24 3/4" scale so a 25 1/2" scale Squier or similar neck won't work on those... not sure if that changed for newer generations of RGX.
I'm pretty sure my 2001 121s is a 25.5 scale. If you like the guitar, I'd do a refret on it. You could even try to refret it yourself for much cheaper. Worst case scenario you're back to where you are now. My RGX 121s has had no issues at all in 15 years of neglect.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey, thanks for all the replies!

I will check the scale out tonight but I am pretty sure it is a 25.5". I do not want to pay 300$ to refret it. It is not worth it nor the pain to do it myself.

This is not my main guitar - it is number 3, I have a nice LTD H-1001 FM as my number one. I use the RGX for stuff tuned half a tone below and have .11 gauge on it. It is cheap but it gives me a good felling when I play it.

Lets assume it is in fact a 25.5" scale. Would most 25.5" scale 4 screws bolted neck be a direct fit in the neck pocket and how about height?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
6,081 Posts
Hey, thanks for all the replies!

I will check the scale out tonight but I am pretty sure it is a 25.5". I do not want to pay 300$ to refret it. It is not worth it nor the pain to do it myself.

This is not my main guitar - it is number 3, I have a nice LTD H-1001 FM as my number one. I use the RGX for stuff tuned half a tone below and have .11 gauge on it. It is cheap but it gives me a good felling when I play it.

Lets assume it is in fact a 25.5" scale. Would most 25.5" scale 4 screws bolted neck be a direct fit in the neck pocket and how about height?

Thanks!
Depends on the dimensions of the pocket. A strat or Tele neck might fit, or might not.

How many frets are bad? It may get away with only a partial refret or an extensive dressing.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
To know if a neck will fit:
The important things are the measurements. Measure from the front edge (bridge side) of the nut to the 12th fret... the piece of metal on the fretboard not the middle of the wood.
Then measure from the 12th fret to the middle of the bridge.

These 2 measurements must be IDENTICAL. If they are not remeasure, because you've done it incorrectly.

To know if a neck will intonate on your guitar, it must measure the exact same as your original neck, otherwise it will not intonate.

You can take a ruler to a pawn shop, measure the neck you wish to swap, and have a good idea if it will intonate.
Fit and finish will be a matter of woodworking.

Be aware of 24 fret fretboards, the fretboard extensions to accomodate the 2 extra frets can interfere with the neck pickup, this is why the neck pickup is moved towards the bridge slightly to accommodate the fretboard.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks a lot Dj for the information.
Is it not great to have forum like this to exchange information? I mean, what did we do 20 years ago?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I put the search on the ice for a moment.
I have completely stripped the guitar, sanded it and I am currently redoing a new finish. A first for me.
So far, it is looking good enough, I am surprised. The finish is Wipe-On Poly. I am half way done with Wipe-On Poly.
I am taking pictures of every steps since I began and I will show them when done. It might help other noobies like me with ugly guitars and no special tools or not... Lol

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi cboutilier,
It is a lot of fun doing this. Very relaxing. I hope my guitar will look good enough. I got nothing to lose, is was very ugly from the star.
Now it is taking shape, I am worrying I might not be able to put the electronic back in accordingly...

This weekend I will post some progress pictures I promess.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Anybody can tell me how to insert pictures from my computer?
I want to show what I have done to my guitar.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
18,096 Posts

Thanks.
You will either have to use a host (e.g., photobucket) and link your pics from there or you will have to become a "gold" (IIRC ~$18.00/year) member of the forum.

OR

You can also me a PM and I will send you my email address and you can send me the pics as attachments and I will then post them for you.

L

·
0 Posts
As the others mentioned, you need photobucket, flickr etc, to host from.
'click' the IMG address, it'll automatically copy.
If it doesn't, highlight/right click 'copy'
Paste that into the thread.

The other option is to add it using the little 'mountain pic' icon.
'highlight/copy' the address of the pic and insert that into the 'image' prompt.

·
Premium Member
18,096 Posts

Thanks.
You will either have to use a host (e.g., photobucket) and link your pics from there or you will have to become a "gold" (IIRC ~$18.00/year) member of the forum.

OR

You can also me a PM and I will send you my email address and you can send me the pics as attachments and I will then post them for you.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts