The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey I just joined a couple days ago and this seems like a really cool forum for canadien guitarists I am only 15 and have only been playing seriously for about a year and a half but I really have a passion for the guitar and practice everyday.

I woud really like to play music for a living but the music business is pretty hard to get into.

Anyway anybody have any advice for a young musician like me?

·
Registered
944 Posts
Hi, welcome aboard! :wave:

Anyway anybody have any advice for a young musician like me?
Don't let yourself get discouraged. Your relationship between you and your guitar is your own affair. Give the neighbors/parents earplugs :wink:

Cheers!

·
Premium Member
17,446 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Don't be shy about posting and starting threads. There are lots of guitar/music enthusiasts here to help you, answer questions and provide comments.

Are you thinking of getting a formal education in music (i.e., university)?

Do you have any friends/relatives in the music business? They might have some words of wisdom/advice to help you.

You might want to consider starting a specific thread in this forum asking for the opinions of others (in response to your questions) who are presently employed (full or part-time) in the music business.

I agree with Geek...don't get discouraged.

Follow your passion and go for it.

Dave

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

I think the music business isn't so much about what you know, but who you know. Cuz I've seen lots of really good musicians barely getting by playing in bars everynight.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks to everybody who posted and gave me advice I really appreciate it.

And to reply to greco I was thinking of maybe going to university but I am not really into classical guitar but maybe jazz and I was also thinking about learning how to build guitars and other instruments.

And lastly I sadly don't know anybody in the music business maybe ill meet someone on the forum i've seen alot of people from ottawa on the forum.

·
Premium Member
17,446 Posts
I hear that the Jazz program at York University, Toronto has a good reputation. Someone I know of in another forum is starting it this year (for guitar). I could try and get a link to him if you want to ask him a few questions.

The York website might also be worth a visit. You have a few years before applying...but reading about the program might be fun.

Hope you find someone in Ottawa to talk to about the music business.

Do you know "The Fully Down" ...I met the bass player, Alex, at a social event. He might also be someone to contact. They are signed to a label and have done some big tours.

Dave

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks but I don't think you'll need to bother your friend I still got a few years of school before university and I might change my mind but ill probly check out the website and do you know what kind of education you need to be able to take up music in university?

Because the music program for my grade got dropped this year and the only way to get music is if you join this music concentration thing but they don't have guitar its pretty much an orchestra they have bass but thats not really the same.

Anyway I haven't herd of the fully down but it would be cool to talk to someone who got signed and I think I am ganna my band about this site cuz only been here for a couple days and I am already getting connections :p .

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
if you're really serious about the music business I suggest:
1. spend as much time as possible with musicians, around musicians, listening to musicians, talking to musicians
2. Do anything at all to acomplish #1, help move gear, learn about sound and lighting systems, volunteer your car, your time whatever
3. Have a favourite style or type of music, but be able and willing to play anything, anytime anywhere
4. Learn to play more than one instrument
5. Learn to read basic melody lines, tab, chord charts
6. Play, play ,play.
7. Don't get an attitude: no matter how good you get there will always be someone better and worse than you, so be neither envious nor egotistical

and, by the way, WELCOME!!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts