Now what?

Any good lessons/sites to check out.
I don't even know how to tune the thing yet,
:D

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah.I like the sound of them,had one in the back of my mind for a while ,now here it is.
Haven't even looked around yet ... @Mooh plays one IIRC .
This one is just a little Fender, entry level, hardshell case , strap, and a Seiko tuner....for free .
Not a scratch on it ,just needs a little wipe down,check for loose screws et al.
I'll get at that later tonight.
Should be fun to mess around with for a while and see what happens with it.
First stop...strings & setup then check out tuning,basic chords etc.

G

·
Nice score.
Standard tuning is GDAE.
Picture yourself playing a lefty guitar in a right hand position.

I have the FM62SCE.
I can only play it for a bit because the narrow neck cramps my hand.

String instrument Guitar String instrument Musical instrument Plucked string instruments

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Those entry level fenders can be pretty decent. I learned on the electric version of that one - it was a decent instrument until I put heavier gauge strings on it and the laminate top caved in... lesson learned.

...note to self...stick to lights

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Thanks for the link, shorteyus. I now have extreme GAS for a pair of those Gefell mics used on the mando.

·
Premium Member
985 Posts
I have a Mandolin that I use in a cover band for a few songs. It's a nice change from the standard 4 pc rock/blues/country cover band.
I play:
Wagon Wheel, Darius Rucker
Ho Hey, by The Lumineers
Copperhead Road, Steve Earl
Fishing In The Dark. Nitty Gritty Dirt Band

I have no idea how to play it. I just learned the chords. I take a few solos that I improvise by ear. I just found which frets to avoid in what songs.
The audience seems to love it. Lots of singing along, cheers, hi-fives etc. We get paid. We get repeat gigs and recommendations...Meh. It works.

·
Premium Member
12,980 Posts
Nice score.
Standard tuning is GDAE.
Picture yourself playing a lefty guitar in a right hand position.
LOL !
I'm gonna need more scotch for that ...lots more.o_O:D
I know, I just had one of these ..............

Now I want to try a mandolin. Damn this place. Damn this place to hell!!!

Our drug dealers of choice (i.e. L&M, Tom Lee, et al) should be paying our $15 subscriptions to GC. They get it all back in spades anyways. LOL

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I know, I just had one of these ..............

hahaha

Yesterday I tore her all apart for a good cleaning and some new strings.
When I scrubbed the fingerboard I noticed some pretty deep gouges in the first 3-4 frets from the high strings.
I figured this was as good a time as any to take my first stab at fret dressing.
Turned out pretty good I think ,for what I had on hand,small files,600 or 800 grit wet/dry paper and oooo steel wool.
Took it easy with file ,moved to the paper and then polished up with the steel wool.
Here's how they look now.

I won't be as apprehensive about taking on a guitar now,just need some more/better tools,
Should go alright,guitar frets are like train rails compared to these things.

All in all this thing scrubbed up pretty good .

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Those entry level fenders can be pretty decent. I learned on the electric version of that one - it was a decent instrument until I put heavier gauge strings on it and the laminate top caved in... lesson learned.
I used lights when I restrung...see I listened.:)
Please tell my wife that if you ever see her .B#(*

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.