The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a nice little Godin mandolin which came with a gig bag, a very nice gig bag, but I'm sort of old school and prefer to have hardshell cases for any instruments I take to gigs.

So, I built this.

It's all solid pine, screwed and glued. I wouldn't want to have a cabinet maker examine it too closely, but it's functional and I suspect it will protect the instrument for many years.

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
Looks great! I agree that it will keep it safe for years to come. Do you drink a lot of Crown Royal??? How about a rendition on Purple Rain on that mandolin?? Just kidding of course!

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Hey Milkman, that look's great! I bought my 8 year old son a Jay Turser mini Les Paul. He is doing great and learning quite a bit, but the guitar need's a case. If you are interested in building one, PM me. :wave:

·
Registered
365 Posts
Wow that's very nice. I wish I had access to some woodworking tools. I have so much stuff I'd like to build!

·
Premium Member
16,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
LOL, yeah I was deliberately going for a pimpish purple. It's a bit of a farce on some actual cases I've seen.

I think all told I spent around $65. on materials and lots of sweat equity.

Thanks,

Mike

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Nice job, did a nice job on the interior... A lot cheaper than buying one and built with a little TLC...

·
Premium Member
16,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Hey Milkman, that look's great! I bought my 8 year old son a Jay Turser mini Les Paul. He is doing great and learning quite a bit, but the guitar need's a case. If you are interested in building one, PM me. :wave:

Well I'll take that as a compliment and thanks, but my workmanship on stuff like this is not acceptable for someone else. It's really not terribly hard to do though and I'd be happy to explain how I went about it.

I use a bit of a goofy way to make sure everything lines up.

Basically I build a box, completely sealed on all six sides. Then I scribe a line where I think the lid and case should meet and cut around the outside with a jigsaw. That way you're pretty much guaranteed that the lid will line up perfectly with the case. After that it's a matter of sanding, finishing, installing hardware and then doing the interior.

It's actually kind of fun and a worthwhile way to spend a little time IMO.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Thank's for the advice Milkman. Now that I think about it...might be a great project for my son and I to attempt.
Well I'll take that as a compliment and thanks, but my workmanship on stuff like this is not acceptable for someone else. It's really not terribly hard to do though and I'd be happy to explain how I went about it.

I use a bit of a goofy way to make sure everything lines up.

Basically I build a box, completely sealed on all six sides. Then I scribe a line where I think the lid and case should meet and cut around the outside with a jigsaw. That way you're pretty much guaranteed that the lid will line up perfectly with the case. After that it's a matter of sanding, finishing, installing hardware and then doing the interior.

It's actually kind of fun and a worthwhile way to spend a little time IMO.

·
Premium Member
16,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank's for the advice Milkman. Now that I think about it...might be a great project for my son and I to attempt.

Now THAT would make the case valuable indeed. Imagine how proud your little guy would be to show off a case you and he built together.

Good luck!

·
Premium Member
16,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
that's a very nice looking case and the mandolin is gorgeous too. Do you by any chance have any sound clips of you playing it?
No but that will be quickly rectified. I just got the mandolin last week. I'll try to bang out a couple of video clips this week.

Thanks,

Mike

1 - 15 of 15 Posts